Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times

Advertisements

Have all people in NYC been a victim of crime at some point or another in their lives? I live in Rapid City, South Dakota so crime is kind of an unknown phenomena that we only see on TV!

Have you ever been shot, stabbed, raped, mugged, beaten, etc.?

If so, why do you put up with it? Why not move to a cleaner, quieter place where people treat each other with respect? Do you get depressed living in a city where you see a million people per day and you do not know anyone?!

What is it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default bloodshed that never makes the paper

Catching a beating was a rite of passage growing up. The best beating I ever caught was in 1990 when I was 14. It was a completely random racial beating something that happened everyday back then, but the only beating you will hear about from that era is the Howard Beach incident.

It went down like this; I was playing handball after school at the park and left late. I caught the Q27 to head home from high school sometime around 5PM, the bus was packed. every seat taken with straphangers too. I was by myself in the back of the bus when 2 older black kids caught me by surprise. They had the bus stopped with the back door open when they quickly turned around and dropped a metal studded brass knuckle bomb right into my nose. That much force to the nose really gets the adrenalin flowing and there is little pain. In the ensuing scrap I stepped up and wrestled the sucker puncher to the steps and he ran off.

In the aftermath I was left on the crowded bus with a broken nose and blood flowing like a siv. The bus kept rolling, nobody batted an eye. Some old lady gave me a Kleenex for the blood, other than that, nobody helped or cared.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:48 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
So now we know the source of Sammyn's open and very obvious racial bias...

DannyBannany,

You watch too much TV, but for your information, I've been shot, stabbed, raped, mugged, beaten and murdered all in the same day. As my fellow Drover said, you get used to it.

But would you believe Rapid City has more crime than New York City?? Yep! Just check the statistics... we're safer here, dude. Despite what you may see in Law&Order or whatever you watch that makes you think we live in a crime-infested town.

There are 9 million people here and I only know a dozen folks. Makes me sad. I'll set out to know every single New Yorker in the five boroughs just for you.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:22 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
I've witnessed shootings, muggings, and robberies. Never been a victim of a physical attack... Yet.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
You live in Scarsdale... not exactly a rough town! Where are you seeing all of this action?

I lived in Bushwick for a while, in the late 90's, and never had a problem. The only crime I've seen was a beatdown happening in the back of a car in Manhattan a few years ago.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:26 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
I've lived in NYC for nearly 15 years in good neighborhoods and bad. I've had my pocket picked twice. Once was in a bar and it was a dude who was mad that I wouldn't give him the time of day. I was drunk and didn't notice my purse was open - completely preventable. The second time it was a father/son team. I caught the kid and the police caught the dad.

That's my grand total of crime. I know one person who was mugged in the last two years and one guy who was robbed by someone he picked up in a bar (notice a trend?). Other than that, nothing. No break-ins, no beat downs. The worst thing I've seen in NYC was the second plane hitting the WTC.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
From the people I know, I hear about more crime that took place back in the 80's and the 90's, than I hear about crime today. My neighbor said she got robbed walking her dog late at night, like a year and a half ago, close to where I live, next to riverside park. Ah and I also have seen the aftermath of a couple of car breakings. Broken windows that is. I also know a few people in Harlem and they haven't report any crime to me yet. Also a friend that lives in Bushwick, and nothing yet.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Default Sorry

I didn't mean to label NYC with a "crime haven" term. I just wanted to know what it is like to live in a such a huge place and not know a lot of people and what it is like to live in a place that is dubbed a corrupt city. Rapid City has its share of crime too. We are actually dubbed the "rape capital of America" or "Rape-a-City".

I have an available internship in NYC and even though I have been to New York once, I am unsure of how people there are and how they treat one another.

From the responses on this post I can tell you, New Yorkers act just how I expected.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:45 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Catching a beating was a rite of passage growing up. The best beating I ever caught was in 1990 when I was 14. It was a completely random racial beating something that happened everyday back then, but the only beating you will hear about from that era is the Howard Beach incident.

It went down like this; I was playing handball after school at the park and left late. I caught the Q27 to head home from high school sometime around 5PM, the bus was packed. every seat taken with straphangers too. I was by myself in the back of the bus when 2 older black kids caught me by surprise. They had the bus stopped with the back door open when they quickly turned around and dropped a metal studded brass knuckle bomb right into my nose. That much force to the nose really gets the adrenalin flowing and there is little pain. In the ensuing scrap I stepped up and wrestled the sucker puncher to the steps and he ran off.

In the aftermath I was left on the crowded bus with a broken nose and blood flowing like a siv. The bus kept rolling, nobody batted an eye. Some old lady gave me a Kleenex for the blood, other than that, nobody helped or cared.
I'll do you one better... I was taking the subway to the office during rush hour and the man sitting by where I was standing got up to get off the train. I turned to sit and this thug pushed me out of the way and grabbed the seat. The man made a comment about what an a**hole he was so the thug jumped up and got in his face... so I sat in the seat. As soon as he saw me sit in his seat he grabbed me by the hair and tried dragging me out of the seat. He had a fold-up umbrella which he started smacking me in the face with. Only one man came to my defense, and then the thug started beating on him too. I can't fight my way out of a paper bag, but I sure was going to give it my best shot. Two stations later a cop got on and dragged him off. I arrived at work that morning with a black eye, a bloody nose, a fat lip, and blood on the front of my dress, but I felt okay just knowing that the thug had the imprint of my knee in his gonads.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes i have and it was awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City