Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbf726 View Post
I live in cypress hills, grew up a mile away. Born and raised.

So quick to be insulting on anonymous social media.
I just saw the beginning of the thread and read a little bit of it. Apologies, I mistook you for one of those transplants that had never stepped foot in an area but were the most vocal on their opinions of a neighborhood they planned on moving into. I truly can't stand those people. Regarding CH, it is true that this part of East NY is safer than the other parts but outside of a couple isolated (you could even say stray) hipsters who probably thought they were moving into EASTERN Bushwick... I just don't see that area garnering a lot of attention. Also, regarding the million dollar homes, that was actually factual at one point. I saw this year a couple of listings of Zillow or Trulia for 950 for a 2-family and one that had recently been renovated going for 1.02 or something like that... Taking a look at the listings now though, they seem more in line with what the area of CH should be. Slightly inflated but nothing too dramatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 10:28 AM

80 posts, read 140,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I just saw the beginning of the thread and read a little bit of it. Apologies, I mistook you for one of those transplants that had never stepped foot in an area but were the most vocal on their opinions of a neighborhood they planned on moving into. I truly can't stand those people. Regarding CH, it is true that this part of East NY is safer than the other parts but outside of a couple isolated (you could even say stray) hipsters who probably thought they were moving into EASTERN Bushwick... I just don't see that area garnering a lot of attention. Also, regarding the million dollar homes, that was actually factual at one point. I saw this year a couple of listings of Zillow or Trulia for 950 for a 2-family and one that had recently been renovated going for 1.02 or something like that... Taking a look at the listings now though, they seem more in line with what the area of CH should be. Slightly inflated but nothing too dramatic.
Thanks. I just want to show people respect. Like I said my block is full of kids playing all summer long. Moms, dads, grandparents..this is what the majority is. For sure there is crime and violence but there is also community- that's my point. But I agree I think the area could be on its way to a bit more stability (I hope for the people who are here) but find it hard to imagine it full of transplants. But who knows I thought that of other neighborhoods and was wrong. I can see non New Yorker families buying houses because it's the only affordable area in brooklyn (and maybe queens) left. That night help to strengthen real estate. But agree, speculation is flying and investors want to believe in major change.

I actually saw the listings you mention, I honestly thought they where bait, maybe investors trying get ahead of the hype and inflate the average asking price. But price of 2 family homes has gone up 100/150k in the past 2 years.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I just want to show people respect. Like I said my block is full of kids playing all summer long. Moms, dads, grandparents..this is what the majority is. For sure there is crime and violence but there is also community- that's my point. But I agree I think the area could be on its way to a bit more stability (I hope for the people who are here) but find it hard to imagine it full of transplants. But who knows I thought that of other neighborhoods and was wrong. I can see non New Yorker families buying houses because it's the only affordable area in brooklyn (and maybe queens) left. That night help to strengthen real estate. But agree, speculation is flying and investors want to believe in major change.

I actually saw the listings you mention, I honestly thought they where bait, maybe investors trying get ahead of the hype and inflate the average asking price. But price of 2 family homes has gone up 100/150k in the past 2 years.
Most likely, because pretty much all the 2 family homes in CH proper are in the 450-650K range. Once you hit the shadier side of East NY, you see the numbers go down to around 300-450K range.

So what part of CH did you end up moving to? Glad to hear you like the area. I really like the area by Highland. I mean, you can tell it's the hood, but it's exactly what you said, there's a sense of community there that you don't always see in other neighborhoods. I like the vibe. We used to live on Pitkin ave between Jerome and Barbey but we left in the 90s when the entire area of East NY pretty much bottomed out.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:51 AM

We are by highland. Highland is great, I've lived in many places in the boroughs and didn't get to enjoy many parks. I have seen changes and shifts in the time we have been here. Seems many people are repairing their houses. And there is less parking, a sign that people are moving in. A couple of restaurants opened on Jamaica too but the area is still lacking on that front.

Also I am familiar with most people on my block and close by. Can't say that about other places in nyc I've lived in..

Last edited by Marka; 10-07-2015 at 02:13 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 12:17 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightRabbit View Post
If you have the moment to spare, could you or somebody please post an intersection as examples of both -- the decent looking affordable housing and the (worse looking) low income housing built across empty lots. I'll google the street views. I use C-D to learn about this city, and want to see the aesthetics through your more experienced eyes.
Google Street View the intersection of Pitkin Avenue and Cleveland Street - those buildings that resemble brownstones are some of the best new housing I've seen in a "hood" actually. They should build more exactly like this...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
We are in the Sunnyside Ave area, right by highland. Highland is great, I've lived in many places in the boroughs and didn't get to enjoy many parks. I have seen changes and shifts in the time we have been here. Seems many people are repairing their houses. And there is less parking, a sign that people are moving in. A couple of restaurants opened on Jamaica too but the area is still lacking on that front.

Also I am familiar with most people on my block and close by. Can't say that about other places in nyc I've lived in..
Didn't you live in the Glendale/Ridgewood area? I've been living here since 96' and I'm surprised to hear you say that. Ridgewood was the first neighborhood I felt like we were a part of a community. The Italians, Germans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Blacks, Chinese, etc. there were issues that would pop up every now and then but we all got along for the most part. I knew everybody on the block and other surrounding blocks as well. The neighborhood was as blue-collar authentic and close-knit as you could find. And we'd have block parties in the summertime it seemed like almost every week.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:06 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
59 Sunnyside Avenue, Brooklyn, NY For Sale | Trulia.com

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Didn't you live in the Glendale/Ridgewood area? I've been living here since 96' and I'm surprised to hear you say that. Ridgewood was the first neighborhood I felt like we were a part of a community. The Italians, Germans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Blacks, Chinese, etc. there were issues that would pop up every now and then but we all got along for the most part. I knew everybody on the block and other surrounding blocks as well. The neighborhood was as blue-collar authentic and close-knit as you could find. And we'd have block parties in the summertime it seemed like almost every week.
The area I lived in was mostly Polish, who are great but not always the warmest! but I do agree with you, ridgewood is as integrated as they come in NYC. My family is from there and honestly it's my favorite hood in the city for all the reasons you mentioned. I visit often and my heart breaks every time seeing the influx of transplants and new bars. Not that it's bad but it's just a sign of ridgewood getting increasingly unaffordable and exclusive.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:36 PM

286 posts, read 353,255 times
Quote:
The other numbers are more telling. Back in 2004, NOBODY wanted to move to East NY. Nobody. The houses were probably in the 100-200K range so a 320% increase while notable, isn't surprising given the Brooklyn hype storm that's backing it with you being one of it's biggest cheerleaders. The area is still a craphole and anyone who decides to move there is taking a serious risk at losing money... The way things go now, as soon as you hear of a neighborhood in the times, developers foam at the mouth for property and the homeowners jack up the prices accordingly... But if you're paying 1 million to live in East NY now, do you really think given how the neighborhood currently is that you'll see a significant return on profit 5-10 years down the line?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-075pct.pdf
Overall crime is down but through September 20th - there's been 15 homicides, 56 shootings and 72 victims of gunfire... I think it's leading all precincts in overall homicide this year... Somehow I don't see too many people spending $2 Million to live by Norwood or Alabama... But continue with the hype train, there's enough suckers buying the false hype...
You can't attribute the value rises for ENY to hype, it's only now possibly/hypothetically going to gentrify, who were all the people who moved in before? there's hasn't been empty lots and abandoned houses in years are you going to tell me the working class families that bought the new/rehabbed homes came for the hype? Of course i'm a cheerleader my family stuck it out since the "bad" days so I've seen my neighborhood come a long way, I like my neighbors and this isn't the same neighborhood you left all those years ago.

Claim hype all you want but the economic realities can not be denied, NYC is a very desirable city to live in nowadays and as we see more job growth there will be more demand for neighborhoods near transit. At the rate that downtown Brooklyn & lower Manhattan are growing as jobs hubs of course ENY will become more desirable, it's like a 15-20 minute commute. With the way rents and property value is skyrocketing it's logical you would see profit at the current prices, you can still get a 2 family house for about 450K, each apartment now commands a rent of $1400-1800 a month per unit, within a few years & especially if the rezoning goes through you'll be seeing those rents increase along with the property value. If the houses ever do hit the $1mil range by then most of the current residents will have been priced out/displaced, shops, restaurants and other amenities will have opened up and we will be talking about the possibility of Richmond Hill gentrifying. Professionals (especially families) who make a decent income but can't Bed-Stuy or Crown Heights will naturally look at the next train stop/neighborhood over which is ENY, sure some of the "Brooklyn Brand Hype" will come into play but the economics still affect it.

You need to add a little perspective to those crime stats, ENY crime rates only seem high when compared to the other now VERY low crime areas of NYC. If you were around in the 90's you would now the 106th precinct which covers Ozone Park and Howard Beach were always stable middle class neighborhoods, yet back then when it was a mostly Italian neighborhood they had a homicide rate of 21 in 1993
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...-us-106pct.pdf, thats with a white/middle class/lower population neighborhood, ENY now has a lower homicide rate than that and it has more than twice the population. In 1993 ENY saw 120+ homicides since then the neighborhood has come a long way so give us some credit. No one is saying it's perfect but it is far from the craphole warzone you claim it is.

You are the same type of person that i've heard time and time again since I was young, it used to be no one is moving to the craphole Bowery, then the LES, Williamsburg, Harlem, Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Boerum hill, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, LIC, Astoria, Bushwick the list goes on and on.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:54 PM

286 posts, read 353,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Google Street View the intersection of Pitkin Avenue and Cleveland Street - those buildings that resemble brownstones are some of the best new housing I've seen in a "hood" actually. They should build more exactly like this...
I think if the rezoning goes through the "affordable Housing" that will be built will be more in line with whats been built recently in the Bronx:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8214...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8198...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8198...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City