Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM

167 posts, read 306,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Please.

Brownsville/East New York is MUCH improved compared to the 70-80's pre-Nehemiah Housing Project that bought working class home ownership to area and a level of stabilization. New housing around the Saratoga Ave/Prospect area got the place starting to look livable again. Are there still real issues that need to be resolved (centered around high levels of poverty) in 2012? Absolutely. But stick Bronsville/ENY in the middle of Philly and it would be considered a higher than normal crime area but nowhere close to the warzone areas like Strawberry Mansion, Badlands, Fairhill, Point Breeze, etc...
the most improved award isn't exactly *** laude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
dont over exaggerate on east orange.
Thank u somebody with some sense.here all I hear is people talking about east orange my friend was from there he said its not as bad as people make it out to be this goes for a lot of hoods

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Please.

Brownsville/East New York is MUCH improved compared to the 70-80's pre-Nehemiah Housing Project that bought working class home ownership to area and a level of stabilization. New housing around the Saratoga Ave/Prospect area got the place starting to look livable again. Are there still real issues that need to be resolved (centered around high levels of poverty) in 2012? Absolutely. But stick Bronsville/ENY in the middle of Philly and it would be considered a higher than normal crime area but nowhere close to the warzone areas like Strawberry Mansion, Badlands, Fairhill, Point Breeze, etc...
No disagreements there... It's why i said other than parts of Chicago and most of Philly, no other area can compare to NYC hoods in terms of crime in dense areas... With most other hoods across the country, what'll happen is that you'll have a pop. of 20,000 spread across 10 sq. miles or more... But if there was 5 or 6 murders in that area within those 10 sq. miles, the statistics won't take note of that... Yet, it'll have the same murder rate as Brownsville at 30 per 100,000 even though the 30 murders taking place in Brownsville on a yearly basis happen within 1 sq. mile as opposed to 5 or 6 within 10 sq. miles...

That doesn't happen with places like Philly, or Chicago where the high crime areas over there can compare density wise to NYC... They are the only legitimate comparisons that can be made to an area like Brownsville... And there is no question that parts of Philly and Chicago as well are worse than Brownsville, but that doesn't make that hood any less unlivable for the people still there... To just disregard it by saying well it isn't the worst in the country, doesn't do the people that live there any good whatsoever... The fact that there are so many people living in that area that know that the cut-off point for being outside is somewhere around 7-8pm and kids are taught in public school how to stop drop and roll in order to dodge bullets should tell you everything you need to know about that area... We need to stop reliving the past and comparing it to now because there were a myriad of things back then that lead to higher numbers that we are blessed with either having or not having to deal with anymore... (prejudicial violence, corrupt cops, corrupt politicians (far more than today), way less medical resources and technology, and a number of other things that we can look at as to why the numbers aren't what they were back then)... this doesn't change the fact that this neighborhood has not improved at all, the way 95% of other neighborhoods in this city have...

Brownsville children getting schooled in dodging bullets in their violent neighborhood * - NY Daily News

And for the record, you're right in saying Brownsville of 2012 isn't as bad as Brownsville of the 70s or 80s... But Brownsville 2012 is deteriorating and has gotten worse over the last few years... A better comparison would be is Brownsville better or worse than five years ago? ten years ago? The answer to the first, its worse, the answer to the second, it's on its way... That's what you have to worry about and it's what the people who live here have to deal with on a daily basis that most of us simply take for granted...

Old 08-08-2012, 05:09 PM

287 posts, read 593,752 times
And guess what...those folks you saw standing outside doing nothing get to collect a free check twice a month, get cheap housing, anf food stamps. Courtesy of people who actually work...

Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Let me start of by saying that I'm a native New Yorker. Born and raised in Manhattan's lower east side. I have been to pretty much every neighborhood both good and bad within the 5 boroughs but last week for the first time while taking a detour due to heavy traffic I passed through what I was told at the time was Brownsville Brooklyn. I recall being at the intersection of Rockaway and Sutter and looking around while saying to myself...."where the hell am I?" It was as if every single person in the neighborhood was outside doing nothing but watching everyone who passed by. Every single store front had at least 6-7 guys just standing in front. While driving down Sutter I come to a stop at a red light and see some guy being carried out on a stretcher from a chicken place on the corner with blood running down his face as if he was cut or stabbed. Continued down Sutter and saw more of the same block after block. It was as if everyone was up to no good! Sorry if I offend anyone who's from there but this neighborhood was pretty horrific looking! Even the cops looked scared while patrolling on foot 5 deep all walking very close together. It was as if the people (mainly black males) were like wolves just waiting around to attack thier prey! Now I've been to some rough looking neighborhoods but this one definitely takes the cake! Sad part is, there's people from there that are actually proud of having that title!
The sad part is the amount of good people and children living there because they do not have the means to get out.........and the little children that will never have a chance in live, but will grow up to be hoodlums/thugs because that is what they are being exposed to, in a daily basis. That area is a drug-infested/gang- infested area that is beyond help, and one need an Uzi or 357 Magnum just to pass through it. You are very lucky, you did not become the victim of a drive-by shooting......

Old 08-08-2012, 06:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
The entire city of Newark is not that much bigger than Brownsville in terms of population, is mostly hood, and covers a MUCH larger territory... The 30 murders on average a year that you see in Brownsville happen within 1 square mile... The area of Newark covers roughly 26 square miles... The crime is much more spread out... To compare the two is hilarious... It's why all the numbers across the country are skewed in comparison with NYC... Other than maybe Chicago and parts of Philly, the density of this city allows for a boatload of crime to happen within a small area with a high population to skew the numbers...

It's why Provo, Utah is on the same level as NYC in terms of crime meanwhile there are areas in this city that few if any dare to enter...
He said murder rate. That means how likely it is that somebody who lives there will be killed. It has nothing to do with the raw numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
my cousin lived in the northern sections of newark and ill tell you right now that part of newark was no where near as bad as brownsville.

Also most of the crime in newark is on the western and southern parts. newark is a city and brownsville is a neighborhood. As a matter of fact brownsville is not a huge neighborhood and could be a neighborhood in newark.
...and that means that if the overall city had a higher murder rate than Brownsville, then those neighborhoods in the South/West Ward are even worse.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Is that first guy a doctor or is that just a long white shirt?
It looks like a long, white shirt.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I managed to get through 6 minutes of this video before getting too bored to watch any more of it.

They must have said half a dozen times (in amazed voices) how close two projects are to each other, and indicated that the proximity must be what causes all the problems, because "people are on top of each other" or something.

Have they bothered to look in Manhattan lately? There are huge residential buildings everywhere and people are not killing each other just because there's another building next door.

They were trying to make a point about putting too many projects together in the same area
is one of the main reasons for the violents and crimes in the area. The huge residential buildings
in Manhattan are not projects full of poverty-stricken broken families with no education and no
future though, can't really compare them with each other.

I managed to watch the whole video, but I ended up facepalming myself half way through it as
I got bombarded with the projects right next to each other, and people are on top of each other"
line. (Around 20+ times!) It's going to be like a song that you can't get it out of your head after
listening to it too many times.

Also, I'm very surprised there are no iron window bars on the first floor of those buildings where
you mentioned about the white guy in long white shirt.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:35 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Please.

philly is a second home to me so if you dont mind me asking....how often are you in philly?

well i am looking at a homicide map of strawberry mansion right now and it shows that so far this year their has only been 4 homicides. i wouldnt say thats comparative to Brownsville at all.

fairhill which is also a bigger area only has 6 homicides which also isn't comparative to Brownsville.

point breeze as well is at 5 murders which is also again not comparative to Brownsville.

http://www.burgersub.org/murders2012...om=15&county=1

Last edited by nycjowww; 08-08-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
Thank u somebody with some sense.here all I hear is people talking about east orange my friend was from there he said its not as bad as people make it out to be this goes for a lot of hoods
east orange is pretty much similar to flatbush or east flatbush in terms of crimes. All the real crazy areas are in irvington, and southern and western sides of newark.

jersey city, patterson, east orange arent as crazy as people tend to make them out to me.

Then again i strongly support the theorie that every hood is the same.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
He said murder rate. That means how likely it is that somebody who lives there will be killed. It has nothing to do with the raw numbers.

...and that means that if the overall city had a higher murder rate than Brownsville, then those neighborhoods in the South/West Ward are even worse.....

It looks like a long, white shirt.
not really because thats one ghetto area compared to a whole bunch. Also have you ever looked at a homicide map of newark and brownsville?? doesnt look much different when you see the areas with your own eyes then reading up on numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City