Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM

12 posts, read 20,004 times

Advertisements

I been to NY a few times I never had any latino person say anything out of the way to me.. Maybe I have to live there to see it.. In southern Cali Mexicans are cool with blacks now of days but that don't mean every crime is a hate crime.A lot of dudes are just waiting to rob you.. You go in the wrong hood it don't matter what color you are things happen.. That is for every where in the world. I don't think not much is racial now I just think people like to make it about it.. I know some places in the south You can be white black jew latin chinese you wont make it out.. These places hate equally.. The Mexicans I have come across have been nice to me I even hung out at the protest rally when they were protesting that AZ law that is about to go in.. Nothing but love.. People have to realize gangs are gangs thugs are thugs. When you in the wrong place at the wrong time don't take it personal baby it has nothing to do with your race but dudes gotta eat too. haha..I mean as far as calling somebody a race that they are not that happens to anybody I called this girl that was Indian pakistan and she got pisseddd. You would of thought I called her a ***** or something.. Some people just make a big deal about culture that they are over sensitive about it..

Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 AM

190 posts, read 684,267 times
I think that this would explain some of why the girl freaked out:
MiamiHerald.com | Afro-Latin Americans

Suffice it to say, most of the world tends to look at being 'black' in more complex terms than we do in the States, where the 'one drop rule' still applies.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
That had to be the strangest article I've ever read. It's one thing to look white and be told you're black because a parent or grandparent was black, such as Rashida Jones., Quincy Jones' daughter. To look black, have very little or no white ancestry but still think you're white, that's bizzare. Now I understand her reaction. She probably thinks that weave on her head was growing out of her scalp. We have done a job on black people. I wanted to have a child with a black woman but it would break my heart to see that child reject her heritage, black or white just because of the insane rules society has put on us. Blacks in America have at least kept their self-esteem. Maybe Black Domenican will one day learn from Black Cubans, Black Puerto Ricans and Blacks here in the states.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That had to be the strangest article I've ever read. It's one thing to look white and be told you're black because a parent or grandparent was black, such as Rashida Jones., Quincy Jones' daughter. To look black, have very little or no white ancestry but still think you're white, that's bizzare. Now I understand her reaction. She probably thinks that weave on her head was growing out of her scalp. We have done a job on black people. I wanted to have a child with a black woman but it would break my heart to see that child reject her heritage, black or white just because of the insane rules society has put on us. Blacks in America have at least kept their self-esteem. Maybe Black Domenican will one day learn from Black Cubans, Black Puerto Ricans and Blacks here in the states.
The job hasn't been done on all of us. Look around and you'll find a lot of black people who fully love ourselves (including "that hair" as 1nevets idiotically remarked) and don't need to hate white people in order to feel good about ourselves.
I think you should spit in the face of society by having a child with her and raising her to accept both heritages, regardless of what anyone else tells her. Nothing will change unless people want it to change.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
It's one thing to look white and be told you're black because a parent or grandparent was black, such as Rashida Jones., Quincy Jones' daughter. To look black, have very little or no white ancestry but still think you're white, that's bizzare. Blacks in America have at least kept their self-esteem. Maybe Black Domenican will one day learn from Black Cubans, Black Puerto Ricans and Blacks here in the states.
I have seen this same situation as well. A woman in my office (who even says that we look like mother and daughter) said that in DR her family would cringe at being called "black" so when I saw a pic of her family (they look like brown-skinned AAs) I asked her what they are considered and she said, "Indio". What is an Indio?

Now, I am familiar with the Trujillo era and Haitian hatred but how did the African pride movement skip over DR when it managed to take hold throughout the English speaking Caribbean and in Cuba from the late 60s - 80s? Trujillo was long dead by then.

Also, are the darkest-skinned Dominicans in such abject poverty over there that they cannot afford to come to the US? I really think they'd have more opportunity here as long as they're willing to learn English.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
You're right but "that hair" seems to be the biggest anxiety Domenicans have with being black. Sorry about the hair comment but with the black women I've made out with I've had mix feelings about it. One girl had really soft and spongy hair and she didn't mind me touching it and it looked and felt natural. I loved her hair and by looking at it her hair reminded me of Vanessa's hair from The Cosby Show. Another girl I dated had a weave and when I played with her hair I felt the objects in it and it gave me an unsettling feeling. Another girl had so much product in her hair that it was oily and hard. I guess it's the way some women take care of it that bothers me.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 AM

197 posts, read 636,360 times
There are Black Latinos and White Latinos, Mulatto Latino's. In PR and DR the native population is almost non existent. The vast majority are White, Black or Mixed White and Black. Latino is NOT a RACE. Its a culture. Most Mexicans (Native's even though most claim Mestizo, the majority have mostly native blood) have racism against PR and DR's because they are a different race just like White and Black racism against each other. I find it funny when someone who looks like Cameron Diaz is racist against white people, or someone who looks like Jose Reyes is racist against black people. Just because you or your relative's came from a spanish speaking country doesn't make you a different race. Also I grew up in a very mixed area where the population is probably 40% white, 35% Latino (mostly PR and DR), 25% Black. In High School most of the hispanics used the N word and pretty much thought they were black and hung out together, years after high school that has changed and I rarely see Blacks-Hispanics hanging out together, and you see a lot more Black-Hispanic racism in older ages than teenagers/ children.

Last edited by Met8568; 07-17-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-17-2010, 11:28 AM

966 posts, read 2,446,259 times
It goes back to what I said before. I think it depends on the type of person. I am a bit biased obviously, as an instructor, but my college students don't seem to have any serious issues or prejudices. I see little evidence of the culture war between Blacks and Latinos in NYC, in contrast to the nonsense that is developing here in Madison. I think we have to figure in regionality, education, economic status, gang affiliations, etc.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
You're right but "that hair" seems to be the biggest anxiety Domenicans have with being black. Sorry about the hair comment but with the black women I've made out with I've had mix feelings about it. One girl had really soft and spongy hair and she didn't mind me touching it and it looked and felt natural. I loved her hair and by looking at it her hair reminded me of Vanessa's hair from The Cosby Show. Another girl I dated had a weave and when I played with her hair I felt the objects in it and it gave me an unsettling feeling. Another girl had so much product in her hair that it was oily and hard. I guess it's the way some women take care of it that bothers me.
It's true, a lot of women with very curly or kinky hair don't know how to take care of it properly. But meh, I've come across many a non-black woman with greasy, broken, and crispy hair or terrible weaves (and of course, they don't want to listen to my advice ). If Dominicans are so worried about something so superficial...well...sucks to be them. That's a whole 'nother topic altogether though.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree, I live in mott haven and mexicans and blacks out right avoid each other I'm not sure if it is the inferiority complex or just a language barrier problem. To some black people I know they say mexicans are easy targets. Also lots of dominicans don't like mexican they chase them down. Blacks in mott haven also chase down dominicans aswell. It seems that the fleeing puerto ricans hold a relative peace that's not so fragile with other ethnic groups. Puerto ricans are very accepting. I grew up in a predomiantly puerto rican niegborhood and all the ricans, even till now assumed I was puerto rican because of my looks physiq and swag. but they did not know I was first generation guyanese american. However many puertoricans took me and accepted me as a. Brother, family, friend mentor etc. They thought all guyanese were indians but no. Out of any ethnic group in nyc puerto ricans had the biggest impact on me.
I respect that..Im a mixed Latino dude, I just speak alot of spanish, cause my brother and sis are Puertorican..I actually believe that the faster the particular Latino group can assimalate into the culture here, the easier it is for them to get along with other cultures and co exist in the same neighborhoods..It just depends on the individuals drive to learn english and assimalate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City