Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,925 times

Advertisements

Hurricane Sandy Brooklyn - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM

Hurricane Sandy Bedford avenue 9 PM - YouTube

Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnOrange3 View Post
I have some family members in Zone A who live in a third floor building in the Coney Island Area. I can't get a hold of them. I'm thinking its because they have no power and phone service for land line is out and cell just goes to voice mail. I tried to convince them to evacuate. They refused! They said they would be fine since their on the third floor, have enough emergency supplies, food ect, bla bla bla. Anyone know if its a total mess over there? TY They are right by Coney Island amusement park
Here is a story... later there was looting. But it's obvious from the story no one has power there.

Sandy hits Coney Island 'like a tsunami,' flattens houses, submerges hundreds of cars | Fox News

Here's info about Coney Island itself: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brookl...qaAs8HP7D8Q0MP

Photos:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archive...island_hu.html

Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM

about 60 people were robbing pharmacy on neptune avenue today
as NYPD was watching and doing nothing to stop them

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-31-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here is a story... later there was looting. But it's obvious from the story no one has power there.

Sandy hits Coney Island 'like a tsunami,' flattens houses, submerges hundreds of cars | Fox News
Thank you for this. It's all so sad.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I wonder when is Oprah and the rest of the "movie stars", that all seem to have an opinion in world affairs, going to help us out and take up a collection.

I wonder if Oprah will build new homes for the people in "Breezy Point", like she did in "New Orleans"......

Old 10-31-2012, 08:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:

Here's info about Coney Island itself: Sandy takes Coney Island amusement zone on rough ride

Photos:
Coney Island Hurricane Sandy flood aftermath photos
I clicked the first link and then selected another similar story on the site. I just want to say it never ceases to amaze me how naive and/or stupid people are. In the story I read, there was a pregnant woman who lives in a luxury building in the evacuation zone (I looked it up -- 2 bedrooms rent for $6,000 a month). She decided not to evacuate.

Anyway, she starts to have contractions Monday night and the nervous super is researching on the internet before the power goes out how to deliver a baby. In the end she finds a cab to get her to the hospital.

Sorry, but if you're that pregnant that contractions could start any minute AND you live in the evacuation zone AND you are well-off enough to pay $6,000 a month in rent, why would you not evacuate to a hotel near your hospital?

A look at how New York, from Coney Island to Times Square, is faring after Sandy | Fox News

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Up to 72 deaths and climbing.

Sandy's death toll hits 72, as tales of tragedy and heroism emerge from devastation | Fox News

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
Henna wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, but if you're that pregnant that contractions could start any minute AND you live in the evacuation zone AND you are well-off enough to pay $6,000 a month in rent, why would you not evacuate to a hotel near your hospital?
Two reasons:

a) Some people value property and material belongings over all else.

b) If nothing bad has ever happened to them in their lives, they refuse to believe that anything bad ever could happen -- they are simply in denial that they could be in danger.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:

Two reasons:

a) Some people value property and material belongings over all else.

b) If nothing bad has ever happened to them in their lives, they refuse to believe that anything bad ever could happen -- they are simply in denial that they could be in danger.
maybe her husband is cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City