Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times

Advertisements

I'm not beening a Pick about this post but i do think it funny that everyone who thought i was a little bit off to have some storm supplies under the bed is now going maybe your right about having a little extra here and there to ride out the weather for those just in case moments like this one .

When i first got to the city and did a few post here about having extras for that just in case moment some of the people said it would never happen here but it did .So now do you think about the next year season now or do you go back to sticking your head in the sand .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM

510 posts, read 1,443,708 times
According to the MTA:

"The South Ferry station is filled track to ceiling with water as are several of the subway tunnels."

I wonder how Bowling Green fared.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:46 AM

241 posts, read 373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
I'm not beening a Pick about this post but i do think it funny that everyone who thought i was a little bit off to have some storm supplies under the bed is now going maybe your right about having a little extra here and there to ride out the weather for those just in case moments like this one .

When i first got to the city and did a few post here about having extras for that just in case moment some of the people said it would never happen here but it did .So now do you think about the next year season now or do you go back to sticking your head in the sand .
Repped

Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM

448 posts, read 685,443 times
Damn. R.I.P to Atlantic City.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
It will take 4 days to restore electricity to Manhattan and Brooklyn. It take more time than that for the other boroughs.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Most of those fallen trees in the pics had very few roots holding them upright. That's what happens when they grow in a tiny space between the street and sidewalk. Every time utility workers fix pipes etc they cut roots.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Holy cow, reading and seeing all this is nuts. I was there for Irene, but that was nothing compared to this.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,727 times
I think everyone should own a kerosene lamp "just in cast". My mom always drills that into my head anytime a big storm is coming up! I called her before her power went out and all her lamps were full and ready to go LOL! I didn't lose power but I sure was ready "just in case". Also bought some extra non perishables "just in case"

I shook my head at the people who didn't take this seriously. Mother Nature is no joke! There are enough examples of what strong wind and too much water can do. NYC is flanked by bodies of water so it doesn't take much common sense to see that low lying areas near those waters would flood. And we already know that the subways have flooding issues when it rains just a little too much.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I like the $5 per picture collection. I feel sorry for those who have to deal with the expense and time of getting cars and houses repaired.
I didn't see any trees over houses, just over cars.
Also like 60-70% of businesses on Broadway, Steinway and 30th ave are open. Which is a good sign.

This is of course only one neighborhood among so many in Queens.
How is it around your area?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
I have no power at my apartment on 12th Street, but I have a friend who happens to have a free apartment with power uptown so I’m staying there.

Apart from the Subway and the power stations, Manhattan sustained relatively minor damage. I saw a few awnings down, and some bent street signs, but wind was not our problem last night. Cabs are available, but the drivers are increasingly exhausted.

The streets are full of people. It feels like being in Paris because everyone seems to be speaking French. Tourists are everywhere.

A handful of bodegas are open downtown using generator power. They’re selling sandwiches and hot coffee and have lines down the block.

Power starts working around 27th Street. Around 20 percent of the businesses are open uptown, including a lot of grocery and drug stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City