Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 12:30 PM

98 posts, read 61,956 times

Advertisements

Just two cents here, regardless of the language we use (“micro”), Manhattan apartments will usually feel “micro” to folks situated in outer boroughs, and that goes for market *and* lotto apartments. I think a lot of folks excited about this lottery, if fortunate to view, will realistically have to adjust expectations because even if it’s not “micro,” it’s Manhattan, so the space concession will be different from a Queens and Brooklyn building (I know we’ve seen a lot of “small” borough lottos in these past few years, especially in new builds/luxury buildings, so not ruling that out). The sell here is <$5k (market) for an apt in this particular neighborhood. Expect smaller (I’ve landed in decent sized apts so I know they exist, but small-er than the same-priced apartment 30 min away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 12:40 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
You are misrepresenting things; I just moved into a brand new 570 sf lottery unit. These units in the 96th building are 290-340 sf, hence the term "micro." There is no comparison between these micro units or "pre-war" and my current apartment.

You need to learn how to read, it didn't say all the apartments were a certain size. They range from studio to 3 bedroom!

You are in a 1 bedroom and those are studio sizes that are 300 sq ft. Of course, they will be smaller. But talking about smaller apartments in new buildings, yes they are built smaller.
Pre war a 1 bedroom would be at least 700 sq ft. I had a prewar studio 600 sq ft. Bigger than your current new 1 bedroom. Learn a bit.

It's funny though you wouldn't consider a micro studio yet complain you couldn't find anything affordable then say your parents pay your rent. You all over the place my friend.

Anyways enjoy your new 1 bedroom, 559 sq ft apartment.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:12 PM

347 posts, read 355,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You need to learn how to read, it didn't say all the apartments were a certain size. They range from studio to 3 bedroom!

You are in a 1 bedroom and those are studio sizes that are 300 sq ft. Of course, they will be smaller. But talking about smaller apartments in new buildings, yes they are built smaller.
Pre war a 1 bedroom would be at least 700 sq ft. I had a prewar studio 600 sq ft. Bigger than your current new 1 bedroom. Learn a bit.

It's funny though you wouldn't consider a micro studio yet complain you couldn't find anything affordable then say your parents pay your rent. You all over the place my friend.

Anyways enjoy your new 1 bedroom, 559 sq ft apartment.
Goodness; you are one angry New Yorker. Maybe someday you'll reread my posts, and yours, and see how ridiculous you are. Happy holidays!

Old 12-18-2023, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Big 1br - congrats!
Thanks! It's beautiful and I'm very very fortunate. No more bugs and everything is pristine.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Your original claim was that the micro units would be for MR and lotto, the article you cited didn't say that at all, in fact it said they were seniors and the lotto doesn't have a senior preference. The older presentation you shared later shows micro for lotto residents, we will have to see what actually occurs.

If the micro units are for seniors, as the more recent article states, that could actually be great for long-term residents. Seniors tend to want to downsize, have less maintenance, cleaning etc. Again, we'll have to see. But I don't think there's a problem with say, younger folks who move to the city after collage or locals who move from home for the first time having a nice, furnished space, in a convenient neighborhood from say age 22-28 when maybe they are ready to live with a partner or have children and need more space, particularly if the price is cheaper than a 1br in the area. Some people love to live small.
My original post said many things that you don't want to read, but that's fine. I hope you find your dream home, or more people to argue with about nothing, if that's your preference. Again, I have concerns about this lottery, but it's great that you don't.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:31 PM

98 posts, read 61,956 times
Quote:
Thanks! It's beautiful and I'm very very fortunate. No more bugs and everything is pristine.
That’s awesome, and I wish you a happy and comfortable stay in your home.

To be frank, some people in this thread debating with you and defending this building have, in recent history, dismissed very similar buildings with the same price/size considerations as “pricey” and “too small”. It gave me whiplash lol, and is why I think the people most excited here are the ones who will have to adjust their expectations in person the most, or maybe their preferences truly evolved. It’s odd, but we’re all just passing time here, I guess, so take it with a grain of salt.

Carry on with your day in peace, and happy holidays!

Old 12-19-2023, 06:33 PM

86 posts, read 51,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
this building is nowhere near done either

I drove by there today. The exterior looks mostly done.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:52 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,439,550 times
Quote:
Some units in this building are described as "micro" - both market rate and lottery. Not sure how I feel about that.
Here's one of the multiple articles I've read about it: https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/06/266...west-side.html
^^ your original post is 2 sentences ....says "many things" (and included a source that doesn't support your claim)...lol k

Quote:
My original post said many things that you don't want to read, but that's fine. I hope you find your dream home, or more people to argue with about nothing, if that's your preference. Again, I have concerns about this lottery, but it's great that you don't.
No arguing, you're going in circles and not making much sense. Don't you worry about me, I love my home.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:02 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,605,106 times
Quote:
It does mention what I said. My concern is about the entire building; not the lottery units. When you have micro units like this, you are not encouraging long-term tenants, lottery or not. There will be high turnover; that coupled with the no fee amenities makes me wonder about the building longer term.

Agreed; things could have changed - however, the comment in the lottery description about the stoves in the studios, plus the floor plan of the studio, confirms for me that the units are "micro" and, personally it concerns me not just for this building, but for lottery units in all buildings going forward.
You must not have been in NYC for a long time. I know people in the same studio for 40 plus years, some smaller than 300 sq ft. I don't know why you think size would matter how long someone stays in an apartment or not. Not everyone needs space. The whole point of living in the city is to use all the city has to offer. As someone who had an apartment on 96 street you can't be the area. So much to do and has so much to offer.

Old 12-19-2023, 08:53 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Restaurant scene is kind of mid, but it's hanging in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery