Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Anywhere in the country, if someone is driving erratically down the road, at a minimum the cops would stop them. They would definitely check out their driver's license. They might test their breathe for alcohol.

Definitely if the person was drunk or high, they may also search the person or car.

This is a form of stopping and frisk. Its perfectly LEGAL so LONG as there is a reason to do so. And that's something people on both sides forget in these ridiculous arguments.

Now if someone is walking down the street and hasn't done anything to anyone and has not been observed to break or be breaking the law, stopping and frisking that person is unreasonable search and seizure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 PM

268 posts, read 481,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Actually I would not care either as long as its final destination is your house.
I doubt it ever makes it that far, homeboy..

Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In its present form, isn't obviously isn't working that well if 90% of the people stopped have nothing on them. Its why you had the federal lawsuit, and its why de Blasio got elected. Neither the judge nor de Blasio want to end stop and frisk. They want to restrict it and focus it.

If someone has actually committed a crime, is about to commit one, or is in the process of committing one, then they can be stopped and frisked. You constitutionally cannot be stopped and frisked because of your race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, or even because of the way your dress. But you can be stopped and frisked for things such as fare evasion, loitering (standing in front of a building at 3 am in the morning, etc).
90% was on the best year. 82% on the other end (2002).
Stop-and-Frisk Data | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State

Considering the actual locations of where the S&Fs took place, think those racial distributions look right?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:24 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,818,034 times
Of course majority of them are innocent, that's the whole point; to prevent would-be criminals to be doing something illegal or carrying weapons or drugs. They know better than to do that now that S&F is in effect. They should show a statistic that shows S&F "victims" that already have criminal records. Anyone living or acting the ghetto life can expect it.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Of course majority of them are innocent, that's the whole point; to prevent would-be criminals to be doing something illegal or carrying weapons or drugs. They know better than to do that now that S&F is in effect. They should show a statistic that shows S&F "victims" that already have criminal records. Anyone living or acting the ghetto life can expect it.
There's no such thing as a would be criminal. Either you are a criminal or you aren't.

The cops can't just search your house for drugs or weapons. They have to have a warrant, and those are only issued when there's reasonable evidence/suspicion.

Constitutionally, you cannot search someone or someone's property unless there is reasonable suspicion. Looking ghetto or even acting ghetto in and of itself is not reasonable suspicion UNLESS while doing so you are doing or observed to have done something illegal.

Btw, stop and frisk has not eliminated drugs from NYC. Most of the time when drug dealers are caught it happens when someone TURNS them in or sets them up.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
This has to be a lie! Don't you read the other comments, which insist that all young men of color are being S&Fed constantly on the streets of NYC, for no other reason than their race!
SeriouslyII haven't. Its the way how you carry yourself that cops will randomly stop you. I even been to ENY and back and never stopped and frisk. Walked through nice quaint neighborhoods in Midwood and again never been stop and frisked. I wear hoodies covering half of my face sometimes and again never stoped and frisked by authorities. Hell I even know whites who have been stopped and frisk just because they were in the wrong neighborhoods and cops assume these folks were buying drugs. That's what happens when persons dress ghetto.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
SeriouslyII haven't. Its the way how you carry yourself that cops will randomly stop you. I even been to ENY and back and never stopped and frisk. Walked through nice quaint neighborhoods in Midwood and again never been stop and frisked. I wear hoodies covering half of my face sometimes and again never stoped and frisked by authorities. Hell I even know whites who have been stopped and frisk just because they were in the wrong neighborhoods and cops assume these folks were buying drugs. That's what happens when persons dress ghetto.
Cops also observe your activities. Can you be found hanging out here and there in the streets at all hours? That makes it much more likely that cops will stop you. I always just went to wherever I had to go and did whatever I needed too. I never stood around on the street corner. If you hang out like that all the cops will get to know you.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Well since some of you believe that this is such a good idea, can you explain this?

Black students arrested while waiting for school bus — RT USA

Rather you believe that it deters crime or not, you should also acknowledge the abuses that can come from it from A.H/racist cops.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,408,600 times
Elf a stop and frisk and gentrification. You're all hoes for the babylon system.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,243,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
An RT link? Really?
What does a single incident in Rochester, have to do with S&F in NYC?
Further, there is no suggestion in the article, that the situation has anything to do with S&F. There had been complaints about the location, the officer (rightly or wrongly) told the assemblage to move, they didn't, and were arrested. He wasn't suspecting them of a crime, he didn't stop them (they were already stopped) and did not frisk anyone.
I realize that there are more windmills out there, to concern you, but please stop telling us about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City