Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,608,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
I might have to right now. I'm on the computer and he demands that I get off. Here he goes with calling me a *****, saying "**** you" and other obscenities. Another day of this constant chaos in this house.
So when did this start? Sounds like you're only now deciding to deal with this reality seeing as your having a baby. Don't give family a pass for abuse and bad/dangerous behavior - you should have been out years back. You're doing the right thing, if a bit delayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 PM

13,452 posts, read 15,579,313 times
I still think that for the sake of the child, the OP should put her studies on hold and enter the workforce once the baby is born. That is what I would do. Making more money would give her child the better life right now.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,117,437 times
I don't get why you sabotaged yourself by getting pregnant with a year of school left. In any case your best bet is a student loan to pay for a room or small apartment until you graduate.

Go down to your college's financial aid office and ask for a FAFSA form. It's late but there is always federal student loan money available. If you're lucky you may be able to get a Pell grant and maybe an FSEOG which don't have to be paid back.

FYI federal student loans have to be paid back. They give you time after you graduate before your payments start but you must budget to pay them. If you don't make payments they will hound you to the end of the earth to get that money paid back. Even take it out of your social security payments when you're an old lady if social security is still around by then.

Also Lehman has a subsidized child care center for the children of students. Check into it before you have the baby. Got to learn to plan for your future if you want a better life.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,860,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I was being sarcastic

Oh. Well I stand corrected

Old 08-13-2013, 01:10 PM

35 posts, read 84,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
I don't get why you sabotaged yourself by getting pregnant with a year of school left. In any case your best bet is a student loan to pay for a room or small apartment until you graduate.

Go down to your college's financial aid office and ask for a FAFSA form. It's late but there is always federal student loan money available. If you're lucky you may be able to get a Pell grant and maybe an FSEOG which don't have to be paid back.

FYI federal student loans have to be paid back. They give you time after you graduate before your payments start but you must budget to pay them. If you don't make payments they will hound you to the end of the earth to get that money paid back. Even take it out of your social security payments when you're an old lady if social security is still around by then.

Also Lehman has a subsidized child care center for the children of students. Check into it before you have the baby. Got to learn to plan for your future if you want a better life.
I have already applied for a loan...$2871 is ALL they gave me. I'm currently waiting to see what's going to happen for other loan I applied for.

Sabotaged myself? I was on birth control when I became pregnant and these incidences do occur. I regret NOTHING about this blessing from God. How dare you make such a rude statement without knowing the WHOLE story.

Yes, lehman does have daycare...for TODDLERS 2-3 years old. Not small infants. I will already be done before with my degree before my child hits that age. I already have a qualified babysitter who is certified and a close family friend.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM

35 posts, read 84,386 times
Quote:
So when did this start? Sounds like you're only now deciding to deal with this reality seeing as your having a baby. Don't give family a pass for abuse and bad/dangerous behavior - you should have been out years back. You're doing the right thing, if a bit delayed.
I've always ignored my brother but now that I'm pregnant its incredibly stressful to deal with the nonstop shouting, disrespect, physical aggressions, anger etc. So far he has been arrested this year. Its crazy whenever we start fighting/arguing I suddenly don't feel my child kicking me. The other week I had to punch him in the face to leave me alone. I tried staying with my father's child but he has an incredibly rude father with drug problems and a younger brother who also has a hoarding/smoking tendency like my own brother (my brother doesn't smoke). I don't want him to stop school either when we are both so close to the goal of graduating. This shelter thing is the last thing I want to do trust and believe me...but I've tried loans, scholarships, and working for the NYCDOE is just horrendous.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,608,568 times
Quote:
I've always ignored my brother but now that I'm pregnant its incredibly stressful to deal with the nonstop shouting, disrespect, physical aggressions, anger etc. So far he has been arrested this year. Its crazy whenever we start fighting/arguing I suddenly don't feel my child kicking me. The other week I had to punch him in the face to leave me alone. I tried staying with my father's child but he has an incredibly rude father with drug problems and a younger brother who also has a hoarding/smoking tendency like my own brother (my brother doesn't smoke). I don't want him to stop school either when we are both so close to the goal of graduating. This shelter thing is the last thing I want to do trust and believe me...but I've tried loans, scholarships, and working for the NYCDOE is just horrendous.

Jeeze louise. You need a clean break from all of these people. When you get on your feet again, stick to the graduation and good job plan, and focus on your child's best interests when he/she is born. That makes every decision easy - is this in the child's best interests or not? Forget emotional attachments and go rational only.
And by that, I mean keep away from abusers (family or otherwise), violence, drugs, drama, and instability. If you're bringing a child into the world you owe them that.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,560,889 times
Quote:
I bet we (the taxpayers) are subsidizing all this nonsense.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,972,235 times
Quote:
... how I tried relentlessly for student loans time and time again...
This is utter baloney and points to a "story," a lot someone is not telling.

There is no "trying" for student loans. Everyone gets them. This is also the case for certain government grants. The paperwork, the "application," is actually a set of formalities.

But you will be turned down if you have scammed the system or defaulted on loans. For private loans you also need good credit. You will be turned down if you have exercised poor financial judgment and have bad credit.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,972,235 times
Quote:
kumbaya
Hey, I was going to post that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City