Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can you tell us a little about what you are familiar with regarding these neighborhoods?
Why is it that some people from NYC feel that the world revolves around them? Things that happen there also happen in other places in this country as well. I have more in common with the average blackman in L.A and NYC than most of you who are not black or latino who actually live in New York. Interesting thing about it is that some of you question me because I do not live there eventhough I can relate to what many of them (black/latinos) go through whenever they are harassed for no reason by overzealous police officers.

I hope that answers your question, and now I want to ask you can you tell us all how it feels to be black/latino and be harrassed/roughed up by a racist police officer under the guise of doing his job for no apparent reason other then you not looking like him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
It doesn't. I asked you about neighborhoods within NYC. What do you know about them and the people who live there?

The world doesn't revolve around me. Quite frankly, I hate this city. But since you don't live here, your excessive posting regarding this issue is the equivalent of an annoying swarm of mosquitos. If you cannot see how your lack of knowledge regarding the places where this "program" is carried out affects your standing in this conversation, then I suggest you sit back for a minute and consider how much more complex the largest city in the country is compared to wherever it is you live.

NYC police officers look a lot more like the communities they serve than people who live hundreds of miles away will ever realize, know, or understand. The simple fact that you ask me how I'd feel if a "racist" cop who "looks different than" stopped me tells me you know little about this city.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
It doesn't. I asked you about neighborhoods. What do you know about them and the people who live there?
Neighborhoods in NYC or poor crime ridden neighborhoods in general? Because if you are there is no difference in them or the people except how they are treated and perceived by the public that avoids them.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It doesn't. I asked you about neighborhoods within NYC. What do you know about them and the people who live there?

The world doesn't revolve around me. Quite frankly, I hate this city. But since you don't live here, your excessive posting regarding this issue is the equivalent of an annoying swarm of mosquitos. If you cannot see how your lack of knowledge regarding the places where this "program" is carried out affects your standing in this conversation, then I suggest you sit back for a minute and consider how much more complex the largest city in the country is compared to wherever it is you live.

Are you Black or Latino? If not how can you are anyone like make judgements like many on CD do about something that you know nothing about? Maybe whites like yourself should stop trying to make suggestions about people that you know very little about except what you hear second hand from someone else.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM

204 posts, read 309,473 times
Um... Heard of the 4th Amendment anyone?

Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 PM

I was in the NYC projects today. When was the last time you were?

And yes, I was very clear: I asked you what you know about NYC neighborhoods. I didn't ask you about neighborhoods "in general" because you're hanging around the NYC forum talking authoritatively about a NYC issue regarding NYC neighborhoods.

So what do you know about NYC?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Um... Heard of the 4th Amendment anyone?
You might want to speak to the Supreme Court about that one. Even Judge Scheindlin didn't hang her decision on the 4th. Terry v. Ohio was pretty clear in finding these types of stops constitutional under the 4th Amendment.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
That may be true but I have been black a hell of alot longer and have been under more scutiny by bias police officers eventhough I never committed a crime. Personally that is not my beef as to who they stop and how many times that they do it but WHAT and HOW they do it in comparison to how they (police) treat others ethnic groups. This is something that is not unique to New York City it is a national trend.
Good to know that as a black man outside of NYC, you still know what it would be like to be of every other ethnicity within NYC city limits. As for myself, being a bi-racial man in NYC, I've been profiled as being of pretty much every race other than white or black.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I was in the NYC projects today. When was the last time you were?

And yes, I was very clear: I asked you what you know about NYC neighborhoods. I didn't ask you about neighborhoods "in general" because you're hanging around the NYC forum talking authoritatively about a NYC issue regarding NYC neighborhoods.

So what do you know about NYC?

I know as much about NYC as you know what it is to be black, so what is your point? If whites can make comments about blacks and latinos why can't I make comments about New York?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Why is it that some people from NYC feel that the world revolves around them? Things that happen there also happen in other places in this country as well. I have more in common with the average blackman in L.A and NYC than most of you who are not black or latino who actually live in New York. Interesting thing about it is that some of you question me because I do not live there eventhough I can relate to what many of them (black/latinos) go through whenever they are harassed for no reason by overzealous police officers.

I hope that answers your question, and now I want to ask you can you tell us all how it feels to be black/latino and be harrassed/roughed up by a racist police officer under the guise of doing his job for no apparent reason other then you not looking like him?
You do not relate to every black or Latino male in America. I guarantee that I have spent much more time in NYC black and hispanic communities then you have. I have many times been the token non-black or non-hispanic guy, making me more of a minority around here than anyone else. I have been profiled for not being black in a black neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City