Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM

455 posts, read 652,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol....you can't give to everyone
with their hand out. if so, the
next thing you know you will
have yours out
Yeah, and no one will give you shiiit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,203,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
No, I don't enable anyone's drug or alcohol habit, nor do I give free money to con artists.
^^ Agreed. I have actually seen documentaries that followed street kids around. They (the kids themselves) said they use the money to go buy booze and ciggies. They also said that they can ALWAYS find food because there are places that give out food, or soup kitchens, pantries, etc. That's how it is out where they were from.

However, I dont give because a lot of these people have some drug/alcohol issue and will just blow thew money. Plus, let them get day jobs or something. I work for my money, let them work for theirs.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM

409 posts, read 498,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is probably the best spam post I have ever seen.
Why thank you very much.

I try my best to give off the impression I'm a selfish prick.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:04 PM

47 posts, read 97,375 times
No. Too busy saving up for the Wii U.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:07 PM

180 posts, read 335,406 times
No... Charity starts in the home.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
No...there's only one of me and too many of them.

If I had millions I'd keep my pockets stuffed with bills and give to all who asked, but that's not anywhere near the case.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Has anyone else ever seen 'regular people' hop up over by subway pillars, gather up the soot and dust up there and wipe it all over their face?

Then start begging for money?

In Cali, I have heard of middle class people dressing up like homeless people and making a few extra bucks.
Not only in Cali. There was a documentary once on tv showing people having lockers in which they keep their begging clothing. They have a day job or go to school and change clothing and start begging in the afternoons, trying to hit people when they get out of work.

Frankly, there are probably more scams out there than not. People give out of guilt for having nice comfortable lives.

My husband's church gets donations and buys cards from the supermarket, thinking they will be less likely to use them for drugs and booze.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
I do find it hard to believe that the real homeless are that way because they don't want to try. What a way to live, just to avoid filling out job applications. There must be other reasons they are on the streets and living the way they do, and I assume as much when I decide to give. Anyway I tend to give to the ones that are not "entertaining" me in any way, as I usually don't find that they fit the bill (the real homeless people being the ones most unfit to "entertain"). Also because I am not entertained by insane subway train dancing when I'm just trying to read.
I think that many of the less fortunate became that way by the decisions that they made in life, of not wanting to do well in school, of not getting a job and working hard, not doing drugs or booze, etc. Most just decided to take the easy way out. The longer that they spend on the lowest rung of life, the more they seem to get stuck there.

When I think of the people I know who have had some financial hard luck, any sane person could see where they caused that 'luck'.

One person, a professional, only worked a few days a week. Her finances are not my business, but when I mentioned/reminded her that she should be saving for retirement, I get 'the universe(God) will take care of me. In her spare time she arranges for interfaith seminars and the like. Her dog became ill and she hit up all her friends for donations. I am not
'the universe', thank you.

Another person I really nagged into going to school when she worked at a clerical job. This was when colleges in the city were really cheap for residents. After ten or fifteen years of my nagging, she went to some not too great community college, joked about not doing homework, dropped out. Her place of business moved, leaving her with no job and not able to get one. She is on the dole and also working sweeping the floors at a fast food place.

No, I really think the majority of people who do badly would not see 'luck' if it hit them on the head. They refuse to take part in the crap parts of life, which is working in not so great jobs and putting up with not so great co workers and bosses and the day to day slog. They were somehow above that. I think they use people and prey on the sympathy and kindness of others.

Sad, but nothing will change for them unless they change their heads. Sometimes that means hitting bottom and pulling out of it themselves.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Default Does looks matter?

The more approachable one looks and how they carry themselves The more they get hit up for cash. I dont mind giving some spare change if the person is not aggressive, But I get hit up almost every day honestly. A person who looks rough themselves may not get approached. This is the reason i do not use headphones and make sure I am aware of my surroundings at all times as some of these folks look dangerous. I do not, Despite not being a small guy.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM

217 posts, read 417,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I never have fear of wipping out my wallet in most circumstances, but then I don't carry cash in my wallet, and beggars don't take credit cards!!

Offering to buy a meal is something I do often. It is the BEST way to determine those in real human need, as opposed to a drug/alcohol need. On occaision I have been (tellingly) turned down, but rarely.

In my youthful subway riding days, I always thought to carry a few sandwiches along, but never did. I have more than once turned over the lunch or doggie bag I might have been carrying.

Often, when going out, I have noted some homeless person in a doorway or something, I would generally take the doggy bag or ask the waiter to bag up a meal. Leaving the restaurant/bar I would seek out the homeless I saw.

ALSO, working late, my office, as a matter of course, would order food catered. Most of it was never eaten, and was often offered to the office underlings as leftovers (I always thought it a bit insulting to the staff), who would pick thru the leftovers. Yet, most often there w/b platters of food left. Many times, I've gathered the food and taken it down to some homeless on the street. This was back in the day, when homelessness was an even greater issue than today.

The McDonald's gift card is an EXCELLENT idea. I think a supermarket gift card w/b equally as good, perhaps more healthly.

Thanks for the idea!!

Just hope some won't try to sell them to people at a discount for the cash. Hmmmm....

Food in hand is ultimately best, I guess.
They could possibly buy alcohol with the supermarket gift card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City