Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,580 times

Advertisements

I saw in the paper that the marina , which was part of the original ABTS community is being sold... So what does everyone think about this? Are you concerned the builder in not that invested in the project anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:34 AM

19 posts, read 62,273 times
Really? I don't like the sound of that. Makes me wonder how the development is doing, financially, overall, after the storm. I am a purchaser, awaiting a home that has been looonnnggg delayed..... now this news about selling the marina - - does not make me feel good! Ugh.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
Competition Launched to Develop Stalled Rockaway Site

Quote:
Several competitions and exhibitions have cropped up focused on rebuilding and sustainable design in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The latest, unveiled at the Center for Architecture today, came together in less than two months and involves a long-stalled site in a "distressed and somewhat ignored" area, in the developer's words, of the Rockaway Peninsula. The more-than-80-acre site in question, Arverne East, was designated for development by L & M Development Partners, Triangle Equities, and the Bluestone Organization seven years ago, but the financial crisis brought the plans grinding to a halt. Following the storm, the developers are ready to resume work, but the old site plan no longer applies. Instead, the developers (and a bunch of other partners listed on the competition site) are seeking input from architects, engineers, interested members of the community, and pretty much anyone else in a two phase competition. The full details and competition brief are available on the official website.
Competition Launched to Develop Stalled Rockaway Site - The Aftermath - Curbed NY

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 AM

nykiddo718718 - I saw that article as well . . . I wonder what that will mean for ABTS. If the plan actually goes forward, and they out up well contstructed middle income housing, then I suspect it would be positive - that strip of land is horrible looking, overgrown & strewn with trash. If the area is built up the right way, it could be beautiful. If, on the other hand, they build low quality structures (that end up empty or more section 8, like you find between B58 - B62), then that sounds like it would have a netagive impact on Arverne by The Sea.

What do you think?

Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
I am no expert on the Rockaways, but I strongly believe mixed use, apartment buildings should be constructed at least along Edgemere Ave and the boardwalk. I say this because ground floor commercial units would go a long way to make the beach vibrant, and provide amenities for residents.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM

I agree.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
That's been done and tried before. It did not work.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Too bad . . . they really need some commercial activity in the area.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
I think they should build a mixture of houses and townhouses. Once nice thing about the Rockaways is that there are so many single family homes there. I wouldn't want it to become too overdeveloped. There are enough apartments in the area that need to be rehabbed. If development in Averne East were coordinated with the resign of Ocean Village (the new owner is rehabbing it) they could easily have amenities for beach goes and residents. A number of amenities for Averne by the Sea residents have already been built, such as the YMCA, Chase bank branch, Stop and Shop, among others.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 6,668 times
I was researching this development prices. They are really the normal high end going prices nothing as they claim a bargain.The prices are not a bargain for the properties they selling for many reasons one mainly because it is an apparent risk to live in the area when all you have in your perimeter is low income and high crime areas. Who will look forward to travel through areas that remind one of Fort Apache to get home? and what if one depends on subway and other public transportations; one must travel through all the brooklyn bad areas in your subway ride to get to nyc and also returning home. Your statistical number for living a long life is drastically reduce because of your exposure to subway crime of those areas. One really has to balance ones priorities such as having good access to the beach; if that is your main motivating factor but than again is this beach worth your peace of mind that someone is not stalking finding out when you not home so you will become another statistic as a victim of opportunity mainly because you live in a house that resembles a convenient target for criminals? I doubt is worth the risk and stress associated with it. I will not bother adding the potential natural disaster that awaits those living so close to the ocean and declare red flood zones.
Also why would someone want to inherit the additional insurance costs, bridge tolls and be limited only to two exits of evacuation in the event of a crisis to evacuate? I know there is a slight relief on tolls for residents but WTF-why even toll people that live in a not highly desirable, densely populate area if they want to promote tourism and comercial activities. Does not make sense to live there or even work there, the developers goal is to get enough suckers to buy into this fantasy ideal of a home by the sea. Apparently they meeting their goals.

Last edited by apasionate; 12-22-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: gramma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City