Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by landerson1565 View Post
I dont think the firefighters should have to take a pay cut to keep the stations open. What money they get I dont beleave is enough let alone have them take a pay cut. I could be wrong on this and dont have the time to look it up, but last i heard FDNY firefighters was getting around 30,000 a year I may be wrong on this.
Yes you are very wrong, from what you heard in Dover PA.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landerson1565 View Post
I dont think the firefighters should have to take a pay cut to keep the stations open. What money they get I dont beleave is enough let alone have them take a pay cut. I could be wrong on this and dont have the time to look it up, but last i heard FDNY firefighters was getting around 30,000 a year I may be wrong on this............
Definitely wrong.
Firefighter Benefits and Salary

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Yeah he is mistaken. Firefighters start out in the 30's and make up to $76,000 after 5 1/2 years. The EXACT same salary as cops, to the cent. A few thousand more than sanitation and corrections. These salaries are barely enough to live an honest middle class life in this city, and you all know that. And again, anybody can sign up and work their heart out to get these careers. Anybody. Despite what people like SoBroGuy will lead you to believe....

Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
Again, if these salaries were barely enough of anything, they would not be so sought after and would not be locked out to local applicants. I would love to live in availableusername's world where simply "anyone can sign up and work their hearts out to get these careers." In his world it doesn't matter who you know...just "work your heart out." If it was just about "working your hearts out" the firedept would not be exactly how it was 40 years ago, or be filled with mostly people who live in LI and Westchester...so don't believe the hype. White LI and Westchester residents simply work harder than city residents? I don't think anyone believes that BS.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 AM

87 posts, read 227,981 times
availableusername answered all of your questions in post #33, the one you didn't want to read

Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Again, if these salaries were barely enough of anything, they would not be so sought after and would not be locked out to local applicants. I would love to live in availableusername's world where simply "anyone can sign up and work their hearts out to get these careers." In his world it doesn't matter who you know...just "work your heart out." If it was just about "working your hearts out" the firedept would not be exactly how it was 40 years ago, or be filled with mostly people who live in LI and Westchester...so don't believe the hype. White LI and Westchester residents simply work harder than city residents? I don't think anyone believes that BS.

You can "not think" whatever you want. It is blatantly obvious that you have a serious chip on your shoulder and refuse to listen to reason. You will not refute any of the points I made answering every one of your questions that you have asked.

You think you understand how civil service works, but you literally have no idea. So again, for the thousandth time, it comes down to the fact that blacks and hispanics do not sign up and come out in high enough numbers to take the test. Recruitment needs to be stepped up, sure. The word needs to be put out there in certain communities, fine. This has been done to death over the past decade. The city is doing everything they can to make it so blacks and hispanics have a much easier shot at getting on, short of handing out jobs to those who simply sign their name.

The job is highly sought after because, yes, it is a secure career with good benefits and a good pension. Just like any other city job. The salary is DECENT for this area. But it is mainly sought after because there is a sense of pride that goes along with the nature of the work. You wouldn't understand this, as you've made abundantly clear a few times in this thread.

So again. The absolute truth of the matter is you sign up, take the test, work your heart out, stay out of trouble, stay in shape, and you'll get on. For you to come on here and claim that having connections to the job moves you up on the list makes you sound idiotic and honestly, just plain ignorant. And I truly hope you don't now or in the future (whatever your situation is) teach your children the nonsense that you spew. It is dangerous to this world and will do nothing but hold people back.

Please respect yourself more and give yourself more credit. Especially for the children.....

Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM

*double*

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
How can you assert that recruitment needs to be stepped up, and the word needs to get out there and that it has been "done to death" over the last decade. Sheer BS. The recruitment is nothing more than a guy reading a book/falling asleep at a table with pamphlets thrown about...you call that recruitment? It is better superficially of course than the "coloreds need not apply" which was standard procedure, however the message hasn't changed.

Why can't we call a spade a spade exactly? We know that these civil service, and most other professions actively denied people based on race as recently as the 70s and it was normal and ok. The nonsense of "working hard" and "just sign up" was fed to people back them, and it's fed to them now, which is why 40 years later, the fire dept is essentially unchanged. The culture has not changed, the attitude has not changed, and they have no interest in changing..and so it will go for 40 more years, it will be essentially unchanged, and people like you will be saying "just work hard" or "we need to step up recruiting" and "they just don't want to apply." Right.

You can choose to live under the delusion that people of color are just too dumb to be firemen (huh?), or that they don't want to be firemen (who wants a great pension, great benefits, and decent salary anyway..not those dumb people of color), but the reality is the same as it was 40 years ago, and will be the same 40 years from now.

We have people of color all over civil service jobs like the NYPD which is a far more dangerous job in fact, but yet not the Fire Dept..so strange right? The NYPD is more reflective of the city as a whole, but not the Fire Dept...it's essentially unchanged...strange huh? Every civil service job in NYC has in fact become more reflective of the changing population over the course of 30 years, but NOT the Fire Dept...weird huh? And according to you, it's because "they don't work hard enough" and "don't sign up"....right.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Holy crap buddy. Never once did I say that "people of color are too dumb to be firemen". You in fact said that. As a matter of fact I said the polar opposite. You (just you, not a whole population) truly need to work on your reading comprehension skills.

And when it comes to recruitment? Yeah a lot of those guys (including people of color) don't feel like it's all that necessary to go crazy hollering out at people walking by about becoming a fireman when there are literally thousand upon thousands of candidates (of all colors) who wait years for the opportunity to test for a few hundred to a thousand spots. One of the first posts of mine in this thread was talking about how recruitment is a joke and probably the biggest money waster for the department. But it needs to happen.

It's interesting how you still haven't addressed the fact that the leaders of the Vulcan society have declined to head up recruitment in the past. Or the test for that matter. I'd still love to get your take on that.

And once again, the NYPD is more reflective because.....wait for it........PEOPLE WANT TO DO IT. SO THEY TRY FOR IT. SO THEY GET IT.

And you also still (among many other points) have not answered me as to why Corrections is disproportionately anti-white?? Should I start whining about that??

Old 12-15-2010, 11:00 AM

172 posts, read 448,257 times
Why is it so hard for you to comprehend? Seriously? Take yourself if you are 29 years old or younger, or if you don't meet that qualification get someone who is, (and by that I mean for the purpose of this little experiment) file the application for the test, TAKE the test, Take the physical, stay out of trouble and in good physical condition...... then you tell me what is UNFAIR about the process. Until then you really can't truly understand the process!

Can it be possible that minorities are really not that interested in becoming a firefighter? Pretty much the same as I have no interst in becoming a Correction Officer, Police Officer, TBTA Officer, MTA worker,...... not that these are "bad" jobs, but just that IM not interested.

I also love your knowledge that "NYPD is a far more dangerous job in fact", how is that YOUR knowledge? have you ever put on either uniform?

just more nonsense from BitterBroGuy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City