Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM

68 posts, read 149,417 times

Advertisements

I WISH I could live in NYC. It's my favorite city. I like SO many things from SO many countries and NYC has a lot from everywhere. Not one of my friends who live there hate it. Even my mom's almost 80-year-old aunt loves it and absolutely hated it that she had to leave it. She's been miserable ever since but I don't blame her. She also likes so many things and where she lives now there is hardly anything LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM

68 posts, read 149,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
But generally the visitors I've spoken to said they found locals to be surprisingly friendly - offering directions, etc.
So true! Every time I've been there people have been really nice. Sure there are rude people but those are everywhere, even in gay ol' Paris.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 AM

25 posts, read 49,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
I'd say the majority of people in the city, love the city.

It's not hard to leave. Everywhere else is cheaper.

It's more work to stay.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 AM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
Quote:
I don't understand HOW people live there in the first place if you're not a multi-BILLIONAIRE, or why people WANT to move there. There are various articles in all the financial magazines about how NYC is crumbling from the inside out, and yet, it's STILL the most populated city in the nation.
Ignorance and insanity.

I'm not even a multi MILLIONaire and I live like a king in the best city on Earth.

Crumbing. Hilarious. Has it ever occurred to you that it's the most populated city in the English speaking world for a reason? Do you really think 8 million of us are trapped here against our wills?

Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 AM

205 posts, read 507,853 times
Eh I dont kow. Getting directions from somebody doesnt mean anything. Out of the places I have lived there is a very noticable difference here when it comes to rudeness and hostility. Now if you grew up here and never left your not going to see it. Its what your used to. You have nothing else to compare it to.

As for the question. I would like to move away form NYC. Sure I'll miss the food, the.....the.....well thats about it really lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Ignorance and insanity.

I'm not even a multi MILLIONaire and I live like a king in the best city on Earth.

Crumbing. Hilarious. Has it ever occurred to you that it's the most populated city in the English speaking world for a reason? Do you really think 8 million of us are trapped here against our wills?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:02 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback1983 View Post
Eh I dont kow. Getting directions from somebody doesnt mean anything. Out of the places I have lived there is a very noticable difference here when it comes to rudeness and hostility. Now if you grew up here and never left your not going to see it. Its what your used to. You have nothing else to compare it to.

As for the question. I would like to move away form NYC. Sure I'll miss the food, the.....the.....well thats about it really lol.
Exactly!! I mean sure, if you stop someone and ask for directions, it's not like they are going to shove you and curse you out, but for the most part, the hostility of a lot of people I see walking around Manhattan is pretty obvious.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:40 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times
So whats rude?

Because i've encountered rudeness everywhere i've been...why is NYC so different? I honestly think its all about the perception..

Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 AM

11 posts, read 36,874 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...outh.html?_r=1
This is yet another reason why I fail to see the appeal.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 AM

140 posts, read 269,090 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...outh.html?_r=1
This is yet another reason why I fail to see the appeal.
It is normal for people who are in economic distress to look to move somewhere cheaper. Unfortunately, many working class people - of all ethnicities by the way - have been hit hard by this recession. NYC is one of those cities that attract very ambitious people of all walks of life and so many locals tend to suffer when it comes to competition for jobs. There has always been a constant stream of locals looking to leave for greener pastures as people from all over the world move in. During a recession such as this, that process has accelarated.

But even so, that's a pretty far cry from the premise of your thread. How you can make such leaps of logic based on the posts of a few unhappy people is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City