Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
Yes, I have.

It is all for show. They aren't just "looking for" firefighters. They also advertise positions like EMS/Paramedic, Inspector, and others that I don't remember now. Regardless, it's a joke of a tactic that is simply designed to give people a false sense of hope. I remember filling out their papers for all the positions. Got a call back in April or May where they wanted used to come down to MetroTech for an information session. We were told all about the job, benefits, potential schedules, etc.

We were also told that we would have to take physical tests sometime in the summer and if we passed those, we'd have a good chance of making it to the class starting in January of 2011. This class was going to be basically a training class, we'd have to maintain a minimum average (I forgot what it was) and we'd be certified as long as we passed the exam. Summer came and went, never heard a peep from them. One day in September, I wondered, "What's going on?", and decided to call them. I was told point blank that there were no evaluations and there would be no classes in January.

"So what about everyone who attended that seminar?"
Nothing will happen to them now, but we'll keep them in our database. Right now, we are only looking at those who already have their certifications and it will only be on a replacement basis.

I already knew about the hiring freeze for firefighters, but this is ridiculous.

Yes the recruitment is mainly for show, as has been stated many times already......

Also, yes; many, many people got completely screwed out of the last list because of you guessed it: a B.S. lawsuit.

I'm not exactly sure by your post if you actually took the most recent exam for FF. But if you did, then you're not alone. The same thing happened to several thousand other applicants because of the whining of a literally a few people....

Old 12-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
More of our "bravest" in action. It takes 2 months for this firefighter to turn himself in? That sure isn't brave to me..it's cowardly. And what's worse..we already know he was involved in a hit-and-run and fled the scene, yet he has a 30 day suspension (the maximum allowed by the union) and is STILL on the payroll. Utterly Pathetic.

Firefighter surrenders to police in fatal hit-and-run; accused of 'texting and speeding'

Uhhhh yeah. The guy is a POS. What is your point? There are POS's and corruption in every agency and every area of every part of this city, country, and world. This happens with the cops, mta, corrections......you name it. And forget about the non-city workers. Happens ALL the time. You just don't hear about it as much.

You're still not doing very well at this whole internet thing......

Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 PM

Also, do you feel that the two firefighters who died today in Chicago deserved what they got, you goddamn *****? Probably not because one of them was black right? (And yes Chicago is also at a stand still with current hiring because of it's "racial discrimination")

Oh and they were searching for homeless folk and vagrants who may have been living in this abandoned building when they gave their lives. But nah, they are in no way heroes.....

Last edited by availableusername; 12-22-2010 at 11:56 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM

Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I understand this...my problem is this fundamentally:

We know he was involved in the crime, AND he fled. It took him 2 MONTHS to surrender.
And what was the result? He is on the payroll until the investigation is resolved, who knows how long that will be and he was slapped with a whopping 30 days suspension. The Maximum allowed. WOW.

No problem with that? You think in the private sector he would be on the payroll for an undetermined amount of time and get a maximum 30 day suspension?

It's one thing for the guy to be a POS, it's another for the Fire Dept to "stand by him" when he fled the scene of a crime and took 2 months to surrender. There is a fundamental problem here which encourages this sort of reckless/drunken behavior the Fire Dept is oftentimes known for. Why worry about anything....you can do what you want..you will be on the payroll and get a 30 day suspension...so who cares.

And I am not happy to hear about anyone being killed in general, especially when they are trying to help people. I think the real heroes are those out there who are helping people FOR FREE all the time, the families doing the right thing and struggling to make ends meet, the volunteers who give their free time to those in need, and anyone putting their life on the line for others, which includes Firemen who are employed to do so. If they did not abuse the system so much and cared about the communities they served and had a vested interest in this city, I would hold them in higher regard.

When you have a fire in your home and they do much more damage to your home than the fire would have done, and they tell you too bad hope you have insurance..you come tell me who the hero is.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I understand this...my problem is this fundamentally:

We know he was involved in the crime, AND he fled. It took him 2 MONTHS to surrender.
And what was the result? He is on the payroll until the investigation is resolved, who knows how long that will be and he was slapped with a whopping 30 days suspension. The Maximum allowed. WOW.

No problem with that? You think in the private sector he would be on the payroll for an undetermined amount of time and get a maximum 30 day suspension?

It's one thing for the guy to be a POS, it's another for the Fire Dept to "stand by him" when he fled the scene of a crime and took 2 months to surrender. There is a fundamental problem here which encourages this sort of reckless/drunken behavior the Fire Dept is oftentimes known for. Why worry about anything....you can do what you want..you will be on the payroll and get a 30 day suspension...so who cares.

And I am not happy to hear about anyone being killed in general, especially when they are trying to help people. I think the real heroes are those out there who are helping people FOR FREE all the time, the families doing the right thing and struggling to make ends meet, the volunteers who give their free time to those in need, and anyone putting their life on the line for others, which includes Firemen who are employed to do so. If they did not abuse the system so much and cared about the communities they served and had a vested interest in this city, I would hold them in higher regard.

When you have a fire in your home and they do much more damage to your home than the fire would have done, and they tell you too bad hope you have insurance..you come tell me who the hero is.
You are at this point quite possibly the most ignorant (and racist I might add) person I have ever conversed with. Once again, you literally have no idea what it is you're vomiting on this thread.

I really don't even know why I keep bothering. It's like a bad addiction or something. I think it is more that I find your mentlity fascinating. It's kind of like a cheesy sci fi novel at this point......

Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Where does race fit into my comment exactly? I didn't mention anything about color or race, just stating facts. Ignorant? Again...I am stating exactly how everything went down..and what the Fire Dept did, and didn't do, to this "Hero."

You keep bothering because I am educating you about the reality of the Fire Dept in NYC, and it is a negative impact unfortuantely. They don't live here, they don't want to live here, and they keep those who aren't "like them" OUT, and have been for 40+ years. MY heros indeed.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM

LOL @ educating me!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Holy moly.....

Anyway, go back and read my posts. Particularly #33. You may learn a thing or two......I know all the people in your life have told you that the white man's fire dept are the only ones who have shady things that go on. I understand how that must have affected you. But the truth is that every agency in every municipality in every area of every state has shady things goin down (read that again if you need to). EVERY AGENCY. And nevermind the private sector. LOL @ that argument. You're a silly one my friend....

Oh and no that particular post didn't have racist overtones. But pretty much every other one has.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 AM

Meh, I didn't think you would respond. I'll leave you with a solid fact since you claim to be so big on your "facts"

FACT: No other group of people in this city claim discrimination against the fire department aside from a SELECT FEW african americans. This includes chinese, japanese, koreans, indian, bangledash, middle eastern, israeli, hasidic, trinidadian, and yes hispanic. You read that last one right? As I've told you before, the hispanic fraternal organization wants nothing to do with any lawsuits or BS like that. It is demeaning and insulting and I salute them for it.

The only ones whining that they want to be handed the job are a very select few group of african americans, who are having racist propaganda spewed at them by the leaders of the Vulcan Society.

And keep in mind that all of the other groups of people I mentioned (and there's more) make up FAR less than the african americans do in the dept.

You've got nothing to dispute this, and I expect the same tired drivel if you do decide to answer at some point.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Availableusername is rewriting history...let's talk about why people are whining...people of all colors. Read the article from the NYTimes and learn what the Firedept is all about: FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

Here are some interesting facts from the article:

"There’s no question that there is something very wrong with how the FDNY adds new employees. For nearly 40 years, various courts have issued injunctions to correct the miserable record of non-white hiring. New York’s fire department may, in fact, be the whitest large institution run by a major city in the United States. Your chance of becoming a firefighter in New York if you aren’t white, Irish, or Italian, and come from a family of firefighters has traditionally been very slim." So why is this the case? This goes unanswered.

"As a result of the city’s inaction, the whiteness of the FDNY is blatant and embarrassing. (How bad is it? The most recent lawsuit by the federal government was initiated by President George W. Bush’s Justice Department.)"

"In 1971, blacks constituted 32 percent of the city’s population, but only 5 percent of the fire department. Almost four decades later, only 3.4 percent of the FDNY is black, and less than 7 percent is Latino. In a city with only a 35 percent white population, the FDNY is about 90 percent white.
" As I said before, 40 years later...the fire dept is the same and they intend on keeping it that way.

"Other city departments don’t have such stark numbers. The NYPD, for example, is 16.6 percent black and 18 percent Latino. Those levels are each lower than the actual population, but the practices used to reach them are within federal guidelines."

"New York’s fire department is also whiter than those in other cities. Of the fire departments in eight of the nation’s largest cities, New York’s is dead last in diversity." Why is that?

"The FDNY perennially can’t seem to lift its minority hiring numbers at all. “This pattern of underrepresentation has remained essentially unchanged since at least the 1960s,” U.S. Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis recently wrote in one of many rulings against the city, later adding, “The more things change, the more they stay the same.”

So while people like availableusername are feeding you the "just apply and work hard and stop whining" lines, the reality is what I have been saying: the system is set up such that people of color are not permitted entry. It has been that way for 40 years, is that way today, and will likely be that way for 40 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City