Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,918 times

Advertisements

Much nicer! I am not use to a block being this quiet at night. J train is only 1 'city block' or 1 and a half away. Forest park is 1 'city block' away. The bank, the post office is right up the street. The neighborhood is much more mixed than my previous location in Cypress Hills. I'll try out Sal's pizza or D' Aleo's pizza later. It's also cleaner and smells better but I guess it's because the park is nearby and the residents on this side where I'm at now are more middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:34 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
Forest Parkway isn't bad. Very convenient spot too. I sometimes drive through that street.

For some odd reason though the Glendale side is called "Forest Park Drive".

Old 07-13-2015, 07:53 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Much nicer! I am not use to a block being this quiet at night. J train is only 1 'city block' or 1 and a half away. Forest park is 1 'city block' away. The bank, the post office is right up the street. The neighborhood is much more mixed than my previous location in Cypress Hills. I'll try out Sal's pizza or D' Aleo's pizza later. It's also cleaner and smells better but I guess it's because the park is nearby and the residents on this side where I'm at now are more middle class.
Yea Forest Parkway is very nice. It's just a little too quiet for my taste. Right now, it may be nice to get a change of pace from Cypress Hills which I know can be loud at all times, but Forest Parkway especially by the 80s always seems to be the exact opposite. It almost feels like a suburb of Long Island or Queens by Douglaston, Fresh Meadows area.

By the way, that listing for Vermont St. that's going for 1 million is absolutely ridiculous... The hype is completely out of control. This is what prevents a neighborhood from undergoing a healthy form of gentrification in this city. All these websites and newspapers try to manufacture interest in a neighborhood and some sap buys into it and then instead of a neighborhood gradually improving while retaining it's blue collar working class population, the neighborhood ends up losing that in the process while keeping the thugs and criminals who can obtain money illegally... Further separating the classes... It's happening everywhere in the city and it's ridiculous... Bed-stuy and Harlem to me are the biggest examples of this. The church-goers, the blue collar workers that this city was built on, the small business owners, etc. all of them left these areas and what remains now or at least a very significant percentage of the population is simply hipsters, yuppies and thugs...

Last edited by anon1; 07-13-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-13-2015, 02:46 PM

Indeed, north Woodhaven and south feel quite different. More row homes south of Jamaica, more larger detached houses and apartment buildings north of Jamaica.

1 Million for a home on Vermont St is insane. I guess they will sit on it for a while.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
Agreed. North Woodhaven, especially along Park Ln South is nice. South Woodhaven is very meh.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM

South Woodhaven between Jamaica and Atlantic is Cypress Hills jr, more so the part of south Woodhaven closer to Cypress Hills. Southside WH begins to change the more east you go. Best side is the northside.

I've been busy, took a few days off and been moving around. I'd say Woodhaven is 2-3 notches above Cypress Hills, Cypress Hills is 1-2 notches above City Line, and City Line is 2 notches above ENY proper. In terms of quality that is.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
I've been busy, took a few days off and been moving around. I'd say Woodhaven is 2-3 notches above Cypress Hills, Cypress Hills is 1-2 notches above City Line, and City Line is 2 notches above ENY proper. In terms of quality that is.
How about in terms of price? Must be nice not having to pay that Brooklyn premium. I wouldn't be surprised if the newcomers jump right over ENY and Cypress Hills to Woodhaven.

The nice part of Woodhaven is like you said, closer to the park. Its known as Brooklyn Manor. Hard to believe that any of those big victorians would still operate as single family homes.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 PM

The rentals in Cypress Hills were hole in the walls and almost the same price as 'Brooklyn Manor' aka northern Woodhaven.

For instance, there was one rental on Nichols in Cypress Hills which isn't bad, nice CH block with high potential in my opinion. Some of the tenants on the block were another story though. However, the landlord chopped up the apartment, took the master bedroom for himself, made some cheap walls to make it look separated, and was asking market rate for CH. Basically the landlord is living in the same apt, living in the master bedroom (which is cheaply sealed off) and is giving you the back of the apartment which faces the yard. This man had the nerve to ask 4 months rent in advance, 1 month security, and the broker fee. The supposed broker I believe is related to the landlord. The neighbors upstairs were 3 thuggy individuals who looked suspicious.

The others I had the chance to view were hole in the walls, literally. 90% needed massive renovations and I was surprised and disgusted they had the face to list their apartments as is and ask the market rate.

1 landlord in CH wanted the renters to upkeep his property. Do their own repairs and shovel if it snows and rake leaves. LOL! Wait a minute.. I'm renting from you not the landlord!

So I looked elsewhere and for similar price, got way better deals and met less shady landlords. So So.BKLYN and Queens it is.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:19 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,908 times
I was in Highland Park last week and had never been to it. I was in Woodhaven for lunch and wanted to walk around especially when i realized how close to the Brooklyn-Queens border I was.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
I was in Highland Park last week and had never been to it. I was in Woodhaven for lunch and wanted to walk around especially when i realized how close to the Brooklyn-Queens border I was.
There are some cool historical sites in Woodhaven such as the oldest operating pub in the city, the house where A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was written, a homemade candy shop that has to be one of the oldest in the city as well, Dexter Park where Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson, DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg, etc...all played, a historical carousel, and the house Donald Trump's father was raised in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City