Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM

66 posts, read 289,580 times

Advertisements

I always thought Far Rockaway had the unofficial title of "The 6th Borough" since it's separated from the rest of Queens and it's really it's own place. From Far Rockaway to the rest of Queens you have to pass through eith Nassau County (Long Island) or Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:40 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

The NYC/NJ phenomenon has to be the most bizarre situation in the US. You don't really hear stuff like this in DC/NoVA/MD.
lol if anything the rivalry is stronger between those states

Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM

306 posts, read 636,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Which place would you vote to be annexed as New York City's 2nd City?

Bridgeport, CT
Do you realize how far Bridgeport CT is from NYC?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:12 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
I think it's time Hoboken considers annexing Manhattan. It would be a good aquisition. It would bring in some extra cash, and some good restaurants ta boot. Just so long as it's not a package deal. The last thing NJ needs is those other boroughs.

If I pay a lot of property taxes to the state of NY, can I say I live there? Pretty please!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted1 View Post
I always thought Far Rockaway had the unofficial title of "The 6th Borough" since it's separated from the rest of Queens and it's really it's own place. From Far Rockaway to the rest of Queens you have to pass through eith Nassau County (Long Island) or Brooklyn.
No.. you don't... it's called Cross-Bay Blvd. and it runs from Far Rock right up through the rest of Queens.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I think it's time Hoboken considers annexing Manhattan. It would be a good aquisition. It would bring in some extra cash, and some good restaurants ta boot. Just so long as it's not a package deal. The last thing NJ needs is those other boroughs.

If I pay a lot of property taxes to the state of NY, can I say I live there? Pretty please!
Paragraph 1: hilarious! priceless! And I wouldn't put it past Hoboken to do this, even if as a publicity stunt.

Paragraph 2: well, OK. But you have to take back that remark about the other boroughs.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,240,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Paragraph 1: hilarious! priceless! And I wouldn't put it past Hoboken to do this, even if as a publicity stunt.

Paragraph 2: well, OK. But you have to take back that remark about the other boroughs.
Hehe.

Just messing around. I like many parts of the other boroughs.
I take the Jersey jokes pretty lightheartedly. I hope nobody gets bent out of shape over my jokes.
The second paragraph was in response to an earlier post where someone said that she hates when NJ people say they are from NY.
Personally, I am proud of being from Jersey and would never say I was from NY. I may tell people I own a home in NY, but if asked where I am from, I always say NJ.
But I just found it funny that that poster doesn't have better things to worry about than people falsely claiming to be NYers.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 71,323 times
Default Sixth borough?

If New York were to incorporate a sixth borough, which of the above would you like it to be, if you have an opinion. Also, along with the potential borough's name, is the ranking the city would ascent to on this list should that entity be made a borough of New York: 1 Mumbai 13,922,125 2 Shanghai 13,831,900 3 Mod cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation

Old 11-28-2009, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 28,286 times
I would Gladly trade Staten Island for Yonkers

Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM

5 posts, read 28,286 times
It's laughable that people would even consider allowing any part NJ to be a NYC borough.Two completely different places.Let Jersey stay Jersey.Beggars belief why more people have'nt chose Yonkers/Mt Vernon over lame old L.i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City