Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,451,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The bolded is where you lost me. Like I said, the vast majority of us did not. Not in terms of disrespecting so many innocent lives.
This is actually the first time I'm agreeing with you on something. Lol @ the bolded he really tried to throw that in there.

I'm done with SobroGuy. I don't think he understands where every one else is coming from, meanwhile we ALL understand his blinded perspective. Yeah we get it we had days when we were kids and acted out with friends and was, in short, immature. But I don't know many peope who would essentially go to, say a cemetery (I don't want to say the memorial area is one, but technically. . . ) and just litter then responds with "we were bored". Even at 14 MOST people know better. I'm sure with technology and TV of today they are capable to know better. Stop making excuses.

SobroGuy, I would even say IF these kids were actually KIDS (Teens are not kids they are young adults) like 8-10 I could see your point. But unfortunately this isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM

120 posts, read 482,166 times
I think the issue is that these are young teenagers...it has been nearly 11 years since 9-11, so they were only toddlers when it happened, and it is essentially history to them...not something that made up the framework of their lives. Yes, they have probably seen pictures of it over and over again, and they have lived through the aftereffects (heightened security, etc.), but it is essentially like the Kennedy assassination to someone born in 1961. It happened, but it had no meaning in their lives.

We are getting to the point where we have nearly a whole generation that either wasn't born, doesn't remember, or maybe vaguely remembers 9-11. In a few years, the leading edge of it will become adults. Unless we reinforce this and how much of an impact this had on society, the meaning of this day will become what Pearl Harbor became in the minds of younger generations. And I do think they are doing a good job...9-11-11, the 10th anniversary, was a day of solemn remembrance. You didn't see much going on December 7, 1951 (granted, circumstances were different in many regards with the Cold War in full effect).

Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
I think the issue is that these are young teenagers...it has been nearly 11 years since 9-11, so they were only toddlers when it happened, and it is essentially history to them...not something that made up the framework of their lives. Yes, they have probably seen pictures of it over and over again, and they have lived through the aftereffects (heightened security, etc.), but it is essentially like the Kennedy assassination to someone born in 1961. It happened, but it had no meaning in their lives.

We are getting to the point where we have nearly a whole generation that either wasn't born, doesn't remember, or maybe vaguely remembers 9-11. In a few years, the leading edge of it will become adults. Unless we reinforce this and how much of an impact this had on society, the meaning of this day will become what Pearl Harbor became in the minds of younger generations. And I do think they are doing a good job...9-11-11, the 10th anniversary, was a day of solemn remembrance. You didn't see much going on December 7, 1951 (granted, circumstances were different in many regards with the Cold War in full effect).
Exactly. The ideas and thoughts of 9/11 are lost on people that don't understand the impact. If you didn't live through the day, you didn't understand that even if you didn't actually live here, that you were affected. It's one of those far reaching things that everyone felt on that day. To try and communicate the pure dread that was felt on that day is impossible. Now this memorial is almost like a historical site like Gettysburg.

Regardless, these kids are idiots. Kids get in trouble for doing stupid things, but their parents should have taught them better. Anywhere but the 9/11 site. It just means way too much to so many people for you to "get bored" and throw garbage in the memorial. Common sense, things the next generation lacks because their parents could careless.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
One needn't have been alive in 9/11 to know it's significance. They can read it from a book or magazine that even an elementary student can read. What are JHS students reading nowadays?

And you don't need to know about 9/11 to realize that littering is wrong. Even Barney has a "clean up" song directed towards toddlers; kids 10 years younger know better. What are they learning at home and what values are their parents instilling in them?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,239,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
OK, to be a little more clear as you asked, I keep saying public school because this thread is about public school kids.

Private schools have issues, and there is some overlap of them between private and public school, but in reality the challenges faced by public schools are largely not the same as those faced by private, especially in this city.

Ahh, ok. Got it

My focus was just on the kids and parenting in general that's why I was lost when you kept mentioning public school, considering we both send our kids to public school. Wasn't trying to be combative or anything.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Oh, we can't really talk about 911 now, at least in public schools. it might offend certain ethnic/religious groups.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,542,987 times
life moves on

there are 17 yr olds w/no idea what happened

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
A kid that respects doesn't answer back an adult with a foul mouth or come off threatening. A kid that has respect doesn't get in someone's face on the train because they got bumped into by accident when the train was rocking back and forth. A kid that has respect doesn't throw a bag with his leftover food and drink under the seat and wipe his filthy hand on the seat next to him. Kids horsing around, teasing one another, playing jokes on each other...that's "kids being kids".
Exactly. I highly doubt the 9-11 memorial is the only place these kids are throwing trash or acting uncivilized.

The reason it made the news was because it's the 9-11 memorial. The fact that these kids are probably behaving with disrespect every day in public isn't seen as newsworthy.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:53 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Hood kids, raised by hood parents.

That's all there's to this.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
A group of Brooklyn students on a school trip to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum were booted from the hallowed site after they callously hurled trash into its fountains.
yep, nobdy ever said there was anything good about Brooklyn schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City