Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times

Advertisements

Available...the NYPD and the Fire Dept are both sought after by people of color, yet one dept is more reflective of the city and one is not only not reflective of NYC, but is filled with LI and Westchester residents...strange huh? As for the Vulcans, I have nothing to say about them other than that they are creating a bigger mess and not solving the poblem...and as a result, they are part of the problem.

Bombero you are welcome to believe whatever you like...but when every civil service group in NYC has changed the way the city has changed over the past 40 years, except for one, it begs the question: WHY? And the answers I am hearing are nonsense, plain and simple. I am to believe people of color want to be in every facet of civil service except fire dept? Really? Or they don't work hard enough? The tests are too hard? Yet they can work every other job, including NYPD.

I wasn't buying it 40 years ago (assuming I was alive), I ain't buying it now, and I won't be buying it 40 years from now either.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM

588 posts, read 947,792 times
Forced diversity isn't the answer.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Agreed proroc...the issue is not forced diversity however..it is fundamentally the same problem we had 40 years ago. You have qualified people of color who cannot get in simply because the system is set-up to only allow those who are connected..which is why preferences are given to those who have family members in the fire dept. Since people of color were actively and blatantly denied access until the 70s, which group do you think is likely to have family members in it? And since they are connected...well..it's the same reason we are having this conversation 40 years later, and will have this conversation 40 years from now. Having an uncle in the fire dept has nothing to do with your abilities or skills, yet it is used as a tool to keep the fire dept in a time warp, and keep others out. And that's the mentality of the dept. Period.

All the other talk of "they just don't want to apply" or "you just need to work hard and apply" is all smoke and mirrors, and the same BS they were feeding people 40 years ago.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You have qualified people of color who cannot get in simply because the system is set-up to only allow those who are connected..which is why preferences are given to those who have family members in the fire dept. Since people of color were actively and blatantly denied access until the 70s, which group do you think is likely to have family members in it? And since they are connected...well..it's the same reason we are having this conversation 40 years later, and will have this conversation 40 years from now. Having an uncle in the fire dept has nothing to do with your abilities or skills, yet it is used as a tool to keep the fire dept in a time warp, and keep others out. And that's the mentality of the dept. Period.

All the other talk of "they just don't want to apply" or "you just need to work hard and apply" is all smoke and mirrors, and the same BS they were feeding people 40 years ago.

Honestly man, I didn't want to come out and say this. I really wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and maybe help open your eyes a bit. But at this point it needs to be said:

You are an absolute clueless, and ignorant person. It would not surprise me in the least that you are in fact one of the most racist people walking these streets. I simply feel bad for you, and I hope one day you can lose this chip on your shoulder. Because as I said, if this mentality continues and continues; people you are trying to speak up for will continue to go further and further down.

It's truly sad, and I hope you can work on this.....

Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM

I understand why people would say that, but the question is this: Were the people in 1970 racist for saying they could not work for the fire department because they were not white? Even when the fire dept claimed "all you had to do was apply and work hard." Or were they justified in acknowledging the well known practice and demanding change?

2010 is no different, and that is truly unfortunate. You may call me whatever you want, and the pity should go to all those people who are still hitting the wall and cannot get ahead all because the same people with all the opportunities want to keep it that way.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:19 PM

Again you're dead wrong. Once again. Of course. There are plenty of African American candidates as we speak who are being barred from entering the academy due to the Vulcans and this radical judge. They've been in the media plenty of times recently being quoted as saying the testing process is 100% fair. They are quoted as saying exactly what I have been saying, word for word. That you take advantage of the city's test preps, stay in shape, stay out if trouble, and you can get in. Just like anyone else does ( you still haven't answered the question as to how people of color are currently on the job. Hmmmm...)

And yes, as I stated in my post #33 that you refuse to acknowledge; this is 2010. It's not the 60's or the 70's. If things were actually like that, they no longer are. Please open your eyes. Act like an equal and you will be treated as such. A parent will say the same thing to their adolescent child....

Old 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM

There were people of color in the NYPD in 1970 also, but the policy was to keep them out. You cannot say "look I met a black doctor in 1935 so therefore racism does not exist."

I agree that what we are fed is "act like an equal and you will be treated as such" however, the reality is no matter what you do or act like, you will never be treated as an equal, as our history has proven over and over again. So why try to rewrite history and reality? The fact remains the fire dept is giving the same lip service it was giving 40 years ago..nothing has changed, literally.

Unfortunately, it is 2010, and the fire dept is just like 1960....why is that? The whole world has changed, but not the fire dept in NYC..strange don't you think? Oh right...we don't work hard enough..my mistake.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,554,764 times
Here's a very recent article from the Village Voice in regards to this alleged FDNY hiring problem: FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

Old 12-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Same things over and over again that come out of your mouth. It's obvious to me that nothing would make you happier than people of color never being treated as equals. Being bitter and close minded will get you and the people you try (emphasize 'try') to speak up for nowhere.

To be honest I can say that people of color have better opportunities than whites. Take my gf for example. She is a regular girl from a working class family. No priveleges. No riches. Nothing special at all. She is currently applying to law schools. Schools that would reject her based on her numbers would take a person of color with her exact same numbers in a heart beat. This frustrates her to no end, but what can she do.

So again, I can argue that the world bends over backwards for minorities, but that is not what this thread is about....

Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Here's a very recent article from the Village Voice in regards to this alleged FDNY hiring problem: FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

I was gonna actually post this article for him earlier. But I've realized today that he honestly won't listen to any reason, or even read anything anybody writes, says, or links for that matter. So I said, fack it....

BTW I have met a couple of the guys who were quoted and had their pics taken in that link. Great, standup guys. I hope they get in ASAP. Because yes, SoBroGuy, they have worked hard for where they got to. Can you comprehend that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City