Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
This guy seems to be doing alright, though.

I remember another pic with a skinny white guy on a bicycle, but I forgot what the address was. I think it might'e been on Pitkin Avenue some where (it was a commercial street). I found this guy, but that's not the one I'm thinking of.
Is that first guy a doctor or is that just a long white shirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
speaking about white people in brownsville. im sure everyone who follows up on the news heard about that russian guy who was randomly shot and killed in brownsville projects in 2008?

he worked for meals on wheels. The guy went to deliver food and was just shot in the head by some punk thug.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
This guy seems to be doing alright, though.

I remember another pic with a skinny white guy on a bicycle, but I forgot what the address was. I think it might'e been on Pitkin Avenue some where (it was a commercial street). I found this guy, but that's not the one I'm thinking of.
Maybe the white dude in the first image had moved into that new Fedders' buildings. Or maybe just visiting the black kids hanging out on the stoop?

A (white) friend visited East New York and said he got stares for being the only white guy. Not really hostile, just puzzled why he was there .

The husband of a co-worker (he's white) of my mother's grew up in Brownsville.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I managed to get through 6 minutes of this video before getting too bored to watch any more of it.

They must have said half a dozen times (in amazed voices) how close two projects are to each other, and indicated that the proximity must be what causes all the problems, because "people are on top of each other" or something.

Have they bothered to look in Manhattan lately? There are huge residential buildings everywhere and people are not killing each other just because there's another building next door.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:02 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,489 times
Quote:
I actually remember that dude on his bicycle that you are talking about, the picture was taken on Belmont Ave between Thatford and Osborn St.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Being born and raised in the projects you really don't know what else is out there beyond the hood mentality to us this is life. Thankfully I was lucky enough to be shown a whole different way of life as a late teenager.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,400 times
Please.

Brownsville/East New York is MUCH improved compared to the 70-80's pre-Nehemiah Housing Project that bought working class home ownership to area and a level of stabilization. New housing around the Saratoga Ave/Prospect area got the place starting to look livable again. Are there still real issues that need to be resolved (centered around high levels of poverty) in 2012? Absolutely. But stick Bronsville/ENY in the middle of Philly and it would be considered a higher than normal crime area but nowhere close to the warzone areas like Strawberry Mansion, Badlands, Fairhill, Point Breeze, etc...

Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
what do you call "extra precaution" ?
two condoms

seriously though, why are some people surprised that this neighborhood seems unsafe, deserted, etc., or that there are lots of unemployed dudes hanging out mad dogging each other? that's what a bad neighborhood is like

as has been noted there are areas near newark (irvington) and philly (camden) with similar or worse problems. likewise oakland, LA, detroit, etc. there are problems everywhere. is it really worth it to figure out the "worst"?

and most of the time outsiders are fine just quickly walking through these neighborhoods, even if it's uncomfortable feeling. there are the occasional carjackings or unlucky meals on wheels guys but most of the violence is by the residents on the residents. domestic violence, drug fueled robbery, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A (white) friend visited East New York and said he got stares for being the only white guy
this isn't really that unusual. i've been called out, mad dogged, etc even in relatively safe parts of NYC (compared to brownsville) for being the odd whiteboy. it's not enough to qualify a place for being a slum. it's not fun but it's not terrible

Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
I actually remember that dude on his bicycle that you are talking about, the picture was taken on Belmont Ave between Thatford and Osborn St.
Cool.

For those who are too lazy to look it up, Here he is.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
nobody said white people would
die if they went to brownsville.
lol just don't go out there faking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City