Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ Doomdan thanks for the links to Sunset Park... I guess it does still have a Puerto Rican presence there and it does seem that it may have had a stronger population before... I guess I just never saw them there like I would in an area like Bushwick, Western Portions of Ridgewood, Cypress Hills, Southside Williamsburg, etc. It always seemed to be more mixed to me...

Also the pics do look a little bit like Knickerbocker but much cleaner...
My parents came to Sunset Park in the 80s (around the time many mexican/central american immigrants started arriving) and they said the dominant group was Puerto Ricans. Now it's evened out a lot but on MANY blocks you'll still see Puerto Rico flags everywhere. 57th between 2nd and 3rd, 58th between 4th and 3rd, 49th between 5th and 6th, 53rd between 5th and 6th, 50th-53rd on 6th avenue... all of these areas still have a HUGE puerto rican presence.

And on the Puerto Rican day parade... forget about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb33c...eature=related
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Sunset Park has been heavily hispanic for quite awhile now, so I would imagine Puerto Ricans being a large presence in the area since the oldest hispanic hoods in the city are the Puerto Rican ones.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Bumping this thread cause I found some more info on Sunset Park. Apparently, from the chart this person made, PRs are still the plurality of Latinos in SP, despite the influx of Mexicans.

The Peopling of New York » Brooklyn’s Little Latin America

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Bumping this thread cause I found some more info on Sunset Park. Apparently, from the chart this person made, PRs are still the plurality of Latinos in SP, despite the influx of Mexicans.

The Peopling of New York » Brooklyn’s Little Latin America
Nice find!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

dom't forget to throw queens in there... while the populations in the bronx, brooklyn and manhattan are diminishing the population in Queens is increasing... Areas like Glendale, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Maspeth, even parts of Forest Hills have seen an increase in the Puerto Rican population mainly from middle class folks looking to move out of the hood while remaining in NYC...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Orphaned quote

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
the new generations of puerto ricans are
kinda over nyc; gone on to find opportunities
elswhere, dig it?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

dom't forget to throw queens in there... while the populations in the bronx, brooklyn and manhattan are diminishing the population in Queens is increasing... Areas like Glendale, Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Maspeth, even parts of Forest Hills have seen an increase in the Puerto Rican population mainly from middle class folks looking to move out of the hood while remaining in NYC...
I notice PR flags on some of the cars while walking around Forest Hills the other day. You could also throw in Lindenwood in Howard Beach too. Area is mostly White but also has a lot of Puerto Ricans. Very middle class area too.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:

The Upper Manhattan population of PRs is down, not the case south of 96th.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The Upper Manhattan population of PRs is down, not the case south of 96th.
I though the LES was losing PRs?

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I though the LES was losing PRs?
It might be, but the other neighborhoods of Manhattan South are gaining.

In the case of the LES, you have a greater reduction among the lower income strata, but a gain in higher income earners too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City