Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nobody's saying that it cannot exist here, just that repression on that scale does not exist here.
No, not if you believe the media it doesn't...reporting it is not allowed.
Repression of the poor is as bad in the United Ststes as it is in any of the countries that gets regularly played on the news. The difference between the richest 25% and the bottom 23% iis probably greater here than anywhere else on Earth.

Why should it be ACCEPTED or worse, IGNORED, that the U.S. has the largest portion of its population behind bars? Does this not cause brain cells to tingle in recognition that things are not so okey dokey as the brainless media spouts to the brain-dead population?

Oh yeah...we are the BEST, becasue I read it in the POST and saw it on GE News (that's NBC, BTW.)

OWS has a lot to protest but there is an active movement in the media to ignore it...but let two people denounce the Syrian government and it's page one news in the Times and the U.S. government petitions the UN to intervene. Imagine a foreign country or the UN intervening to support OWS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM

458 posts, read 616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Repression of the poor is as bad in the United Ststes as it is in any of the countries that gets regularly played on the news. The difference between the richest 25% and the bottom 23% iis probably greater here than anywhere else on Earth.

OWS has a lot to protest but there is an active movement in the media to ignore it...but let two people denounce the Syrian government and it's page one news in the Times and the U.S. government petitions the UN to intervene. Imagine a foreign country or the UN intervening to support OWS.
This is exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for the perfect demonstration!

It's idiocy like this that gives your movement a bad name. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so why should anybody take your opinions seriously?

That first paragraph is completely false. I don't think there's a single true statement in it, so I won't even bother countering any of it. The second paragraph is almost as bad. For whatever it's worth, the percentage of the Syrian population actively opposing its government (and getting killed for it) is far higher than the miniscule percentage of the U.S. population that shows up to the occasional OWS rally. There is a question as to whether the U.N. will intervene in Syria because people are dying. As in - dying dead. Being killed by their government. In the hundreds, no less! NOTHING LIKE THAT IS HAPPENING HERE.

By comparing yourself to movements like that, you show yourself as being pathetically uninformed, naive, wannabe fools who are a drain on society.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Lol I can't really believe I read that either...

Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
That first paragraph is completely false. I don't think there's a single true statement in it, so I won't even bother countering any of it.
Because, of course, you CANNOT!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,793,357 times

Afterburner with Bill Whittle: Three and a Half Days - YouTube

Old 02-07-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Because, of course, you CANNOT!
Can't tell if trolling, or just stupid?

Read it and weep: List of countries by inequality-adjusted HDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM

288 posts, read 566,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
As in - dying dead. Being killed by their government. In the hundreds, no less! NOTHING LIKE THAT IS HAPPENING HERE.
A good thing that our President hasn't signed a bill that legalizes killing American citizens by the military anywhere in the world without due process. And good thing that that hasn't already happened.

Aaaaah, the American dream. So nice and cozy. If only those hippies would get off my lawn now.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
If only those hippies would get off my lawn now.
And we could get all the poor people out of Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn to make way for the millions upon millions of gentrifiers with their $200,000 jobs right out of college, sipping their Starbucks glued to their Apple laptops.

The made-up American dream, ala GE News.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,337 times
Quote:
And we could get all the poor people out of Queens, Bronx, and Brooklyn to make way for the millions upon millions of gentrifiers with their $200,000 jobs right out of college, sipping their Starbucks glued to their Apple laptops.

The made-up American dream, ala GE News.

KK, you must be a poor grumpy dude living in your own flith in your rent stabilized apartment. Have you ever seen the TV show Hoarders?

Old 02-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
A good thing that our President hasn't signed a bill that legalizes killing American citizens by the military anywhere in the world without due process. And good thing that that hasn't already happened.
You must know something I don't. So the government has been secretly bombing American cities and slaughtering Americans by the hundreds in the streets? How did I now know about this???

Quote:
Here's the truth: those people would probably find better jobs outside of NYC, and certainly better living conditions on their wages. The gentrifiers would make the city cleaner, more efficient, and raise living standards greatly. NYC would become even more important on the global scene.

I'm not advocating that for my own reasons. But what exactly is your argument against it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City