Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:38 AM

110 posts, read 124,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Lots of grad students have already bought coops in Hamilton Heights. Many average working people that happen to be White have also bought coops and condos in the area. These people for the most part are not gentrifiers they come from the same working class as the people already there. There are some people in the area that are poor also. BTW a person can be very educated and still make a working class income. Many Black and Latin people have always fit this description in the area. White people previously had more choices of where to live when housing in the city was more affordable.

Listen. African Americans occupied the brownstones in the area called Hamilton Heights. They are mostly middle class. If you walk on Broadway, you thought you were in Washington Heights. They are mostly poor Latinos who rent apts. They occupied the poor areas too, but they are in the valley St. Nicholas - Lenox Ave. Anyway white person that moves into a black area is a gentifier, because they have more disposable income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Post African American & Latino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I happy this is the way it is. The latinos and blacks on NyC are tired of you boring, mostly white , mid westerners moving into the neighborhoods will keep you away then so be it.

Im tired of minorites being priced out of OUR neighborhoods,

If loud music doesthe job then I will BLAST MY MUSIC ! A to lo que da !!! Lmao

Sorry ....head to brooklyn or maybe jersey ??
Just understand that African Americans and Latinos are two totally different people. It is offensive to lump us in the same category. The music that they listen too is not what we are into. This was one of the problems we were having with them. They felt since they were not black, they can do what they want and their immigration status gave them the upperhand. So we lived separately for a while. Buildings black owned wouldn't rent to them and buildings they suppered they wouldn't rent to blacks. That was just the way it was. We was particularly bothered by their hygiene and how it carried over into this country (like throwing garage out the window) and not using soap and water. I hope they grew out of that disputable behavior.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:08 AM

Post Hamiloton Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I would say Manhattanville begins at about 122nd Street and continues north to 135th....on Broadway and Amsterdam. After that it turns into Hamilton Heights, which expands more eastward.
The boundaries must have change more recently. I never considered Broadway Hamilton Heights. More like and extension of Washington Heights or just West Harlem. Hamilton Heights to me was 135th Street and 165 North/South and Amsterdam Avenue St. Nicholas Avenue and Edgecombe Avenue (North). Hamilton Heights is known for it brownstones and historical property.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:41 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,516,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qolspony View Post
The boundaries must have change more recently. I never considered Broadway Hamilton Heights. More like and extension of Washington Heights or just West Harlem. Hamilton Heights to me was 135th Street and 165 North/South and Amsterdam Avenue St. Nicholas Avenue and Edgecombe Avenue (North). Hamilton Heights is known for it brownstones and historical property.
While there is no such thing as an "official" boundary, the wikipedia page for Hamilton Heights sums up the consensus:

Quote:
Hamilton Heights is bounded by 135th Street to the south, Riverside Drive to the west, 155th Street to the north, and Edgecombe Avenue to the east
So your Southern and Eastern borders are right, but you need to extend it over to Riverside on the West and bring it down to 155th St. on the North. You're well into Washington Heights by the time you hit 165th Street.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,724 times
Quote:
happy this is the way it is. The latinos and blacks on NyC are tired of you boring, mostly white , mid westerners moving into the neighborhoods will keep you away then so be it.

Im tired of minorites being priced out of OUR neighborhoods,

If loud music does the job then I will BLAST MY MUSIC !
A to lo que da !!! Lmao

Sorry ....head to brooklyn or maybe jersey ??
The way NYC real estate is going, it will be you heading to Jersey soon enough, with your loud music, and we will enjoy seeing the back of you on the way out.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
145th and Bway is Hamilton Heights. Nothing's changed. And Hamilton Heights is a sub-neighborhood within Harlem anyway, so we can call it just plain old Harlem.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-26-2015, 02:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Hamilton Heights is bordered by Amsterdam and St. Nicholas Avenues. And I was surprised to see Asians. Just like the Hispanic population, the Asian population has been growing in the United States since the 1990s. Anyway, I wasn't so surprised by the white people as I was the Asians on this side. But when you look at it, it makes sense. Asians have always pretty much followed Whites into areas. What is different about this is that it is (was) a hispanic area - mainly Dominicans.

Dominicans occupied Amsterdam Avenue (side blocks) and Riverside Drives. African Americans use to have Riverside Drive until they were driven out by crime committed by Dominicans. That was the 70s and 80s.

Then in the 1990s hispanics started moving into traditional black areas Amsterdam - Lenox Avenue.

Asians like white people have higher incomes than Africans Americans and Especially Dominicans. The Dominicans do own more storefront businesses than African Americans, which are mostly funded by drugs.

When White's move into a minority area, the rents go up and second rate businesses get replace. When blacks move into an area, property values are deflated to the point that landlords can't make money and financing dries up.
No to both cases.

When Blacks moved into white neighborhoods en masse post WW2, this is when whites where able to get subsidized mortgages to buy cheap houses in the suburbs and the federal government directed urban disinvestment.

Today when whites move into "minority" areas, it isn't because whites show up rents magically go higher. Companies that invest in decayed urban areas get huge tax credits, as do companies that operate in urban areas. So basically government policy is creating gentrification. Not whites who show up in a neighborhood.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
The way NYC real estate is going, it will be you heading to Jersey soon enough, with your loud music, and we will enjoy seeing the back of you on the way out.
Served!

Actually with the way things are going some of these people end up in the Poconos, Florida, upstate NY, or other places. The lucky ones can afford Jersey.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Listen. African Americans occupied the brownstones in the area called Hamilton Heights. They are mostly middle class. If you walk on Broadway, you thought you were in Washington Heights. They are mostly poor Latinos who rent apts. They occupied the poor areas too, but they are in the valley St. Nicholas - Lenox Ave. Anyway white person that moves into a black area is a gentifier, because they have more disposable income.
Not always. There are low income whites that move into Black areas, even whites on Section 8. This isn't the case in West Harlem. I agree it is being gentrified.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:34 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,248,887 times
Quote:
Your "borders" are based along your gut feeling. Broadway looks like Washington heights to you so in your head it is. And what's this about Dominicans not showering with soap? What the heck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City