Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Hilltop...you forget that you cannot be a chief without indians. Do you want to be a chief that cheats his own indians, steals from them, and drives them to poverty...with the excuse of: Well nobody told you to be indians..you should have been chiefs..too bad! Really? How long before the indians say you are right....and eat you!

And that's where we are headed Mr. Chief....I will bring the adobo for your bbq!
problem is America encourages every kid to go to college to simply "not be an Indian because you deserve more; you're such a winner; blah blah" instead of using the high school system to prepare kids for the real world which does need Indians. when the German high school system notices that a kid "ain't too erudite", they steer him or her towards a blue collar job market that their country needs filled. this is what my sister's German friend told me.

Last edited by grimace8; 09-21-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I think that if you are on welfare/food stamps, you should be imposed to strict restrictions, keep a daily log or journal of the activities you've done to seek employment and/or training coarse to improve your life. Just like a movie goer validates their parking stub, welfare recieptants should have some type of form validated by the potential employer certifying that they attended the job interview and/or submitted their resume. In addition, they should be forced to take pictures of themselves in front of the potential employer's building holding the day's newpaper so the welfare office can observe the type of clothes they have on and determine whether or not the welfare recieptant purposally dressed inappropiately to sobotage her chances of getting a job just so she can continue getting a free handout. That's how you get them honest. Make them jump thru hoops for that free handout money. Don't make it easy for them.
Yes but u also need to wonder whether someone with a shortage of common sense would be a help to his/her coworkers or will he/she sleep on the job, take 3 hour lunches, effs up the computers, and generally make things a living hell for his/her coworkers? Then what? Fire them? Brings us back to square 1.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Yes but u also need to wonder whether someone with a shortage of common sense would be a help to his/her coworkers or will he/she sleep on the job, take 3 hour lunches, effs up the computers, and generally make things a living hell for his/her coworkers? Then what? Fire them? Brings us back to square 1.
If they get fired for their poor conduct then they should be held accountable for their actions and denied any welfare/handouts. They automatically disqualify themselves if they get fired...period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. That'll a teach them a nice lesson in the real world.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,899,781 times
Prison for wealthy Seattle couple who took welfare

The $1.2 million waterfront home where prosecutors say a Seattle chiropractor and his wife lived while claiming more than $135,000 in welfare assistance under multiple federal aid programs

September 21, 2012 10:13 PM

SEATTLE - A Seattle couple who collected welfare while living in a $1.2 million waterfront home are headed to prison.
A federal judge sentenced chiropractor David Silverstein and his longtime partner, Lyudmila Shimonova, to 18 months in prison Friday. Silverstein also must pay a criminal fine of $30,000, even though he's already paid $334,000 in restitution and civil penalties.
Shimonova was ordered to pay $261,000 in restitution.
Prosecutors: Globetrotting couple lived it up while collecting $135K in welfare
Prosecutors say Silverstein pretended he was Shimonova's landlord at a home on Lake Washington that she occupied with her two children. In reality, Silverstein was living there too.
Prosecutors say the couple received more than $1,200 each month in federal housing assistance. They also say Shimonova received more than $100,000 in state and Social Security benefits while owning a $12,500 platinum and diamond ring and $17,000 diamond earrings

clearly this couple aren't black or latino, or "ghetto." glad they went after their asses.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57518248/prison-for-wealthy-seattle-couple-who-took-welfare

Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,935,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
If they get fired for their poor conduct then they should be held accountable for their actions and denied any welfare/handouts. They automatically disqualify themselves if they get fired...period. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. That'll a teach them a nice lesson in the real world.
And how would you like them to feed their children ? Because there are always children involved, and like another poster, I have also met many mothers who have that additional child in order to keep benefits for one reason or another.

I am pointing out a very practical problem, not taking a position there.

Remove the children ... ? Sure, except that the foster homes are often scarcely better and too often they are far worse. Moreover, current social-service wisdom ? policy ? dictates, keep the family together no matter what. I have seen some unbelievable situations.

As for teaching such people a lesson, I assure you that this will not be the case. The mind-set and convictions are vastly and entirely different from what would be required. Hence, the term "lifestyle."

Last edited by Harlem resident; 09-22-2012 at 07:26 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Aww poor babies. They committed crimes now want to sap us of money to get their drink on? Riiiight. There wasn't entitlement programs when people came off the boat in NYC, they lived through slums and the depression. Guess what, they did what they had to do. We as a country have it FAR too easy. If you have a TV and Cable along with a Cell phone and a Xbox, you ARENT STRUGGLING. Sell everything, live in a tiny crappy apartment and strive each day to provide something this country wants. Don't give a laundry list of excuses why life sucks. Go make it better and learn to buck up!
Really? What antiquated world are you living??

What I note are all sorts of people, just off a plane, receiving WIC, EBT, Medicaid, and every other entitlement. People who haver never paid taxes, are not paying tax, are not 'culturally' capable of earning a living, or earning above the poverty rate.

Islamic women who choose Berkas, rather than assimilation. Islamic men, who make the same choice. Queens iis FULL of these people. I've seen these people, can't speaak a word of English, wearing their Native Clothing, qued up online for Medicaid!!

Not only are these people receiving what they do not deserve, but are treated equally vs a U.S. citizen, a taxpayer, who has paid into the system, whose parents and grandparents have paid into the system. Yet, citizens must stand behind these people.

Also, the benefit which American citizens are entitled to receive is reduced, less than what it could be, as the result of benefits being paid to NON citizens who have never paid into the system, have no people who have paid into the system, and will NEVER pay into the system!

I just don't get this!!

Get off a plane, speak no English, refuse assimilation, and receive benefits, that I, a generational American are not entitled to.

Mr. Buffet wants a higher tax rate, let him send a donation to the government. Same thing with Mr. Obama. If their secretaries pay at a higher rate than they do, then the solution is rather simple, LOWER THEIR TAXES! Obviously, their tax rate is too high!

It is not that the rich pay too little, it is that the middle class pays too much, while government waste their taxes, and spends money against their interest.

If there must be taxation, then government s/b reduced just to the essentials (what these are is a matter of debate), for example, defense, health, and such.

All citizens s/b treated EQUAL!! A single tax rate for everyone. The more one earns, the more one should have and keep, NOT less!

For example, a person with the ambition to work TWO jobs, should not be required to pay taxes in order that some guy who chooses NOT to work TWO jobs, can receive government benefits.

There are people in this forum who do not and will not work 12 hour days (in their own words), and belittle those that do word very hard and reap the benefits of their hard work, better neighborhoods, better schools, better neighbors, in general a better life. Which they have worked for.

As a result of all their hard and smart work they earn MORE!!

Why should such people be taxed MORE?

Why should a guy, working an 8 hour day, accepting a midlin' life, living in a so so neighborhood, his kids going to public school, overalll a lessor life of choice, or at least of less ambition.

Why should the ambitious person earning more as a consequence of his ambition, pay more taxes than a non ambitious person earning less?

I don't get that!

Individual Freedom and the Ambitious Pursuiit of Happiness, isn't this what this nation was built upon?

Make it so that people working a second job, or working 12 hour days, willl not be taxed beyond a normal 40 hour work week. That all work beyond such a mnimum will be tax free!!

What do you think the consequences will be?

How would such a circumstance effect you?

Would you work more, work less, or just the same?

Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Welfare fraud. Penny ante stuff. If you want to save the taxpayers some money make hedge fund managers pay income tax at the same rate as scholteachers and firemen.
Has a school teacher or fireman ever give someone a job?

Nope!

Does anyone other than Hedge Fund managers have better retirement benefits than teachers and firemen?

Besides, the real issue is with the Government STEALING money from citizens in the form of taxes.

It is not a matter of some people paying too little, it is a matter of all people paying too much!

Everyone s/b entitled to 100% of their income!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,935,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Has a school teacher or fireman ever give someone a job?
I do not agree with everything you have said, but this is a central and important aspect of the problem, and one most people miss in the welfare folks vs. financial sector criminals thing. In the system we currently have here, the latter do, ostensibly, offer something to the common good - opportunity, investment, etc.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 20,816 times
Wow i was waiting for a thread like this...

Living in Southern Brooklyn I can tell you that there is severe Medicaid/Food Stamps abuse; the problem is rampant...

Medicaid scams: hundreds of pharmacies making it clear they accept Medicaid (often times the name of the pharmacy is overshadowed by the "We Accept Medicaid"); more pharmacies than one could imagine, two on one block on both sides of the block (I know Brooklyn has a lot of people, so I guess we need these hundreds upon hundreds of apteka's in addition to CVS/Walgreens/etc, which also accept Medicaid)....I used to have friends who would brag about such fraud, praise their parents for it. Then there are the fraudulent doctors: I had another friend working for some medical practice where he would preform various neurological tests on himself, was given a list of patient names who were supposedly "in need" of such procedures, and of course the government foots the bill for falsified tests (this same friend told me what he does is only the tip of the iceberg, that there are even heart transplants being preformed on entitlement funding: this is a bit of an extreme example, but I guess all one can do is laugh it off)

Then there is the foodstamp abuse: I love watching Russian women draped in jewels and fine furs, as well as businessmen in front of me on line in C-Town closing realty deals, both whip out SNAP cards (Its become a bit of a hobby I admit)...Its sad, its humorous, and nothing will ever change...

Fake names, dummy corporations, hiding assets, cash only/only paying in cash, multiple names/aliases: I've heard and seen some crazy things (sounds like a movie tagline). The crazy thing is many people I've spoken to don;t think they're really doing anything wrong, whats the harm in bankrupting the "bad" government...

And I don't think things will change anytime soon (this is a more sophisticated level of crime, non-existant "welfare queens" have nothing on South Brooklyn) in this lovely salad-bowl that is NYC

Old 09-22-2012, 03:30 PM

156 posts, read 285,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am happy they are providing more resources to help people, and setting expectations and goals with real repercussions (at least in theory). Who would be against that?

I am all for reforming the social safety net system, and this is one of those ways we should all support. But while we are busy trying to smash the ant, why are we missing the ant hill and queen ant surrounding us? If you want reform and make a real impact, you don't start with the ant, you go right to the colony....and by that I mean the Defense Dept...I believe it consumes 1/3 of the budget and growing. And then you want to go after corporate welfare....why give billions to companies making billions in profits!

So yes I am on board with this...but everyone cheers when we squeeze the little guy, but nobody addresses the BIG guys sucking our country dry...corporations. So if you want to be serious about cheats, let's talk about the REAL cheats...until then...this is really the usual smoke and mirrors.
+1. Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City