Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty strict do not give policy. Just my experience from living over 30 years in this city that most, not all but most are drug users or run some kind of scheme. I give to charities.

Performers are different. If I really like what the performer is doing I'll reach into my pocket. For instance there is duo that usually plays on the A train platform at Fulton Street (manhattan) during the PM rush hour. One dude on the sax the other on the base. They are bad ass. I always give them some money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM

359 posts, read 329,695 times
bass**

Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
bass**
Yup.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM

195 posts, read 304,901 times
while i'm not in new york, i...to a certain extent understand what it's like dealing with the poor. atlanta has a HUGE problem with panhandling, so much so they were planning legislation to ban it. sometimes i give, sometimes i don't. i've been tricked by some of the pathetic stories before. one that i vividly remember is a guy talking about how his house caught on fire and he needed money to pay for a few more nights in a hotel and he was interviewing for a janitorial position at one of the hospitals (it sounded legitimate), i gave him a $20. a month later i saw him again, and he had the same story. he came around, and people gave him money...he looked at me, apparently remembering me, immediately broke eye contact, hung his head, and walked away. i don't regret giving it, because i gave with the right intentions, but i said from that point on i would help...but not monetarily. so i've given my leftovers or cigarettes...

Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laryenhilllvr View Post
while i'm not in new york, i...to a certain extent understand what it's like dealing with the poor. atlanta has a HUGE problem with panhandling, so much so they were planning legislation to ban it. sometimes i give, sometimes i don't. i've been tricked by some of the pathetic stories before. one that i vividly remember is a guy talking about how his house caught on fire and he needed money to pay for a few more nights in a hotel and he was interviewing for a janitorial position at one of the hospitals (it sounded legitimate), i gave him a $20. a month later i saw him again, and he had the same story. he came around, and people gave him money...he looked at me, apparently remembering me, immediately broke eye contact, hung his head, and walked away. i don't regret giving it, because i gave with the right intentions, but i said from that point on i would help...but not monetarily. so i've given my leftovers or cigarettes...
I hate to feel made a fool of. I think most are scamming. Religion tells us to help those who are less fortunate. The thing to do is to find a charity or house of worship where they have mostly volunteers and if there are paid employees they are not paid at the top of their field, and give there.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM

195 posts, read 304,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I hate to feel made a fool of. I think most are scamming. Religion tells us to help those who are less fortunate. The thing to do is to find a charity or house of worship where they have mostly volunteers and if there are paid employees they are not paid at the top of their field, and give there.
yeah, i should look into doing that as well...the church i went to when i was younger would ask it's members to donate a plate, just one plate (although most would bring many more) from their thanksgiving, christmas, etc dinner. the church itself would cook a dinner and take the plates out to the homeless in some of the poverty stricken areas and others they would donate to homeless shelters that were unable to adequately handle those in need...i was thinking of volunteering around the holidays at shelters, etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:39 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,007 times
Here's the problem..while it's true that you don't always know someone's 'story'...however there are homeless who actually do not want help. Some really are only interested in getting cash for their next drug of choice. This is why I prefer to give to the actual organizations that are there to help. Like City Harvest for instance. That's a great charity.
A long time ago, there used to be a seemingly blind man begging for money. He'd be at the same street corner every day. Then one time I accompanied my co-worker to OTB (when they were still around) and there he was. He was filling out betting slips obviously able to see quite well.
Like I said, you never know.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM

115 posts, read 394,126 times
"Ladies and Gentlemen, soliciting money on the subway is illegal. We ask you NOT to give. Please help us maintain an orderly subway".

I take that little piece of recorded advice, since I don't want people breaking the law.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,378 times
i dont give any money
i will sometimes buy someone food

Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Most of the local beggars I know personally..I know who's on dope...who is not...and who is new in the hood...Times I give - and say...you owe me two bucks...they say they will pay it back...if I see them a week later - I mention the money...they don't like to pay...so I bug them and give no more...finally some of them have extra and I get my money back...nothing wrong with teaching them that lesson...to be responsible and take it as a loan.....the ones that don't get the concept...I yell at them across the street..."Hey Todd you bum...where is my two bucks?"

Those that are right offs..who dash to the crack pipe with any charity granted - get nothing...to hell with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City