Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times

Advertisements

I ignore. Sorry i didn't pay 104.00 to be entertain by amateurs, to be begged/intimated for money.

True Story - This lady started asking for money and said, " i don't want to rob or kill anyone so please give me some change."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I will give change to a street performer, but will not pull out my wallet to do so, so it depends upon what I have in my pocket

For those in need, I offer to buy a meal/water/juice/coffee/groceries/etc., but may or may not give them the money directly as I do not want to contribute to any addictions. Generally, I try to have a few McDonald's gift cards on hand to give to people who might need a meal. I just have to remember to buy them as i do not go to McDonald's too often. I have yet to be refused when I offer one to someone who asks for money to buy food. And, if I get scammed once in a while as we all do, I'd rather pay the scam tax to the scammer than ignore someone who is truly in need.
I never have fear of wipping out my wallet in most circumstances, but then I don't carry cash in my wallet, and beggars don't take credit cards!!

Offering to buy a meal is something I do often. It is the BEST way to determine those in real human need, as opposed to a drug/alcohol need. On occaision I have been (tellingly) turned down, but rarely.

In my youthful subway riding days, I always thought to carry a few sandwiches along, but never did. I have more than once turned over the lunch or doggie bag I might have been carrying.

Often, when going out, I have noted some homeless person in a doorway or something, I would generally take the doggy bag or ask the waiter to bag up a meal. Leaving the restaurant/bar I would seek out the homeless I saw.

ALSO, working late, my office, as a matter of course, would order food catered. Most of it was never eaten, and was often offered to the office underlings as leftovers (I always thought it a bit insulting to the staff), who would pick thru the leftovers. Yet, most often there w/b platters of food left. Many times, I've gathered the food and taken it down to some homeless on the street. This was back in the day, when homelessness was an even greater issue than today.

The McDonald's gift card is an EXCELLENT idea. I think a supermarket gift card w/b equally as good, perhaps more healthly.

Thanks for the idea!!

Just hope some won't try to sell them to people at a discount for the cash. Hmmmm....

Food in hand is ultimately best, I guess.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM

359 posts, read 329,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
When visiting I do whatever I can to avoid situations like that. You never know when somebodies going to just pull a gun/knife on you. I do think the people who do some type of art or music are worthy of giving something to.

Just a thought/advice to tourist who aren't used to experiencing things like this. Never come out of a store while putting your money way. Don't let people from the outside see that you have cash. Think of excuses in case you're caught off guard. "I don't carry cash on me". Anytime somebody comes up to you just ignore them because they will start to tell you a story about how they are hurting for money and there family is suffering. Just say "no thank you" and keep walking.

*If* you do feel like you'd sometimes like to help out. Keep a quarter or two in your pocket for that exact reason. Don't ever go digging into your wallet. If you keep some spare change in your pocket and they ask you or you want to help out you can quickly reach in, pull it out, seeya later bye.
Guilty...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I give them expired metro cards.
What can they do with that????

Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Aren't those who are 'crazy and don't know where they are....' the most worthy of your charity?

Aren't such people the most incapable of helping themselves and least capable of ENTERTAINING you?

Why is it that those most incapable are most irritating?

I think it most logical, that those most capable w/b most able of extracting largesse from those with the most ignorant personal prejudice.

For example, those with the greatest mental deficiency w/b be the least capable of ENTERTAINING you. While those with the greatest mental capacity w/b the most capable of ENTERTAINING you.

Yet, which is truly in most need of your aid?

Prejudice will always blind one to what is true.
I think you missed my point, I said not including the people that are crazy and have no clue what is going on. I don't mind them. I'm talking about the people that are just sitting with a sign. Or guys that are like "can you spare a quarter". People that look relatively fine, but just don't want to have to try. I don't expect mentally ill people to entertain me (although some of them are interesting), I expect the freeloaders that find it a job to make a sign or proclaim how downtrodden they are walking through subway cars to actually do something of value. I am more apt to contribute if they are playing a song or dancing or doing something worthwhile instead of sticking their hand out.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Default I get this frequently as well.

I might give some change or a dollar if the person is not aggressive. Some are very aggressive and step right in your path and are downright rude. Not people to take your wallet out in front of. There is one guy in the city that starts off with "A man never looks into another man's eyes and deceives him." he asked me for $50.00! And then got real feisty. I told him to take a flying leap as i had just finished a 12 hour day and just wanted to relax. You never know for sure a lot of times either. in Brooklyn I tried to buy hand a guy a bagel. This guy was in rags and it was tough to watch. i offered it and he flipped out. Ran away screaming to be left alone. Saw him an hour later with a tall boy of malt liquor. Sad.

I don't like seeing people down and out and that's why I cannot help giving maybe some change in a calm situation. but that guy was a tool!!! (The $50 one)

Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I might give some change or a dollar if the person is not aggressive. Some are very aggressive and step right in your path and are downright rude. Not people to take your wallet out in front of. There is one guy in the city that starts off with "A man never looks into another man's eyes and deceives him." he asked me for $50.00! And then got real feisty. I told him to take a flying leap as i had just finished a 12 hour day and just wanted to relax. You never know for sure a lot of times either. in Brooklyn I tried to buy hand a guy a bagel. This guy was in rags and it was tough to watch. i offered it and he flipped out. Ran away screaming to be left alone. Saw him an hour later with a tall boy of malt liquor. Sad.

I don't like seeing people down and out and that's why I cannot help giving maybe some change in a calm situation. but that guy was a tool!!! (The $50 one)
My friend was on the subway and said there was a guy getting right in your face and declaring "give me a dollar". People were offering it up out of fear, she stood her ground and got off the next stop. I guess the whole please give me a dollar isn't working anymore, now they need to threaten weak people into giving money.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Default Yikes!

That guy sooner or later will run into the wrong target and get owned. Hopefully sooner cause someone like that will get more confident and brazen as he gets the cash. What a sleazebag Du Jour!!

Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
No, I don't enable anyone's drug or alcohol habit, nor do I give free money to con artists.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM

387 posts, read 680,627 times
Some times I give some times I don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City