Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM

140 posts, read 395,653 times

Advertisements

I was about to post pics until I seen the unfortunate posts that ensued after I posted what is in my rental unit. To first answer some of the questions: Less than 10 rentals have the washer/dryer in the towers; white appliances; and rules are typical (no sub-leasing, no one can move in that was not on application, pay your rent on time.. basics) We're probably moving in before the co-ops because they said after 120 days we will have to be re-approved and they are trying to avoid that. Also, we have less paperwork because, after all, we are only renting...

With that being said, I do not understand how any co-op owner is being duped or feel disappointed? You are about to become owners of a beautiful, luxurious apartment which you would not be able to afford if it were in Manhattan. You are right across the bridge from the city and transportation is all around... So how were you duped again? By the way, VIA VERDE is the only building of its kind in the North East region!! YOU WILL BE OWNERS, UNLIKE THE REST OF US THAT WILL HAVE TO EVENTUALLY MOVE...

So with that being said, it was kind of shocking that the "ghetto" comments ensued right after I said what was in my apartment... I would almost feel offended but I know who I am... I guess us poor folk shouldn't have a dishwasher because GOD FORBID we enjoy a nice amenity or two...

By the way, I am pretty sure most of you were not born with a silver spoon in your mouth,, You had to work to where you are at right now and I am also sure if you were in my place right now, you will feel elated that you have the benefit of enjoying this place until you get where you want to be. If I'm not mistaken, JBronxite, you said you were moving from your mother's home... Correct? This means you are slowly stepping up into a new part of your life... Everyone has to start from somewhere... I KNOW you are paying more, but you also OWN your co-op...

Remember, I am sure if you could afford a luxury apt in Manhattan, you would have bought an apartment there. Do not start that stereotypical crap or feel sorry for yourself because less than 10 rentals have a washer and dryer... Be grateful for what you have and I pray I do not become as ignorant and close-minded as some of you on this forum when I finish my DPT Program and become a fully productive citizen as you all are...

Last post for me... Enjoy.

Twinmami- good luck on your venture towards finding a new home and I hope you get into St. Ann's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:42 AM

38 posts, read 59,833 times
@ Icouncil That was a GREAT RESPONSE!
Thank you so much. send me your email via private message so we can keep in touch....

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM

109 posts, read 205,821 times
@lcouncil- Sorry if you felt offended by the post but do not take it personal. The statements are based off of what was told to us during meetings with the selling agents and advertisement. I think it is great that you guys have amenities too but I am entitled to my feelings of being mislead am I not? Yes I am very happy to be buying and if they would have said from the start that all units would have similar things I still would have bought my apartment. Also I did say we are paying more solely based on what was on our application and what can be proven.

For myself, my concern is after seeing the types of comments regards Northrose and SEEING the behavior at my boyfriends old low income building. More often than not there is one bad apple that spoils the bunch. You are obviously college educated, eloquent, and well informed so this is not you. If anything you TOO should be concerned about reporting any ghetto behavior that you may see.

I know many of people that I graduated college with that are in social service jobs earning the salaries that are eligible to rent at VV.

Yup, I live at home with my mom four subway stops away. I can afford to live in a luxury apartment in Manhattan but why would I pay double the money for half the space. Aside from that, The Bronx is home. I made the financial decision to stay at home once I returned from college so I can save money. I am 25, grew up in the South Bronx, went to High School a few blocks away from VV, played softball at the field right next to VV... I definitely don’t think I am better than anyone else. Trust this is out of frustration, I have had the Via Verde advertisement up on my vision board for over a year now.

This is a joyous time to be celebrated for everyone. I definitely don’t want the relationship to begin sour. We need to be a community. Really sorry if you took offense to how anything was expressed.

Last edited by JBronxite; 05-04-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Also, rereading my post I never said that the renters should not have the same amenities nor did I even imply it. And again, I said we are paying more because we can afford to do so.

In addition our purchase agreement has stricter rules outside of move-in dates with speficific verbiage regarding who can access the grounds "visitors of the residents" so it is not far fetched that we thought there were other rules aside from just moving in.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM

140 posts, read 395,653 times
I completely understand where you are coming from and the only reason I am disappointed in the comments is due to the fact that they were not mentioned UNTIL I said what was included in my rental...

JBronxite, I was merely using you as an example of how people have to start from somewhere to get where they are going. I was not referring to you nor am I referring to anyone in particular for that matter.. But you actually proved my point even further. Why pay double the cost in Manhattan when you can get more for your money here right? The co-op owners are definitely BLESSED to say the least.. I am sure you are grateful but I can admit I easily became frustrated when MRSHAVOK, mentioned she was being duped? Buildings like VIA VERDE do not come around too often...
It's mind boggling how the forum quickly led to where it did and I was simply disappointed, more than anything...

As for the selling agents, I guess that is there job... To try to sell the co-ops as fast as possible??What they were saying wasn't that much from a "lie"... There are less than 10 washer/dryers in the towers and the co-ops have stainless steel appliances... Would that have stopped many from buying their co-op because rentals have dishwashers also? Doubt it...

No sour relationship over here... I am as non-ghetto as it gets... As for Northrose and any other building, I am sure if people stick together, they can remove the bad seedlings when it is time... Does Northrose have co-ops as well or are they all rentals? I am all for having a safe place to reside... I grew up in Long Island and was kind of shocked how some people acted over the past several years that I have lived here. But, I never passed judgment on anyone I did not know and I definitely never suggested a person should not have a certain benefit because of the financial situation they are in.

Hope the co-op owners can move in soon. I believe you consume the duplexes and most of the mid-rise (?) so you don't have to worry about the elevators being congested or any issues of that sort...

Good luck and I will definitely be taking advantage of the roof gardens with my two boys... Hope that is no problem... Kidding...
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-04-2012, 09:00 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
JBronxite...you went to high school at South Bronx HS?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
JBronxite...you went to high school at South Bronx HS?

No, a few more blocks over. Jane Addams HS

Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 AM

48 posts, read 138,767 times
@lcouncil It was NEVER my intention to OFFEND you or ANYONE. Based on everything I was told and read about the co-op units it seemed as though NO rentals had the same amenitites as the co-ops. So if you OR anyone was offended b/c I said I feel duped that's unfortanate and you defintely being taken the WRONG WAY. I never said anything about being ghetto or whatever was stated in your post. As stated by JBronixite this is a community and I come to this site to hear others stories about how there process is going NOT to attack anyone. I am fully aware VV is the only building of its kind in the northeast and I feel more than BLESSED to become an co-op owner but I am sadden you are so offended.

@Jbronxite...I too went to Jane Addams

Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

25 posts, read 43,342 times
I am a co-op purchaser and I would love to see your pics, lcouncil! I am happy for everyone that is getting the opportunity to live a VV, be it renter or owner. We all are having this wonderful opportunity, and it's my hope that we can all work together to make it a truly great place to live with a feeling of a real community. Once again, congrats to everyone!!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 31,974 times
Hello, Everyone. I been reading the post on this forum ever since I was interviewed for the rental apartments back in late February. I decided today to comment for the first time because of lcouncil's response to the co-op's. Wow, kudos to you lcouncil, you put the nail in the coffin lol. I totally felt the same way you felt when they starting saying the comments of what us "renters" have. I feel this building is very beautiful as well and we all should be grateful to be living here, whether the renters or co-op owners. With that being said, I appreciate lcouncil for stating the facts & voicing her opinion. It made me feel like the "renters" are below the co-op owners. Like since they "own" their apartments they get to have all the good stuff. That is the reason why people living in the Bronx are always going to get a bad reputation because people feel all "renters" don't know how to take care of what they have. I hate being a statistic, so I understand you guys are not trying to OFFEND anyone, but what you say speaks volumes. That is why I just had to post a comment because I am not going to be a "statistic". I am moving from a building I have been living in for the past 4 years. I made sure I took care of it. Didn't treat it like garbage, but I felt good inside knowing that I maintained it with what I have. So I know moving to VV is going to make me make sure I do the same here, if not more because of this. In closing, let's not get into judging people when we don't know them from a hole in a wall. I rather lead by example and show them, I too, am blessed to get selected to live at VV and will take care of it as if I "own" the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery