Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 9,796 times

Advertisements

Since there doesn’t seem to be much info coming from the Gouverneur Gardens camp I decided to do a little sleuthing.

There are probably no more than 6 units available. According to HPD's 2018 Marketing Handbook (policies and procedures for resident selection and occupancy) Pg. 16, section 4-2 Marketing; sub-section A; Bullet 6, the advertisement period for home ownership (eg, condos, co-ops and small homes) of up to 6 units is 30 days. The original marketing plan (application start & end dates) for these units was from 9/14/18 – 10/5/18 which falls within this criteria.

More than 6 units have an advertisement period of 60 days, which GG did not do. So we know that there aren’t very many units up for grabs, and less so once they honor the only CB preference group listed on the application, veterans.

On 3/19/19 I got an email response from GG property manager that in a few weeks they will start calling people off the one bedroom list, starting at log #1. March 19th coincidentally also happened to be the day that GG management cashed the checks/money orders that were sent in with the applications which supports my suspicion that they're slow AF but that things are in motion nevertheless.

In any case, thought I'd share since sharing is caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,093 times
Thanks for the info!

Are you sure that the Marketing Handbook applies to Mitchell Lamas though? There is no mention of Mitchell Lama in the handbook and all of the information seems to be very tailored to 80/20 and similar developments which are a different animal though also overseen by HPD. Lots of talk about developers, community board preferences, etc. which all do not apply to Mitchell Lamas (the only preference is for veterans in Mitchell Lamas).

Also, it says this:

The advertising period for projects of one to six homeownership units is 30 days. For projects of seven or more homeownership units, the advertising period is 60 days.

I don't think you're interpreting it correctly. Gouverneur Gardens is not a project of 1-6 homeownership units. This paragraph is talking about the entire project (i.e. a smaller building).

Old 05-30-2019, 05:35 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
The Marketing Guidelines do not pertain to M-L developments.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:28 AM

Ah, in that case I'm happy to be wrong here. That just means the possibility of more units available!

Thanks for keeping it fresh ya'll - and good luck to all that are waiting to be called!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:57 AM

Just got off the phone with GG. Man on the phone was very nice (seriously, I have NEVER spoken to anyone with an attitude there unlike some other MLs! lol).

Anyway he said with a log number of 171 the wait would most likely be within the next 2 years. He mentioned the turnover was high as of late (naturally occurring retirement community?) so I'm hopeful it's true. So EziePeezie, if your number is lower hopefully you get in sooner!

We should start putting aside our savings now.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM

17 posts, read 45,981 times
any update on this? anyone getting calls for apartment viewings and such?

Old 09-19-2019, 01:07 PM

Nope or at least not that I know of, and they could just not be updating it online. If you check Mitchell Lama Connect the list has not moved at all. Did you get a number? If so, what's your log?

Old 09-27-2019, 10:48 PM

Hey folks, I was curious about this too.

I sent an email to GG on 9/6 inquiring about a status update. I asked where they were on the 1 bedroom list and if they can give an approximation on when my log number might come up. Here is the response I received, "We are currently still on the old 1 bedroom list. We have not started the new 1 bedroom list and we don’t have an estimate time when a unit will be available."

Their process seems to be ass backward...It doesn't make sense to me that they would open a new list and have folks send in an expensive application fee when they aren't ready to use the new list because the old list hasn't been exhausted.

To me it just feels like an unnecessary money grab. I'm going to stay optimistic but am inclined to forget about this and if they should ever get to my log number, then great.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 11,000 times
Can anyone tell me a bit about GG.
The building, the apartments, the area etc.
Is it a nice place to live. Is there someone in the lobby who receives packages?
Is there security.
I emailed the manager regarding my number on the list and he was not helpful
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
PS I am reading previous threads but want a fresh take on it if possible
Thanks and Cheers!!

Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM

I'm also on the list for GG but to be honest it's one of my least favorite neighborhoods in all of NYC. However a cheap apartment's a cheap apartment! I don't like the area at all but if called I'd take it willingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery