Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 07:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

That's a hard nut to crack, old boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Crime states among more recent Caribbean and Hispanics can be grim as well. A different sort of grim, but terrible nonetheless. There's a lot of organized prostitution (often forced) that uses recent Hispanic, Caribbean, and Asian immigrants. Pimping and prostitution are definitely in the stats.
Yeah, but we moved off of the topic of crime in general and directed it strictly towards gun violence and homicides.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Yeah, but we moved off of the topic of crime in general and directed it strictly towards gun violence and homicides.
Stop and Frisk, to the extent it catches criminals mainly catches drug dealers.

And obviously if a lady is standing on the corner in high heels all night she's fair game for the cops to stop. Yes, women get stopped and frisked too under those circumstances. It happened quite a bit under Bratton, who is coming back.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm Black. With that said, I do not want random teenagers coming up to me knocking me out. Just because someone Black has an issue with the cops does not mean I automatically defend them. Nor am I going to defend the criminal assaults done by these teenagers.

Its terrible when an innocent person has a problem with the cops. But there certainly needs to be some sort of solution towards the entrenched crime problem in the city, and the entrenched welfare complex that created it.

Just maybe, if you didn't have scummy criminals hide behind race we wouldn't even have stop and frisk to begin with (the NYC version of it). These thugs play on white liberal guilt.

But what about the rights of law abiding citizens not to be victims of crime?
and thats the tragedy.. you think you're immune from stop and frisk if you just dress nice and speak well ?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
and thats the tragedy.. you think you're immune from stop and frisk if you just dress nice and speak well ?
You just wasted this hustle on me. I'm 100% immune from NYC stop and frisk because I am not currently in NYC.

If I were to come back, and if the cops do stop me, then I would just be stopped and I would just answer their questions. I don't carry anything illegal on me, and I certainly wouldn't fall apart because of it.

And by the way, unless I have formal events to go to, I don't dress nice. When I lived in the city I went to the gym and swam regularly, and dressed like it.

At least some of this outrage about stop and frisk is because criminals do get caught sometimes, and of course they are never happy about it. And they'd love to hide behind race.

But you can peddle street racial identity elsewhere, I'm not buying it. I recognize a hustle when I see it.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:05 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
it's probably unfair to associate all different types of Hispanic cultures together under that statistic. They can vary widely in type of location they originated from and many urban hispanic dominated neighborhoods do not have such high homicide rates.
The same could be said, among the already small percentage of white & asian criminals & victims. However, those categories don't subdivide further either, for example among Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos & Indians/Bangladeshis, or Greeks, Irish, Italians, Scandinavians & Eastern Europeans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
it's easier to put everyone into a box than to go through the trouble of making distinctions ... to justify these kind of practices.
The total has already been subdivided into 4 boxes. Perhaps the stats could be chopped further, into ten or 100 boxes, but that will not push numbers out of the 4 defined racial categories, or the male gender. If South Americans are split from Caribbean Latinos, the crime/victimization rates for SAs may drop, while the rates for CAs will climb. If the rates for Jews drop, the rates for remaining whites will also climb, although the entire demographic is low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi_A7 View Post
Couldn't the same thing be said about people Black groups as well then?
Sure. American/Caribbean/African. Again, pushing the numbers one way or another may not help the advocates of at least one of the subcategories.
Quote:
I don't know of any statistic that goes through that amount of research. It's easier to just group people by race and/or ethnicity.
Some would prefer a single category; again, for their own reasons.
Quote:
what good would it do anyway but create more division and animosity amongst some Hispanic groups? For example, I have some Argentinian friends that think rather highly of themselves as if they are better than other Hispanic groups because they have more European ancestry in some cases than say Hispanics from the Caribbean or other parts of Latin America.
That division or animosity already exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
watch the TV show Blue Bloods.
Always good to base an analysis on a TV show.
Quote:
Criminals are more compliant than everyday citizens. Things could get messy and innocent people could get killed.
Really? Another idea from a TV show?
BTW, how often has messy innocent death happened, out of the millions of previous S&Fs?
Quote:
we moved off of the topic of crime in general and directed it strictly towards gun violence and homicides.
Well, that is the stuff that bothers people the most, not shoplifting or credit card fraud.

Last edited by bigjake54; 12-20-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 12-20-2013, 04:45 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
One time is too many. A few innocent men had a bunch of bullets pumped into them. Imagine if it happened to you or someone you love. Innocent people get harrassed all the time because they fit a profile. I have seen it with my own eyes. Criminals come in all shapes and sizes. For those of you that support this, how do we profile criminals who do not fit the discription? They exist more than you think.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
The same could be said, among the already small percentage of white & asian criminals & victims. However, those categories don't subdivide further either, for example among Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos & Indians/Bangladeshis, or Greeks, Irish, Italians, Scandinavians & Eastern Europeans.
But as you even pointed out, those figures would be insignificant for this purpose. Maybe if the discussion was around misrepresentation among government then breaking out the Asian population would make sense as some Asian origins that have a decent amount of citizens might not be represented by government at all. For example, although the typical American might not know the difference, but Chinese and Filipinos really do not have very much in common.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
On gentrification: if landlords want to rent out their property at higher prices, then that's their choice. People who can't afford Manhattan whine about it and say that gentrification is "ruining" cities to which I say "supply & demand, crybabies." If you want to live in an expensive city, then earn your right. Just because not everyone can afford a mansion on the beach does not mean that our society is corrupt.

On stop and frisk: it works! Boo hoo, people who look a certain way are questioned by the police now and again. Well here's the giant white elephant in the room that bleeding hearts don't want to say out loud: the majority of people who commit crime happen to look a certain way/talk a certain way/act a certain way. It's a crime fighting strategy that is proven to work. How weak as a society we've become where people's feelings are more important than providing safety through measures that have been proven to work.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:13 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
One time is too many. A few innocent men had a bunch of bullets pumped into them.
You're conflating unrelated issues. No innocent people have been shot as a result of a stop, question and frisk encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City