Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Well - have you been there to say it ain't so? I've lived through several storms. And where are you going to do #1 or #2 if your toilets don't work? In my case - it would be outside. But I live on an acre of land - and don't have to walk up/down 10-20 stories. Just tell me what you would do if you lived on the 15th floor of any place in any major urban area and your toilets hadn't worked for about 3-4 days now. Robyn

P.S. The more I think about it - the more I wonder why there aren't port-a-potties lining the streets in lower Manhattan. Along with portable places to wash up/shower.

Showers for dirty workers, money for college - CNN.com
Give it time for crying out loud. They don't store those things in Manhattan, and many of the areas they do store them are in equally bad shape. If people had paid attention and evacuated they'd be in shelters with showers and toilets.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
NYPD drove around with loud speakers, and knocked on doors.
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I don't know if you are in NYC, but it is all over the local news here, at least NY1 and CBS2.
I am not in NYC - but I'm a storm junkie (many of us in Florida are ) - and didn't see anything like what you're describing. Links would be appreciated. Robyn

P.S. What are NY1 and CBS2?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
I am not in NYC - but I'm a storm junkie (many of us in Florida are ) - and didn't see anything like what you're describing. Links would be appreciated. Robyn

It was shown on CNN and the Weather Channel--I saw it Sunday afternoon.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:52 PM

241 posts, read 373,231 times
Quote:
Hundreds of public housing tenants defy evacuation orders, choosing to wait out Hurricane Sandy in buildings without elevators, heat or hot water* - NY Daily News

"Almost everyone is still inside. No one is leaving," said an NYPD officer standing in the lobby of a building at Unity Towers in Coney Island. "No one thinks this is a big deal. They just won't listen." By late Monday, as the waters of New York Harbor began creeping higher, a spot check at several NYCHA projects found hundreds of residents reluctant to give ground.

....A frustrated police officer went door to door at Haber, seeking names and number of residents staying through the storm.
"These people are unbelievable," one officer muttered as he was told a woman was staying with three young children.

Quote:
2 of our local news stations in NYC.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
So to recap, here we are on page eight of this clown and pony show troll thread and the following facts have been adduced as evidence that a NOLA/Katrina situation is poppin off in "the projects":

1. an "ugly vibe"
2. bad smells (this I can believe, if no one is flushing their toilet)
3. some youths hanging out in the dark
4. OP once heard some firecrackers going off.

Did I miss anything?

Apropos of nothing, I wouldn't be surprised if every right wing jackwagon with access to a computer in the english speaking world was frantically googling "New York Sandy Riots Looting" and hoping for some hits.
I immediately thought of looting, sorry but that's just the way it is. News broadcasts have "taught" me through the years. I saw one report, was surprised of only one report and then went on to forget about it until I saw this thread. I never went "looking" for any reports of looting.

The military is on it's way to NY.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Give it time for crying out loud. They don't store those things in Manhattan, and many of the areas they do store them are in equally bad shape. If people had paid attention and evacuated they'd be in shelters with showers and toilets.
I will agree with you if they don't bring out hundreds/thousands for the Marathon on Sunday - and leave the people running to their own devices. Would you be willing to place a wager that that won't happen?

FWIW - although I agree with you strongly about heeding evacuation orders (I always evacuate when ordered to do so - or - even when not ordered - when I think it's prudent) - here's the evacuation map of NYC before Sandy:

New York City Evacuation Zones - weather.com

Some tiny little slivers of land in coastal areas along the Manhattan coast line.

I reckon most caught in this mess didn't disregard evacuation orders. They just wound up with a bad deal of the cards. All the power in lower Manhattan getting blown up (along with more flooding than expected). Like the people in New Orleans who thought they had escaped Katrina - but wound up under water when the levees were breached. And the people in Miami 10-15 miles inland who were demolished in Andrew when they were hit by unexpected 125+ MPH winds. Our storm warnings and our evacuation zones aren't perfect (mine are easier than most because I've lived in zone 1 evacuation places since I moved to Florida 40+ years ago).

I mean - heck - if the big wigs at NYU Medical Center got caught with their pants down - well how can you expect more from a bunch of poor people in lower Manhattan who weren't ordered to evacuate?

Anyway - when our warnings and our evacuation order systems fail (and they will fail from time to time) - the issue is "what then". I know that the response post-Andrew was awful. So was post-Katrina. And this post-Sandy doesn't look much better to me. When I see stuff like this - it makes me sick:

Staten Island Councilman James Oddo: 'Idiotic' to divert cops to New York Marathon right after Hurricane Sandy - NY Daily News

Robyn

Old 11-01-2012, 05:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I must say, while I have sympathy for those that didnt leave, this happens every single time with every single storm. People who should evacuate, never do. And we're not going to turn this into on "only rich people can leave" (though I will admit that for people with more means, prep and evacuation is easier and more comfortable), I know some people with significant means that didn't evacuate and were actually making jokes on Twitter about the storm until $h!t got real. Come the morning after, they are scrambling to get it together so they can leave the city because they were no longer able to stay in their home due to damage. With one such person, I actually looked up her area on the map and thought, "why the hell didn't you leave? Not only are you clearly in Zone A but you can damn near spit into the ocean from your yard. Obviously your home was going to flood beyond habitation."

Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,591 times
The projects I am talking about are in zone A. From what I have witnessed, not many people left. I live in zone C, I did not evacuate. Most people in the surrounding neighborhoods, LES, Tribeca, Soho are gone. Even in Chinatown, many of the Chinese have fled. Most of the people that remain downtown are project people.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
Hundreds of public housing tenants defy evacuation orders, choosing to wait out Hurricane Sandy in buildings without elevators, heat or hot water* - NY Daily News

"Almost everyone is still inside. No one is leaving," said an NYPD officer standing in the lobby of a building at Unity Towers in Coney Island. "No one thinks this is a big deal. They just won't listen." By late Monday, as the waters of New York Harbor began creeping higher, a spot check at several NYCHA projects found hundreds of residents reluctant to give ground.

....A frustrated police officer went door to door at Haber, seeking names and number of residents staying through the storm.
"These people are unbelievable," one officer muttered as he was told a woman was staying with three young children.

2 of our local news stations in NYC.
I was talking about lower Manhattan - where the OP is - not Brooklyn. Show me poor people in lower Manhattan who defied evacuation orders (big deal rich people did - but they are now all in luxury hotels in upper Manhattan or their second or third or fourth houses elsewhere). Really rich people can always afford to ignore all warnings - and then buy their way out of trouble:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200...a_fact_tomkins

Is there a CBS1 - and - if so - what's the difference between CBS1 and CBS2? Robyn

Old 11-01-2012, 05:17 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,216,845 times
Quote:

I reckon most caught in this mess didn't disregard evacuation orders. They just wound up with a bad deal of the cards.

I mean - heck - if the big wigs at NYU Medical Center got caught with their pants down - well how can you expect more from a bunch of poor people in lower Manhattan who weren't ordered to evacuate?

Robyn
I think you "reckon" wrong, Robyn. Every single person who didn't obey the mandatory evacuation has said "I was wrong", "I shoulda listened".

The hospital was another animal. They had backup sources but they guessed wrong. NO hospital wants to evacuate their patients to another hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City