Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 PM

207 posts, read 513,999 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else ever seen 'regular people' hop up over by subway pillars, gather up the soot and dust up there and wipe it all over their face?

Then start begging for money?

In Cali, I have heard of middle class people dressing up like homeless people and making a few extra bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Has anyone else ever seen 'regular people' hop up over by subway pillars, gather up the soot and dust up there and wipe it all over their face?

Then start begging for money?

In Cali, I have heard of middle class people dressing up like homeless people and making a few extra bucks.

I feel like that happens a lot more then you think. I remember King of the Hill where Bobby joins these kids who acted homeless to get money to party. To me, it makes more sense to donate to homeless shelters or contribute to places that feed the homeless. At least you know the money goes to places that can handle the cash instead of into a bums hands.

As for the debate on how they get there, I will say sometimes good people working hard end up falling on hard times and end up on the streets. That is a rare case though. A lot of these people are druggies looking for their next fix, or people that don't actually want to work. There are plenty that "enjoy" the freedom of being able to go where ever they want. I only support music groups and people that make me laugh.

Money is tighter, you have to do more then just hold out your hand to get my hard earned cash.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Oh yeah, WHY has this NEVER occurred, especially on a crowded subway?

3am, maybe; 3pm, never heard of.

Tourist fantasies gone wild....

Btw, a "quarter" really???

You are likely to be knifed for being insultingly cheap!
Who said anything about a crowded subway? Last time I was in the city I was walking down the street which didn't have many people on it at all. That person could have easily came up to me and said give me your wallet or I'll cut you. if I was on the metro with hundreds of poeple around it would be a totally different story.

And when i say a quarter I mean change..20 cents, 30 cents 40 cents whatever. it's enough to give it to them so they think you are giving all the change in your pocket. If they are worried about me being cheap then shame on them. Who are they to decide how much I give when I WORKED for my money.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
Guilty...
what?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
lol....you can't give to everyone
with their hand out. if so, the
next thing you know you will
have yours out.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
I remember reading an article on panhandlers in New York City. It seems that something like 98% of them are fakes (that is to say, they're not actually needy, just lazy). And most of them aren't really using your money to get food. Unless you consider alcohol one of the major food groups.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 AM

398 posts, read 698,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I think you missed my point, I said not including the people that are crazy and have no clue what is going on. I don't mind them. I'm talking about the people that are just sitting with a sign. Or guys that are like "can you spare a quarter". People that look relatively fine, but just don't want to have to try.
I do find it hard to believe that the real homeless are that way because they don't want to try. What a way to live, just to avoid filling out job applications. There must be other reasons they are on the streets and living the way they do, and I assume as much when I decide to give. Anyway I tend to give to the ones that are not "entertaining" me in any way, as I usually don't find that they fit the bill (the real homeless people being the ones most unfit to "entertain"). Also because I am not entertained by insane subway train dancing when I'm just trying to read.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:47 AM

20 posts, read 43,854 times
I give to the musicians sometimes, if they are good! I love those mariachi players, I can't help myself. And the guy at grand central who plays the kora, he's so great! But I agree about those dancers - they are so annoying - I have gotten kicked more than once while sitting near them... In terms of begging, I used to sing for a church on the UWS that had soup kitchens at least once a week, and sometimes I would walk down the block from the soup kitchen and see someone begging for food at the deli. One time I gave one of them my soup that I had just bought, and she yelled at me to "keep your f*****g soup! i don't want your soup!" What's the "need food" sign mean, then?? :/ So....I think, if you want to help, donate to charitable organizations. Give to food drives, etc. Also, this has nothing to do with beggars, but tip people well. I am appalled by how much some people tip cab drivers - those guys have to pay something like $9000 a month just to RENT the cab, on top of gas, expenses, credit card fees, etc. And people will take a 15.40 cab ride and round up to 16 and think that's OK! ahem...rant over, sorry

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
I give sometimes to street performers, but not subway performers.
I give food if I have with me to subway beggars, but I don't give money.
There are welfare services that provide for the homless and very poor. And since I already pay enough in taxes, I don't give out my after-taxes cash.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicCoward View Post
I'm gonna be honest, I used to care when I was a child. But now, turning 20, with a job and all. I can't bring myself to give 2 you know whats about them. Why, because now that I have my own source of money, I finally can buy all the **** I want. I already pledged 225 USD of my Budget for the 3 Madoka Magika LE Volumes, approx. ,80 USD for the entirety of SHIKI, 20 for Corpse Party, 90 for Gungir and Growlanser 4, and well you get the point.

Not too mention this (Rise Kujikawa) [hasn't shipped yet MASSIVE delays or something, should run me 90 bucks since the exchange rates gotten better]

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...a_4_figure.jpg

and this (Catherine) [cost me 110.35 USD after yen conversion and shipping)

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig16/10160860.jpg

has eaten about 1/4 or 1/3 of my discretionary funds while the rest will go into a savings account and a newly opened Roth IRA so I can stop wasting money. Not too mention textbooks and food.

So sorry poor Homeless people. (Same thing applies for the African Children BS) . Really sucks to be you.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3151/2...8410bef1f6.jpg
This is probably the best spam post I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City