Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:47 PM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times

Advertisements

better tell the 40,000 permit holders in nyc that only police and gang bangers have guns. maybe they were out the day of that news flash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonQ1995 View Post
In my opinion, the only people who have guns in NYC are the dealers and the gang bangers. Plus the NYPD, who like to be pigs half the time. I believe in the right to own firearms. But in this case, i don't think people should have guns. NYC is just too crowed, too many people in one place. Look at all the people today getting shot by stray bullets. Now imagine it if EVERYONE had a gun.
we really dont need another pro or con gun control debate here. you can read the 50,000 threads already.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM

681 posts, read 1,673,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonQ1995 View Post
In my opinion, the only people who have guns in NYC are the dealers and the gang bangers. Plus the NYPD, who like to be pigs half the time. I believe in the right to own firearms. But in this case, i don't think people should have guns. NYC is just too crowed, too many people in one place. Look at all the people today getting shot by stray bullets. Now imagine it if EVERYONE had a gun.

You state that you believe in the right to own firearms, but yet in this case, you don't think people should own guns at all, 2 contradicting statements. Well what do you really, truly believe then?

Owning a firearm is a big responsibility. Law abiding gun owners and cops are generally taught that stray bullets cannot be taken back and that you'd personally be responsible for it if it hits something or someone that you weren't aiming for. Last time I checked gang-banger's don't obey gun laws, don't submit to finger printing, and don't file for gun licenses with the NYPD. They could care less where the bullets fly once they unleash their barrage of bullets against their target.

An interesting quote I came across:

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942

Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,989,030 times
To all the people complaining about the gun laws in NYC, you now have a solution: bow and arrows ! ! ! !

Do you any of you have experience hunting with it the bow? If so, how did you learn, and who did you learn from? Anyone know a good hunter safety course nearby?

Are there restrictions on crossbow?

Old 08-19-2012, 09:12 PM

15 posts, read 28,022 times
Default You ask wich state is easy to own/carry a Firearm ?...........

Arizona..................You can own a firearm, Carry Openly in Public, carry Concealed on your person, without ANY Permit, as long as person has never had a felony conviction/no Mental deflict............They did away with there Carry Concealed weapons Permit a couple of years ago. Only restrictions today, cannot enter any govt. bldg. carrying, business wich have no deadly weapons allowed sinage in window. It use to be one could go into any shooting range, rent almosy any type of gun, including fully automatic ( Machine gun supervised ) w ammo, pay for your items, range fees, have a " blast ".........no records check, show proper I.D, pay, your set, that probally has'nt changed............" An armed society is a Polite society "............Would never work in Nyc though, too many hot tempered people here.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM

681 posts, read 1,673,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycmike View Post
Arizona..................You can own a firearm, Carry Openly in Public, carry Concealed on your person, without ANY Permit, as long as person has never had a felony conviction/no Mental deflict............They did away with there Carry Concealed weapons Permit a couple of years ago. Only restrictions today, cannot enter any govt. bldg. carrying, business wich have no deadly weapons allowed sinage in window. It use to be one could go into any shooting range, rent almosy any type of gun, including fully automatic ( Machine gun supervised ) w ammo, pay for your items, range fees, have a " blast ".........no records check, show proper I.D, pay, your set, that probally has'nt changed............" An armed society is a Polite society "............Would never work in Nyc though, too many hot tempered people here.
Not only Arizona, but add to that Vermont, Alaska, and Wyoming!

I agree with you here, with "too many hot tempered" people here in NYC, I'm not sure how the outcome would be if things were to change overnight. It seems that if someone has a beef with someone they'd rather pull a gun and start blasting away rather than settling it the old fashioned way, with flying fists. That way one person only walks away with a bruised ego and maybe some cuts and bruises, which in the old days settled that matter in dispute.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 38,854 times
Just read through all 5 pages of this topic.... Cant buy guns without going through (expensive) obstacles only unique to this city, cant buy ammo because stores' policies, Cabelas in PA would ********* over to kiss NYPDs ass, only .22 in city.... My conclusion and Im sure many of you will agree is that New York City is the worst thing to happen to America.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:32 AM

not at all. i like nyc. in fact we had bought a 2nd home to retire to in pa. after 5 years of part time life we realized there is nothing like living in nyc and so we sold the house last month.

believe me, there is a whole lot more to life then deciding where to live, then if you can walk around with a gun or drink a big gulp.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,151 times
With a state permit, you either get a target or carry permit. [My husband has a carry, so does a daughter and 2 other family members have target] Biggest pain in the world? If we want to go thru NYC, my husband is supposed to lock ammo in one box and his pistol in another and put them "in the trunk". {Having a van, we have no "trunk"; we have to put them in where the seats fold in.}

What annoys us is that people from NYC seen to think their permit allows them a pistol in NYS outside of NYC. It doesn't...not unless there is a new degree in the past 6 mos.

At the other end of the state, we have ranges, public and private.

The pistol permit course? Still LEGALLY taught only with an airgun in NYS [my husband is an NRA instructor]; then once you get a permit, you have 30 days to get a gun on it.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 AM

actually if they are hunting then the nyc permit does allow them into upstate ny to pistol hunt in authorized hunting areas. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City