Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 09:42 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
Some units in this building are described as "micro" - both market rate and lottery. Not sure how I feel about that.
Here's one of the multiple articles I've read about it: https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/06/266...west-side.html
All new buildings being built will have smaller apartments with less sq ft. That's just the way things are going with real estate. If you want a big apt seek out a prewar building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 10:20 AM

347 posts, read 355,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
All new buildings being built will have smaller apartments with less sq ft. That's just the way things are going with real estate. If you want a big apt seek out a prewar building.
You are misrepresenting things; I just moved into a brand new 570 sf lottery unit. These units in the 96th building are 290-340 sf, hence the term "micro." There is no comparison between these micro units or "pre-war" and my current apartment.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Where do you see that the micro units will be for lotto? In your article it says there will be "80 micro units marketed to seniors", there's no senior preference category in the lotto listing as I would expect if these units were going to be filled via the lotto.
I didn't say there were; however, there are - see article below, page 11. The description on the lottery page about the studios/electricity prompted me to look into this. There are many online sources for info on this building -
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/manhattan...ect%20_HPD.pdf

Old 12-18-2023, 10:24 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
You are misrepresenting things; I just moved into a brand new 570 sf lottery unit. These units in the 96th building are 290-340 sf, hence the term "micro." There is no comparison between these micro units or "pre-war" and my current apartment.
Good for you. Is this a studio, 1br, or 2br unit?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Good for you. Is this a studio, 1br, or 2br unit?
1 bd

Old 12-18-2023, 11:01 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
Some units in this building are described as "micro" - both market rate and lottery. Not sure how I feel about that.
Here's one of the multiple articles I've read about it: https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/06/266...west-side.html
Quote:
I didn't say there were; however, there are - see article below, page 11. The description on the lottery page about the studios/electricity prompted me to look into this. There are many online sources for info on this building -
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/manhattan...ect%20_HPD.pdf
I mean, you did point to the first article that then doesn't mention what you said...?

Regardless, I wonder if the statement from the first article is true, that they'll be for seniors. The YIMBY article is also a bit more recent (2021) so maybe thing's have changed since the 2019 presentation. The fact that the micro units may be furnished (per the 2019 presentation anyway) may make them a lot more functional as the furniture would be designed for the space, could be interesting. A few years ago, I would have been thrilled with a new, furnished studio. I guess we'll have to see what actually occurs as both sources are pretty old. Once people start touring, they'll have to report back.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I mean, you did point to the first article that then doesn't mention what you said...?
It does mention what I said. My concern is about the entire building; not the lottery units. When you have micro units like this, you are not encouraging long-term tenants, lottery or not. There will be high turnover; that coupled with the no fee amenities makes me wonder about the building longer term.

Quote:
Regardless, I wonder if the statement from the first article is true, that they'll be for seniors. The YIMBY article is also a bit more recent (2021) so maybe thing's have changed since the 2019 presentation. The fact that the micro units may be furnished (per the 2019 presentation anyway) may make them a lot more functional as the furniture would be designed for the space, could be interesting. A few years ago, I would have been thrilled with a new, furnished studio. I guess we'll have to see what actually occurs as both sources are pretty old. Once people start touring, they'll have to report back.
Agreed; things could have changed - however, the comment in the lottery description about the stoves in the studios, plus the floor plan of the studio, confirms for me that the units are "micro" and, personally it concerns me not just for this building, but for lottery units in all buildings going forward.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:19 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,437,407 times
Quote:
It does mention what I said. My concern is about the entire building; not the lottery units. When you have micro units like this, you are not encouraging long-term tenants, lottery or not. There will be high turnover; that coupled with the no fee amenities makes me wonder about the building longer term.

Agreed; things could have changed - however, the comment in the lottery description about the stoves in the studios, plus the floor plan of the studio, confirms for me that the units are "micro" and, personally it concerns me not just for this building, but for lottery units in all buildings going forward.
Your original claim was that the micro units would be for MR and lotto, the article you cited didn't say that at all, in fact it said they were seniors and the lotto doesn't have a senior preference. The older presentation you shared later shows micro for lotto residents, we will have to see what actually occurs.

If the micro units are for seniors, as the more recent article states, that could actually be great for long-term residents. Seniors tend to want to downsize, have less maintenance, cleaning etc. Again, we'll have to see. But I don't think there's a problem with say, younger folks who move to the city after collage or locals who move from home for the first time having a nice, furnished space, in a convenient neighborhood from say age 22-28 when maybe they are ready to live with a partner or have children and need more space, particularly if the price is cheaper than a 1br in the area. Some people love to live small.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:42 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
1 bd
Big 1br - congrats!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:07 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
(Yes, there is a trend toward smaller units both lottery and not. There are exceptions however. I have been in a Studio lottery unit that claims to be 1000+ sq. It was large. Due to the building and floor footprint I suspect it was too hard and/or too expensive to configure the space as a 1 or 2 bedroom, so they went ‘loft’ style and called it a studio.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery