Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,656,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If there was such a cultural restraint, the op would have been better off to focus on completing her school instead of encountering the mess she faces now. How often do you see a single indian mom coming out to beg others for help raising their children? someone said those irresponsible pregnancies are not cultural, but why it is much more in some culture but little to none in other cultures?

also, read my cat story and you will get a sense of the cat mentality that welfare can bring out of humans.
We have all learned this year that it can be very dangerous as a woman in India. Cultural restraint for whom? Are you actually female? You should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
your comment is non sense though...while i am willing to give my kids as much as I could, I will also teach them the values of responsibility and independence.
I'm sure they will be perfect. They will certainly never need your help, even as adults.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,267,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is very odd that you keep saying those things. I'm not sure you understand the actual meaning of "karma." You need to take control over your life and stop looking to all of these invisible and magical forces. They do not exist, as someone already pointed out.

Try to direct your energy to the tasks you have at hand instead of vindictiveness.

You seem very, very young. I would be quite surprised if you are 26 as you state.
I find it ironic to spout off about karma but at the same time use it in a threatening manner to everyone who disagrees with her, as if she is the karma police or something. The very thought of karma being used to command harm against another? I feel like if you really believe in karma, using it to threaten others in the same sentence is quite hypocritical and defeats the whole purpose of the word.

I hope the OP will use the resources given, get off the computer, and make something happen for herself and put this part of her life behind her.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,075,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
We have all learned this year that it can be very dangerous as a woman in India. Cultural restraint for whom? Are you actually female? You should be ashamed of yourself.
You are probably confusing female rights with personal responsibility issues here. had the op's baby's father opened this same thread, I would have said the same thing...yes, I do have bad feeling about talking loud and tough on this matter...i just got to the point of looking on the problem from a different angle.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM

5,303 posts, read 5,282,633 times
I can't help thinking that people who use "God Bless" in their posts are scammers. Always makes me think of the homeless people in town, holding signs saying "God Bless". Scammers, all of them. Friend of mine caught them on video getting into an SUV at the end of the day, driving home. "God Bless" is like trying to prove that you are really truthful and honest and holy, when its in fact the opposite.

Sorry for going off tangent there.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
your comment is non sense though...while i am willing to give my kids as much as I could, I will also teach them the values of responsibility and independence.
How was my comment nonsense? My response pointed out that some cultures in which pre-marital sex is a "shame" also have severe punishments for it (mostly to women because it is their "fault"). If that is the culture you'd like to raise your daughters in, get on that plane and au revoir.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM

5,255 posts, read 5,075,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I can't help thinking that people who use "God Bless" in their posts are scammers. Always makes me think of the homeless people in town, holding signs saying "God Bless". Scammers, all of them. Friend of mine caught them on video getting into an SUV at the end of the day, driving home. "God Bless" is like trying to prove that you are really truthful and honest and holy, when its in fact the opposite.

People who abuse others' generosity and trust will cost the humanity of a society eventually, that is what is scaring. Welfare system can run longer in some countries than others depending on how responsible their citizens are. The scandinadian countries are great models for welfare but look at how Sweden is struggling today after its war refugee immigrant population from the middle east surges. People in NYC in general appear combative and often on guard compared to elsewhere in the country in my opinion. I believe this related to the mixed bag of people out there one has to deal with in every day life.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:45 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,178,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post

I agree.Can't stand anyone who uses "god bless",especially if they have one of those hideous southern accents.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,144,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Drop out of school and work to support your "decision" as I said, pregnancy is an optional condition. You chose it. Get your STNA and go that route for a while. At least you will have an income.
You aren't her mother, OhioGirl, and if you were going to be this nasty to a woman for whatever happened in her life, do it to her face. Oh, you wouldn't dare, she'd likely knock you out cold. Real brave of you to tell her to sell her computer, her clothes, and drop out of school when you're at home safe behind a computer screen. I dare you to go a shelter, social services place, or other place with women in her predicament and say it to these women's faces.

You would never dream of doing it, right?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,144,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Wow, that's unfortunate. Most of the colleges and many university have completely adopted branding strategies, reinvention, "innovation" (my favorite). If it does not work, close and reinvent yourself as a new product directed at a new consumer ... I mean, student.

I did get a very good laugh with the post above, though, especially the discussion of narcissism.
I googled Lehman and saw no information about Lehman closing. I don't think this is an official decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City