Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times

Advertisements

Bushwick is tough, too, but changing rapidly! A few years, and it's a wrap! One good thing about Bushwick is the commute to Manhattan is shorter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 01:20 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
agreed scatman...it does have a shorter commute...and it is also transforming quickly. I have been hearing about Bushwick for awhile...so I knew it was well on its way.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:33 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Bushwick may change due to a lack of affordable housing being built in that neighborhood. The PR's and other Latino minorities could get priced out. It could flip economically. It could...

However I don't see it.

First of all it won't be "White". I would like to know where these White people would come from when the city is still loosing it's White population? Please explain that to me. White relocaters in this city have better neighborhoods to choose from and that list is going to grow as more middle class White leave their decent neighborhoods. So as the White population shrinks, those Whites who refuse to leave will have more options.

Second of all since NYC attracts immigrants more then anything else it may just flip to Mexican. So it can just be the same only much more Mexican.

As it is now the neighborhood is a dump. The yuppies live in loft type apartents in the industrial areas. Lots of drug activity and poverty.

Bed-stuy and Bushwick can go either way, it depends on the cities demographic changes over the next few years. Personally i'll pass.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Hustla, there are other ways for a neighborhood to improve without going "White." Prices increase, rents go up, and quality of life improves in communities of color in this city as well. There are plenty of people of color who earn a substantial income in a variety of civil service jobs including police officers, post office, etc, as well as unionized members of Verizon, MTA, etc..with many choosing to live in these communities, buying homes, and improving the quality of life for everyone. Bushwick is improving, but there will be room for everyone, including "Whites".

Of course, it is no surprise that you label Bushwick as a dump, as most neighborhoods in the city seem to be to you. However, it is clearly a neighborhood, like many others, that is improving, with new housing and amenities beginning to trickle in. I, on the other hand, along with the many that are choosing to invest in places like Bushwick, Mott Haven, and Bed-Stuy, are not passing, but moving in and making things better, and reaping those rewards hand over fist.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,784 times
Forget them they are all.. do what you have to and move.. I did.. I live near whiteplains and pelham parkway and I am super happy there and I lived in Sobro for 15 years... Mictchel Projects

Old 09-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Hustla, there are other ways for a neighborhood to improve without going "White." Prices increase, rents go up, and quality of life improves in communities of color in this city as well. There are plenty of people of color who earn a substantial income in a variety of civil service jobs including police officers, post office, etc, as well as unionized members of Verizon, MTA, etc..with many choosing to live in these communities, buying homes, and improving the quality of life for everyone. Bushwick is improving, but there will be room for everyone, including "Whites".

Of course, it is no surprise that you label Bushwick as a dump, as most neighborhoods in the city seem to be to you. However, it is clearly a neighborhood, like many others, that is improving, with new housing and amenities beginning to trickle in. I, on the other hand, along with the many that are choosing to invest in places like Bushwick, Mott Haven, and Bed-Stuy, are not passing, but moving in and making things better, and reaping those rewards hand over fist.
Most civil service people I know live outside NYC or are trying to get the hell out the city. These are the middle class people that are fleeing BTW. The houses in Bushwick are now out of reach for most civil service workers (ain't that something). Instead investors buy the property and rent it out to locals.

As for the comment about "Whites" moving into the area, why don't you get on scatman who was so happy to see a White couple walking through the neighborhood in a previous post...

I just stated with the cities shrinking White population, where would these White Bushwick residents come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoracash View Post
Forget them they are all.. do what you have to and move.. I did.. I live near whiteplains and pelham parkway and I am super happy there and I lived in Sobro for 15 years... Mictchel Projects
Amen to that.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
As for the comment about "Whites" moving into the area, why don't you get on scatman who was so happy to see a White couple walking through the neighborhood in a previous post...
I would love to find out, in any post, where my "happiness" was stated.......

Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I would love to find out, in any post, where my "happiness" was stated.......
Artist Hoods

Quote:
I'm already seeing white folk on Broadway and Flushing, along with Flushing Ave's rehab! 5-10 years and Bushwick is a wrap!

.....Oops, I'm sorry....East Williamsburg! Hahaha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Why are you happy about that
Then you tried to play it off...

Quote:
I don't take the position one way or another. I just recognize the changes.
Haha. Not the first time either.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:35 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
Hustla, the whites will come, just as they have flooded to all the other areas of Bklyn. Young people just out of school, people who want to experience NYC--you know, half the posters on this forum. There's a reason this is now a top top tourist destination again and why Manhattan has turned into Disneyland for the benefit of the moneyed and tourists.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Artist Hoods

Then you tried to play it off...

Haha. Not the first time either.
I didn't know that taking no position one way or the other and recognizing the changes constituted happiness with whites moving in!

And even if I am happy, so what? Get real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City