Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 AM

233 posts, read 720,550 times

Advertisements

okay.... it's probably that I have never lived in a big city, but what's up with all the cars honking their horns ALL night long.

I haven't slept in three days and I'm wondering if it's just the street I live on or if this is something that I will "just get used to" over time.

The big trucks I can take, the police sirens (no big deal), people talking on the street (understandable), but these freaking cars/taxis honking their horns all night long, crazy stuff.

Of course I can't turn my TV on in my bedroom, since I was supposed to have Verizon install my service yesterday morning and their on strike.

Is this something I will just get used to eventually, or do I have to start thinking about moving to a quieter neighborhood????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
okay.... it's probably that I have never lived in a big city, but what's up with all the cars honking their horns ALL night long.

I haven't slept in three days and I'm wondering if it's just the street I live on or if this is something that I will "just get used to" over time.

The big trucks I can take, the police sirens (no big deal), people talking on the street (understandable), but these freaking cars/taxis honking their horns all night long, crazy stuff.

Of course I can't turn my TV on in my bedroom, since I was supposed to have Verizon install my service yesterday morning and their on strike.

Is this something I will just get used to eventually, or do I have to start thinking about moving to a quieter neighborhood????
You probably live on a busy avenue. Use earplugs or move.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 AM

152 posts, read 155,908 times
Lets start off with where do you live.
I'm guessing midtown, because thats the taxi capital. Taxi drivers are worse drivers in the world, they cut you off, stop in front of you on a green light and honk their horn for no reason.
Its a b-tch, its one of the disadvantages of midtown unfortunately... dealing with taxi driver attitudes.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM

233 posts, read 720,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
Lets start off with where do you live.
I'm guessing midtown, because thats the taxi capital. Taxi drivers are worse drivers in the world, they cut you off, stop in front of you on a green light and honk their horn for no reason.
Its a b-tch, its one of the disadvantages of midtown unfortunately... dealing with taxi driver attitudes.
I live on John Street in the financial district. It's a really small street, with not a lot of traffic, so I was really surprised when all this beeping started happening at night.

I will definitely will try the earplugs idea, and hopefully I'll get TV soon and just leaving something on more jarring than the constant beeping.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,376 times
Welcome to NYC TOOT TOOT aye BEEP BEEP

Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Earplugs, or get used to it. Living on busy streets or avenues, it's always like that. Any way to move your bedroom area to another part of the apartment that has a less busy window?

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,376 times
i use to live above Soup burg on 71 and 2nd ave. back int the 90s LOL I swear the bus was stopping at the foot of my bed . I used white noise to clear that up

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
It may just be that they are your new local noises that you have to get used to.

I have a friend who grew up in NYC in Washington Heights, within sight of the George Washington Bridge. At 30 she married and moved to a small town in NJ. She kept complaining that she couldn't sleep at night because of this strange scary sound that kept her up all night. It turned out to be crickets.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I have a friend who grew up in NYC in Washington Heights, within sight of the George Washington Bridge. At 30 she married and moved to a small town in NJ. She kept complaining that she couldn't sleep at night because of this strange scary sound that kept her up all night. It turned out to be crickets.
When I lived in Cleveland I lived within ear shot of the fire station, hospital, police station, airport and train tracks. Needless to say it was a lot of noise!! I STILL miss the sound of the plains landing. It was almost soothing to fall asleep to.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
It's just the last three days or it's been that way for a while with
the cars beeping their horns at night? If it's just the last few days
it's probably have to do with the Dominican day parade. Young
Dominicans usually start celebrating few days eariler before the parade
with fireworks and horns beeping day and night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City