Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM

109 posts, read 205,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTaz10451 View Post
Nice pictures SewerCrawler. Thanks for sharing.

lcounsil: I was told "possibly" the buyers might not have to pay for the gym, whereas, the renters may have to.
I don't think anyone should have to pay, besides how are they going to montor who goes in?

I'm concerned about the bathroom up there. I hope it stays clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM

140 posts, read 395,664 times
Yes. The renters have to pay a fee. I did not ask how much though. I was told the owners receive free membership.
I only have a medicine cabinet. Will probably buy a nice small cabinet to add more storage.
SewerCrawler- I did a huge project for my undergrad degree in urban planning on that development. Definitely one of a kind! Enjoyed every moment of learning about the development.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM

18 posts, read 31,981 times
Sorry forgot to mention I meant no cabinet under the sink. There are a lot of rules, so you think they will let us put a cabinet under the sink? I hope they let us.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM

25 posts, read 43,343 times
I find it weird that anyone would have to pay to use the gym- anyplace I've ever lived that had a gym on-site provided it to residents for free. I would think that the costs of upkeep would be included in our maintenance charge/rent. I guess we will find out eventually though! @Nicobx- what kind of rules did they tell you?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM

140 posts, read 395,664 times
When i asked about the gym, they quoted,"gym membership is available for an additional fee." I didn't ask for the price because i already have a gym Membership elsewhere so didn't bother." Of course i'm not entirely sure how reliable she was as a source but guess we'll see..
Rules are pretty typical.. no subleasing.. no one can live there that is not on the lease.. pay your rent on time.. they also told us they will recommend specific cleaning products that are "green friendly" and wont destroy the floors/etv

Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM

18 posts, read 31,981 times
@NYCsinger..... basically everything lcouncil said. But once I finished viewing the apartment my wife asked about putting an extra lock on the door & the guy said no cause once you do it you have to pay for the door.
@lcouncil.... it's most likely to use the Swiffer products or Murphy oil products, which i already use now to clean the wood floor. When I first moved into the building i'm living in now, the management requested those products because it won't rot the wood floors and keep it "shiny" looking.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,526 times
The owners do not own their apts they lease them.
When you get a co-op apt you don't buy any real estate what you get is shares in a corporation,whose only asset is the property. The corporation owns your apt.

The Corporation allows you to live in your apt through a proprietary lease or occupancy agreement. When you move, you sell your stock in the corporation.

I had a very low lottery number and I turned down buying shares for many reasons; one being what is starting to happen now and will continue.
I knew that there would be problems between share owners and renters over many issues real and percieved it is humen nature the 99% vs the 1% syndrome.

You renters are lucky if things go south with Via Verde you can leave at the end of your leases the co-op share owners are stuck if they can't get a buyer and can loose their investment.

Please be carefull both renters and share owners when you are on your terrace,roof or back yard you have a housing project with criminal elements in it a stone throw from you over looking Via Verde.
I read in the North rose thread that a bottle was thrown from the low income building at a chid causing injury.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
The owners do not own their apts they lease them.
When you get a co-op apt you don't buy any real estate what you get is shares in a corporation,whose only asset is the property. The corporation owns your apt.

The Corporation allows you to live in your apt through a proprietary lease or occupancy agreement. When you move, you sell your stock in the corporation.

I had a very low lottery number and I turned down buying shares for many reasons; one being what is starting to happen now and will continue.
I knew that there would be problems between share owners and renters over many issues real and percieved it is humen nature the 99% vs the 1% syndrome.

You renters are lucky if things go south with Via Verde you can leave at the end of your leases the co-op share owners are stuck if they can't get a buyer and can loose their investment.

Please be carefull both renters and share owners when you are on your terrace,roof or back yard you have a housing project with criminal elements in it a stone throw from you over looking Via Verde.
I read in the North rose thread that a bottle was thrown from the low income building at a chid causing injury.
Have you been to parts of Brooklyn and and Manhattan which are gentrified? There are housing projects right next to condominums and coops of course the criminal element that hangs behind the poor working class flocks will be on the attack for those that have!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
So true Bronxguyanese...and to put it into better perpective...go to the UES/Yorkville along the FDR. There are several towering housing projects occupying the waterfront, while there are several multimillion dollar luxury condos straddling them..literally yards away. Chelsea is no different.

Brooklyn is notorious for "luxury" condos abutting housing projects and section 8 tenements..and they sell like hot cakes. The Bronx, and this Via Verde development is no different. It is a product of living in NYC...so I am pretty sure if plenty of people on the UES can spend multimillions to live next door to housing projects, I think it is not an issue to spend $175K in Melrose.

If you believe you can do better at this price point, this close to the city, at this quality, please let us know.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
So true Bronxguyanese...and to put it into better perpective...go to the UES/Yorkville along the FDR. There are several towering housing projects occupying the waterfront, while there are several multimillion dollar luxury condos straddling them..literally yards away. Chelsea is no different.

Brooklyn is notorious for "luxury" condos abutting housing projects and section 8 tenements..and they sell like hot cakes. The Bronx, and this Via Verde development is no different. It is a product of living in NYC...so I am pretty sure if plenty of people on the UES can spend multimillions to live next door to housing projects, I think it is not an issue to spend $175K in Melrose.

If you believe you can do better at this price point, this close to the city, at this quality, please let us know.
A tale of two cities my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery