Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 20,802 times

Advertisements

The system needs to be reformed to where the programs help those who need them most. Regardless of how people feel about entitlement programs, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. More money should be put into fraud control, it will save the government big money in the long run as the problem is only likely to grow. While I know many people who deliberately cheat the system, I also know others, truly good people, who benefit from these programs and aim to grow from them.

There is a potential to provide a greater good to those who need it most....admittedly, at times it is so frustrating to wittiness people deliberately blowing through fraudulent food stamps; in reference to the post before me, perhaps money should be taken out of the Defense budget to stamp out fraud/revamp these programs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Human Resources just started to enforce those who are receiving food stamps that are not disabled, going to school, or caring for elderly or children must receive training, counseling, or training to continue to receive their food stamps. There are other exclusions I can't remember off the top of my head right now. They are also cracking down on those selling their food stamps.

If they don't go to a specified center in order to sign up or prepare to look for job opportunities, this includes preparing a resume if they don't have one, then they are immediately cut off.

Now did I give you something to smile about today?
Actually I'm more 'tired' of companies today, whether McDonalds or labor forces, or Walmart or a host of other salaried jobs, warehouse ect ect...who make it extremly hard for those looking for work, to merge their way back into employment...

Modern day applications are a hassle, Your applying for a dishwashing job, and it's as if your applying to be a medical advisor at Stewart Hospital...

I think applications and background checks and this check, that check, this reference that reference, have gotten out of hand...and is why many who want to work, can't...cause no one will hire them...

Myself...I earn decent money now as a 'contractor'...with own equiptment...

But when I was applying for regular hourly wage type jobs...it was depressing...

It's not that I didn't want to work...it's that many places are very parculuar about who they hire....

Sure in the add they say 'Oh, we're so fair, and hire all, regardless of gender, color, orientation blah blah blah...'

But it still comes down to 'preference'...if the hireing manager doesn't like your looks, ethnicity, age, color, gender, orientation, mannerism whatever...they will not hire you...

So I wouldn't put all the blame on those not working...cause believe me you..many have tried to get hired, mailed out dozens of resumes, filled out dozens of applications...

And are always told 'Oh, if there's an opening in a few weeks, we'll give you a call'...

What a pile of crap...

How many people are told that?

They respond to add, call, and over the phone receptionist acts like job starts tomorrow...
Then after they show up...suddenly get the cold shoulder, and told 'If there's an opening...we'll call you'....

Which basically means 'Get lost pal, we're not interested'.....

So I'm not going to sit here and put all the blame on those who are unemployed...cause I was there too, and know how it feels to spend time, money, gas, traveling all over the city, county, just to keep getting rejected cause you don't fit some 'template' of an ideal employee for that company...

Which totally varies from company to company...

If more companies would just start hireing on a first come first hired type basis...unemployment would drop by at least 3% almost over night...

Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
First thing to do is get rid of the resume system- or computers that read applications and cancel out prospective employees because the machine says so....They must go back to a system where a person with good personal skills...a good judge of character...who would sit in an office- Someone would knock on the front door- the receptionist would give them a seat...and the person looking for a job could actually speak to the person hiring...after a conversation-the employer would either hire on the spot or not.............These computer searches...people sending out thousands of resumes...are in dream land- the old way works better.

It used to be a person could physically go out- walk in and see someone....people should hire people...machines should be unplugged.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
First thing to do is get rid of the resume system- or computers that read applications and cancel out prospective employees because the machine says so....They must go back to a system where a person with good personal skills...a good judge of character...who would sit in an office- Someone would knock on the front door- the receptionist would give them a seat...and the person looking for a job could actually speak to the person hiring...after a conversation-the employer would either hire on the spot or not.............These computer searches...people sending out thousands of resumes...are in dream land- the old way works better.

It used to be a person could physically go out- walk in and see someone....people should hire people...machines should be unplugged.
I agree with this...

Those who sit around and say 'Oh get a job'....don't realize how hard it is to get hired now...even as a fast food employee, do to computers sorting out applications and stats ect ect...

These people do want jobs...but no one will hire them...

I agree totally with your post...

If people would hire first come, first hired, then unemployment would drop by 4% almost over night...

Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Umm...no I think that is a lousy idea and unrealistic. I won't accept a tenant by simply meeting them and deciding on the spot. How do I know they can afford anything? How do I know their credit? Because they are well spoken and well dressed?

Hiring in this manner is a great way to get lousy employees (and tenants). Hiring should not simply be first come-first served...that's is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of and the only people who benefit are those who are not good employees: don't have to go through drug testing, no background checks, etc. I prefer to take my time and hire the right candidate rather than simply who gets into my office first...I mean really? The surest way to get a lousy tenant is to take the first one who shows up with cash... BAD IDEA. Same applies with hiring.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,900 times
Oh c'mon SobroGuy

I walk into your office, I shake your hand, look you in the eye, smile and tell you how hard of a worker and how great and quiet of a tenant I will be. How my bills are always paid on time and how I am an all around swell guy. Are you telling me that wont run goosbumps down your spine wanting to hire and house me??????

I am doing what any good con man..............I mean good person is able to do. Put my most honest best foot foward in a face to face meeting haha

Nevermind that I am going to sleep with your wife, convince your kids I am their real dad, bankrupt your company by stealing funds and vanish without a clue with your ID, bank routing number, social security number and your wifes best good La perla panties to the next town where I will do the same thing again to the next victim....sucker......umm yeah....

But , deep in your heart you will be happy and feel good about yourself because you know that first meeting was met with a smile and you made the right choice..haha

Old 09-25-2012, 09:54 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyngrad View Post
The system needs to be reformed...
Open up a history book! "Reform" has been a dirty word in politics for well over a century. It gets a lot more lip service than action. Just so you're aware.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The lifestyle public assistance types, the ghetto folk, are not punished. On the contrary, they are rewarded every day. This is the same group who will always, always be angry with the teachers. And so on. Lots of other fun behaviors go with that particular lifestyle. It is astonishing to hear such people identify said lifestyle as "black," and astonishing again to observe the greater populace, generally speaking, agree with this.

It is not a matter of having faith in people. Many of the adolescents who prove very destructive in whatever environment have personality disorders and they are therefore unlikely to change even were they to be shown three dozen carrots. They will just prove more and more destructive, and we must regulate them after removing any unfortunate children who have had the poor luck to be born in their care. Any girl around age 15/16 will have a child already - guaranteed. The most effective solutions, I think, will be focused on the future. The "currents," so to speak, are already gone.

At this point in time, it is not even a matter of refusing to carry those people who refuse to do anything for themselves. Thy need to be regulated in order to mitigate their really destructive impact on everyone else.

I also know many (black) people from very disadvantaged circumstances who accomplished great things nonetheless. Which would seem to cast doubt on the necessary connection between "ghetto" and "black."
You are saying the same thing that I am. I have faith that not every one from a bad situation is automatically going to do nothing to improve their situation if the right incentives are there.

But we have instead a welfare system that rewards the lazy and punishes those who try. I am astounded that if a person on welfare has a bank account from working a part time job...while they attempt to get a full time job and so become self supporting, this is a "bad" thing.

As to what "black" means now to SOME people, I suspect that all of those folks who marched to get equal access to education will be shocked that some now see it as a "white" thing.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
From your post it appears that the only people in YOUR mind on welfare are BLACK.

Okay then. Carry on....

he isnt saying so. He is just concerned, as am I that too many of us equate this withg being black...thereby giving the racist like hilltop an excuse to exclude ALL blacks, even though the majority do try.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I would also add that, while I agree, as I have said before, at this juncture of things, the most important thing is making a discrimination between those who are poor because in currently undervalued jobs or collapsed industries, disability and similar, working people, and the lifestyle welfare folks. I have the sense that we both know the difference and that we probably have an interest there for identical reasons.

It's important because there will be regulation - big regulation. In Harlem, where there is significant development investment, this is already happening. Lumping "the poor" into one group will result in great injustices, and this has already begun as well. Intelligent and savvy people need to intervene, to speak up, but such people are in short supply what with the single-minded, raging neo-liberals and all, "lovin' the black man" as my significant other puts it with quite a bit of anger and I agree. Many would blame the neoconservatives there but this is a merely partial picture. Some of the things I have heard from the neo-liberal group would be humorous were they not so stupid and destructive at the same time. They are not even a well-intentioned bunch. It is all completely self-serving. One can scarcely think given the din of self back-patting that goes on. One woman actually said to me rather condescendingly one day, "I LOVE black people ..." Wow.

These sorts of objectifications have a L-O-N-G and productive history.

In my eyes the liberals (black and white...Cornell West being an example) who "love" blacks who feel that all that they deserve is a life of dysfunction are as bad as the racists who condemn all blacks because of their obsession with this group.

Its about time that the poor who are trying are rewarded and those who are not forgotten about. When this happens more of those who dont try will definitely try as we know that they definitely respond to the incentives when provided.

I believe in a hand up and not a hand out. Life is tough and some people, through no fault of their own, are in a bad place. Incentive should be provided to support these people as they try to HELP THEMSELVES HONESTLY. Self supporting people generally have good self esteem. Dependent adults usually dont.

Like Al Sharpton said (and many will be shocked that he said this)...."If I see you on Friday flat on the ground asking for help, I will help you. If I come back on Monday and you are still in the same place I will walk right passed you". This he said to an audience which was almost exclusively middle class blacks. This is what being BLACK is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City