Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,795 times

Advertisements

I don't really care for the two bridges neighborhood either, tbh. But to Shady's point, a cheap apartment is a cheap apartment which I'll happily take.

I just wish the folks at GG would be more forthcoming with their process and whatnot. This whole old list/new list business is misleading and frustrating. Like, the lottery closed and the log numbers were distributed about a year ago - there should be some some kind of movement on the list.

Anyway, whatevs lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 08:17 PM

33 posts, read 49,893 times
Hi everyone, I'm on the Gouverneur Gardens one-bedroom waiting list (totally lucked out with a low log #5X) and called today to confirm I'm still on the list and see if it was moving at all. The woman who answered was great. She said that they've finished the old one-bedroom waiting list, and are up to #2 on the current one. I asked if she had any idea how long my wait time might be and she said it could be this year, could be next year, but it all depends on how vacancies go. She also confirmed that I'm still on the list

I hope this helps! What she said does seem to back up what Shadypines posted a couple of pages ago (the thread about the manager saying there was a lot of turnover lately), so let's hope that's the case and we all get apartments in good time.

I've read a lot on here and am really happy to give back what I've learned. I'm also on the list for St. James Towers but got rejected because of my income being a little too high (I'm a freelancer and my income varies from year to year, they don't average out 1099 income for freelancers like they do in other lotteries). I'm appealing the decision and have my fingers crossed I get reinstated on the list. Anyway, good luck to all!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
I've been following your story with St. James Towers and am rooting for you. I'm so perplexed! Because MLs are allowed to let people in whose rent is higher than the limits and they will just charge them a surcharge. Did you ever bring this up to them? It's even in the Mitchell Lama rules outlined by NYC.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 PM

33 posts, read 49,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I've been following your story with St. James Towers and am rooting for you. I'm so perplexed! Because MLs are allowed to let people in whose rent is higher than the limits and they will just charge them a surcharge. Did you ever bring this up to them? It's even in the Mitchell Lama rules outlined by NYC.
Hi shady, thanks for the good vibes on my appeal, I appreciate it!

Here's what I've found out. Before I discovered this forum I contacted a lawyer familiar with Mitchell Lamas (he's the one quoted in a few articles in Brick Underground) to see if he'd answer general questions, and he was really helpful. He is also somehow involved with GG and said it was a really well-run coop, and a good place to be. He didn't give any specifics on what it's like inside, but it was nice to hear that it's well run.

When my rejection winds started blowing I called him again and he took my call. He said that as of mid-last year (2019), HPD was under a TON of scrutiny with all the bad press/audit results that became public. As a result he said HPD is being extra careful about screening applicants. He thinks HPD would have overlooked my high income year and taken my average 3 year income under consideration to let me in if this happened a few years ago, but not this year.

The mgt. team at St. James said they thought they could let me in the building as a first time cooperator/new person to the building because my 3-year average income was under the income limit. On my initial visit I brought in 3 years of tax returns (2016, 17, 18) and a letter from my accountant stating what my projected income would be for 2019, and everything looked good to them. They called me in for a second visit to have me sign the overage charge they calculated based on my 2018 income (it wasn't bad, something like $80 over the original maintenance charge of $648 or so). They believed I would pass HPD and just have to pay an overage charge for my first year since my 2018 income was artificially high. I thought this was totally fair and made sense, but then I got the call from them to call HPD and things went south.

I went over all this with the person at HPD, but he told me this isn't how it works. He said that HPD only looks at the year prior income, in my case, 2018 - the year I was over income because of a late client payment from work I did in 2017. So based on that, I got rejected. I'm guessing all this is now in place because of the increased oversight and scrutiny into the way they're managing ML buildings. He did say that the late payment might give me a shot at winning my appeal, so that gave me hope. I just sent my appeal back with supporting information showing what/when I billed the client and when they paid, so we'll see what they say.

Technically I guess he's right, but I'm also guessing the rules don't quite say that and they're open to interpretation. The management team at St. James told me they really fought for me. They went over the rules with the HPD contact and showed him where they got their information from to let me in, but HPD wouldn't budge. If the SJT team thought I was over they never would have sent my information to HPD, but what can you do. The rules seem to be so unclear and badly written - if even building management companies are confused, I feel less awful about getting rejected.

Anyway, I hope this helps clarify things! I'll keep everyone posted on the appeal at St. James and any movement on the GG list. Here's to all of us getting called soon and through the application process smoothly!

Old 01-31-2020, 09:08 AM

Rooting for you! That's pure BS on their part. Overages have always been part and parcel of Mitchell Lamas. The controversy is surrounding how the wait lists are handled, not overages/surcharges. I hope you get in!! I'll be thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:26 PM

10 posts, read 9,452 times
Hello all,
I have also been waiting on the one-bed list with a 3X log number. I have not heard anything from them since I sent in my deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTake View Post
Hi everyone, I'm on the Gouverneur Gardens one-bedroom waiting list (totally lucked out with a low log #5X) and called today to confirm I'm still on the list and see if it was moving at all. The woman who answered was great. She said that they've finished the old one-bedroom waiting list, and are up to #2 on the current one. I asked if she had any idea how long my wait time might be and she said it could be this year, could be next year, but it all depends on how vacancies go. She also confirmed that I'm still on the list

I hope this helps! What she said does seem to back up what Shadypines posted a couple of pages ago (the thread about the manager saying there was a lot of turnover lately), so let's hope that's the case and we all get apartments in good time.

I've read a lot on here and am really happy to give back what I've learned. I'm also on the list for St. James Towers but got rejected because of my income being a little too high (I'm a freelancer and my income varies from year to year, they don't average out 1099 income for freelancers like they do in other lotteries). I'm appealing the decision and have my fingers crossed I get reinstated on the list. Anyway, good luck to all!

Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 AM

Have patience. We're in the middle of a pandemic.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:20 AM

I just heard back from someone at Gouverneur. They are currently on log #1 on the one bedroom list so lots more waiting to do! Lol.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:30 AM

Just wait it out

The people at the office there are pretty nice. Do you like the area? Have you visited? I've been around there many times and it's not my favorite, but I'd still take it.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Just wait it out

The people at the office there are pretty nice. Do you like the area? Have you visited? I've been around there many times and it's not my favorite, but I'd still take it.
I haven't been to the area but I'll be sure to give it a visit sometime before they contact me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery