Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 04:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times

Advertisements

I just don't think Fordham is scary. It has problems but there are much worse areas in the city. Where you fear for your life. That's why I say so-so. Some of you want everyone to agree with your limited views. Sorry that's not gonna happen.

Are we gonna have to break down ghetto versus really ghetto again.

The fact that we talk about Mott Haven, Harlem, Wash. Heights, and Fordham so much shows to me that these areas are indeed improving. The really ****ty areas people don't even talk about. People have lost hope in them.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 12-13-2007 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I also felt that Fordham was a so-so area. Neither bad nor good. There are probably worst areas to talk about.
worse areas like?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I just don't think Fordham is scary. It has problems but there are much worse areas in the city. Where you fear for your life. That's why I say so-so. Some of you want everyone to agree with your limited views. Sorry that's not gonna happen.

Are we gonna have to break down ghetto versus really ghetto again.

The fact that we talk about Mott Haven, Harlem, Wash. Heights, and Fordham so much shows to me that these areas are indeed improving. The really ****ty areas people don't even talk about. People have lost hope in them.
yeah but u talking about a hood that u probably used to going to...imagine if u never been to fordham for the 1st time and u went there honestly u dont think u would feel a little intimidated?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Seventh I would like my biscuit with some gravy. Yum! Its best to walk the beat and not just check websites...they are typically out of sync with reality.

This building will not "save" Fordham, nor solves the social ills anymore than planting a tree..but they are all steps in a process! Baby steps!
alright let me ask u a question....

take williamsburg brooklyn for example...as late as about 1997, this was 1 of the worst stops to get off on the L train. the drug scene was equivalent to fordham over there.....10 years later, williamsburg doesnt have a development like this, and the majority of the city cant even afford to live there....so i consider fordham plaza a very tiny baby step.....fordham always had retail so i dont see the difference. so whats the real improvement?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 PM

216 posts, read 993,015 times
those pics of the new housing is the trend in the bronx, a place to live in the ghetto for the low income. they r the projects on a smaller scale. at least ppl have a roof ova there head instead of on the street, but if u think the problems that exist in the area r goin away because of these new 'developments'....is wishful thinkin to the max.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
yeah but u talking about a hood that u probably used to going to...imagine if u never been to fordham for the 1st time and u went there honestly u dont think u would feel a little intimidated?
I honestly had little experience with Fordham before I moved there. I really hadn't been in the area since the mid 90's. I actually remember feeling a lot more intimidated then.

It can definitely be intimidating. I'll be the first to admit that there are blocks in Fordham I never step a foot on, and would have never moved to. And it's not so much danger wise, it's just they are ghetto blocks. A lot of knuckleheads, open drug activity, bored kids acting stupid. It's just a negative environment. I've lucked out in that I've lived a nice chunk of my life in marginal nabes but on decent blocks and nice buildings. Again luck.

But there are much more intimidating places (do I really need to list them now, come on).

Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
those pics of the new housing is the trend in the bronx, a place to live in the ghetto for the low income. they r the projects on a smaller scale. at least ppl have a roof ova there head instead of on the street, but if u think the problems that exist in the area r goin away because of these new 'developments'....is wishful thinkin to the max.
A lot of the people moving into those type of developments are decent, hard working people. Those aren't projects. We've had other threads about the fedders boxes. Not that I'm saying all people in the projects are bad, because that's not true either.

Those people are working hard to stay here in NYC and provide a better future for their kids. From my experience those type of homes really have not attracted the type of people you mention in your posts. I think you are being unfair and stereotyping.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 PM

242 posts, read 927,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
alright let me ask u a question....

take williamsburg brooklyn for example...as late as about 1997, this was 1 of the worst stops to get off on the L train. the drug scene was equivalent to fordham over there.....10 years later, williamsburg doesnt have a development like this, and the majority of the city cant even afford to live there....so i consider fordham plaza a very tiny baby step.....fordham always had retail so i dont see the difference. so whats the real improvement?
There's a HUUUGGGGEEEE difference between williamsburg (and the whole of Brooklyn North) and the Bronx. Namely access to manhattan (money commercial areas not Harlem, Wash Heights and Inwood). Bedford Ave. is the 3rd stop from Union Square which is 4 stops from Wall Street by express train and one stop from Grand Central by express train.

Fordham Road is much further from the comercial hubs. Mott Haven is closer but the area is lacking in basic services. For example this weeks daily news did a full page article on a smoothie shop that opened because it was the first place in the area that served healthy food, smoothie shops don't make the news in better neighborhoods.

The other thing about Williamsburg it is diverse, which made allowed people of all races to move in without feeling terribly out of place. Fordham Rd. and Mott Haven are not. Maybe the hispanic and black middle class will turn these areas around? My guess is there just like every other group, once they start families there going to the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Some people aren't even from the area! What's the point of coming on here just to dump on an area. Did someone from the Bronx take your girl or something. LMAO.
My theory is that the put-downs make people feel better about their own living situations. Maybe dumping somewhere else makes your own s***** neighborhood seem a little less s*****, or maybe it makes them feel better about their tiny apartment, s***** commute, or the fact that they have to get into their car even to buy a roll of toilet paper, or that there's nothing even remotely interesting within a 20 mile radius of their house.

The fact that Fordham can create such interest from people who have no vested interest is something positive in and of itself. Who would imagined the fascination that it inspires from the public.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:09 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,619 times
In terms of access, Fordham is pretty good. The metro north gets into Grand Central in less than 20 minutes. Two subway lines get people into Manhattan faster than a lot of other outer boro hoods. Two universities close by, tourist attractions like the Botqnical Gardens, Zoo, Little Italy within walking ditance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City