Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM

335 posts, read 747,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1221 View Post
Thats right most of us took big pay cuts, but for all the right reasons, job security 20 year pension health benifits out the yazoo and stability. The pay does get a lot better.

As far as the NYPD raise, we will not be far behind when the time comes. Also keep in mind base pay does not factor in night diff and your last two hours on saturday are time and a half (aka O/T). You will make sundays and if your chart falls on a holiday you make comp hours. As well as if you have the op to go out of town.
Yeah, Sanitation Worker's contract is loaded with Incentives. I have an sheet in my office that shows the break down of the Incentives and how much each gets for doing it.

I am not even an Sanitation Worker yet but I deal with them alot and they get paid well. Esp when snow comes.

Its true what Kuai said about there is a clause in our contract that if other uniformed city agencies get a significant raise that we can open up the bargaining tables. I was told that on friday.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:12 PM

20 posts, read 116,277 times
Quote:
I am starting a job with the Town of Hempstead sanitation this coming week, while I'm appealing my case with the city about the seizure disorder that i don't have. I'll let you know all the details when I get there and find them out. I got the job through a political connection, but I still would rather have the job with the City, for the 20 years and out mainly. I'll keep you updated.
Thanx alot the info is much appreciated. I have a freind who's father worked for TOH sanitation. Not sure if they have a 20yr retirement program.
Best of luck with your appeal.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM

20 posts, read 116,277 times
My neighbor worked briefly for a private carting co. I beleive it was Meadow. Any info on there pay scale. Im figuring 20-40k.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM

364 posts, read 739,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuai View Post
They won't lose their years as far as retirement goes but they will be going to the starting salary of nypd if they switch. I highly doubt that people will leave sanitation to go to nypd...its unheard of. I know lots of people who were former cops that have switched to sanitation and some guys who are sanitation going over to fdny but thats all. There is no job like sanitation. NYPD and DSNY are two completely different jobs. Yea we pick up trash, but at least the trash we pick up don't talk back and won't file a complaint against us or shoot at us. The great thing about this job is that you don't take it home with you (unless you find something good lol.) You do your job and then you go home.

I have heard word that negotiation for a new contract has already started between the union and the city since there is a clause in our contract that if other uniformed city agencies get a significant raise that we can open up the bargaining tables.

But keep your hopes up anyways, just don't expect people to leave sanitation for nypd because of the raise they got. We will get a similar raise soon.
You definately have not got your first 311 complaint, or gone to department trialsyet. Actually DSNY takes more money and suspends it workers at a higher rate than any city agency other than maybe Transit. You will find out soon enough.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1221 View Post
Thats right most of us took big pay cuts, but for all the right reasons, job security 20 year pension health benifits out the yazoo and stability. The pay does get a lot better.

As far as the NYPD raise, we will not be far behind when the time comes. Also keep in mind base pay does not factor in night diff and your last two hours on saturday are time and a half (aka O/T). You will make sundays and if your chart falls on a holiday you make comp hours. As well as if you have the op to go out of town.
Neither does NYPD's base pay.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:01 PM

246 posts, read 593,543 times
Quote:
They won't lose their years as far as retirement goes but they will be going to the starting salary of nypd if they switch. I highly doubt that people will leave sanitation to go to nypd...its unheard of. I know lots of people who were former cops that have switched to sanitation and some guys who are sanitation going over to fdny but thats all. There is no job like sanitation. NYPD and DSNY are two completely different jobs. Yea we pick up trash, but at least the trash we pick up don't talk back and won't file a complaint against us or shoot at us. The great thing about this job is that you don't take it home with you (unless you find something good lol.) You do your job and then you go home.

I have heard word that negotiation for a new contract has already started between the union and the city since there is a clause in our contract that if other uniformed city agencies get a significant raise that we can open up the bargaining tables.

But keep your hopes up anyways, just don't expect people to leave sanitation for nypd because of the raise they got. We will get a similar raise soon.
Yes our contract now a clause in it to go back to the barganing table but 831 will not and is not going to use it.We will sit patiently and wait until it's our turn for a new contract.
As for the trash not talking back to you just wait awhile it will LOL.and trust me you will get enough 311 complaints in your life time you will get them even when you don't do anything wrong .

Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM

246 posts, read 593,543 times
Quote:
You heard wrong. It is not true. It actually goes by the last 5 digits of your social not the last 4.
When I came on it used to be the date post marked on your application .

Old 08-24-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
When I came on it used to be the date post marked on your application .
Same here.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:28 PM

oh and when you guys finally get your wish and it does snow. You will be the same guys after 10 straight days of working 7pm to 7am, and you finally think your going to get to go home at 3am they force you for the next 4 days to work the ot even if you dont want it. Watch it will happen, and all the senior guys who stay out and do not dump during snow collection will go home and make you new guys do the relays on forced overtime. No matter what you say that you want the ot now 98% will not want it at 3am in the morning

Old 08-24-2008, 04:39 PM

335 posts, read 747,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offwing View Post
Yes our contract now a clause in it to go back to the barganing table but 831 will not and is not going to use it.We will sit patiently and wait until it's our turn for a new contract.
Just curious, why not? Some people I know said they expect 831 to "whin and moan " like any other union other there when they feel they are being left out or should be paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City