Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Meanwhile, the mayor started body cameras on cops Friday, while the governor has said that there will need to be special prosecutors to prosecute cops because DAs are close allies of cops who don't like to prosecute police officers. These are major political concessions. George Bush, O'Reilly and other Fox staffers, and other conservatives have condemned the Staten Island grand jury since the protests have come out.

So they've had major political impact in just a few days. It sure does beat incessant griping on City Data where at best 100 people will read what you've written.
The Grand Jury decision was condemned by all of the above long before the clowns put down their mocha, locha, frappe, whipped, grande verdi and went out and had their little protests. (Isn't it funny how they're not out there in the real cold or rainy weather??? I didn't see ANY protests at all yesterday and I was all over the place running errands and doing things. Not one protester in the rain!)

The body camera thing was already in the works long before Eric Garner or Michael Brown. How do you think they got them so fast?? The didn't order them last week. They've been discussing this for quite some time and are finally implementing it. The jerkoffs laying down on the floor in Macys didn't make the NYPD implement body cameras.

Oh, and just to let you know, the body cameras aren't constantly on. The cop has to push a button to turn it on. That gives the cop the choice to leave it off if he's doing something he shouldn't be doing.

Of course there should be special prosecutors. That has been going on for decades in certain cases. Again, nothing new. There have been cases where cops were investigated and prosecuted by "special prosecutors". The only difference now is that the governor is admitting to something that we've all known all along. That doesn't mean it's going to happen across the board. It only means the governor finally admitted to the shadiness of it all and said "there needs to be" not "there WILL be". BTW, Gov. Cuomo is a very liberal governor and would have leaned this way, protestors or not.

These clowns who are out there laying down in the middle of stores and annoying customers haven't had any "major political impact" on anything.

If they want to have a strong presence, they should hold a rally at city hall or the NYPD headquarters with speakers and everything else. Laying down in Macys, walking around Times Square or Rockefeller Center isn't going to do anything but annoy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 01:13 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
Why don't they go to Central Park, hold candles (or light cigarettes) and then email their government officials to change the system.
Or volunteer en masse at homeless shelters or food kitchens?
Positive actions will promote more change than disrupting holiday shoppers....

Old 12-07-2014, 02:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The Grand Jury decision was condemned by all of the above long before the clowns put down their mocha, locha, frappe, whipped, grande verdi and went out and had their little protests. (Isn't it funny how they're not out there in the real cold or rainy weather??? I didn't see ANY protests at all yesterday and I was all over the place running errands and doing things. Not one protester in the rain!)

The body camera thing was already in the works long before Eric Garner or Michael Brown. How do you think they got them so fast?? The didn't order them last week. They've been discussing this for quite some time and are finally implementing it. The jerkoffs laying down on the floor in Macys didn't make the NYPD implement body cameras.

Oh, and just to let you know, the body cameras aren't constantly on. The cop has to push a button to turn it on. That gives the cop the choice to leave it off if he's doing something he shouldn't be doing.

Of course there should be special prosecutors. That has been going on for decades in certain cases. Again, nothing new. There have been cases where cops were investigated and prosecuted by "special prosecutors". The only difference now is that the governor is admitting to something that we've all known all along. That doesn't mean it's going to happen across the board. It only means the governor finally admitted to the shadiness of it all and said "there needs to be" not "there WILL be". BTW, Gov. Cuomo is a very liberal governor and would have leaned this way, protestors or not.

These clowns who are out there laying down in the middle of stores and annoying customers haven't had any "major political impact" on anything.

If they want to have a strong presence, they should hold a rally at city hall or the NYPD headquarters with speakers and everything else. Laying down in Macys, walking around Times Square or Rockefeller Center isn't going to do anything but annoy people.
All movements annoy people, or else they are not doing their jobs.

Oh, but the protests clearly have had major effect because people are talking about them nationwide, including politicians. You truly have no effect with NOBODY talks about you (like most of the people on this forum, nobody talks about them because there is nothing to talk about).

Cuomo would not have admitted this if protesters had not come out. Politicians are swayed by public opinion, and obviously if things are going well among your constituents you do not have people shutting down highways or tunnels (the protesters shut them down next week).

In terms of going after those other targets, well let's just say there are a lot of protests next week. This won't go away, because there are several other cases coming forward.

Btw, the civil rights movement, women's rights movement, and gay rights movement all annoyed substantial parts of the public at the time. Yet these rights and certain changes that occurred since are now standard and not even thought of.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Why don't they go to Central Park, hold candles (or light cigarettes) and then email their government officials to change the system.
It's cold outside, Macy's has heating.

Most people participating are doing so out of anger or boredom, not to strategically effect change.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:17 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
All movements annoy people, or else they are not doing their jobs.
Without incessant media coverage, few would know of the protests. Sometimes, I think that there are more reporters and camera crews out there, than protestors. Many of those media people are self-appointed, as well.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:23 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I was at Macy's Herald Square last night. (actually, I was all over Midtown) I don't think the protestors are affecting business. The place was nuts. And everyone here tried to discourage me from going into the city because of the protests. But to heck with that, I love the city, and these protestors don't seem violent. So, I will continue to go in as often as I can.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:00 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
This is getting out of hand. I really think this will build more animosity instead of helping the protesters. I have stated, and still believe, this is just genereal unhappiness rearing its ugly head. it's not just about police brutality.

This isn't just about Michael Brown or even more convincingly Garner who in no way was threatening NYPD.

This is about a man like Eric Holder WHO AS A FEDERAL PROSECUTOR, was humiliated by police men when they had no probable cause. And there are many who can say the same, including that black woman who was beaten up by the cops in front of her kids on a lonely highway. No what does she tell her kids.......that the cops are there to protect them?

As they say white folks don't get it, and I don't have the time t explain it as you will NEVER get it.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Btw, the civil rights movement, women's rights movement, and gay rights movement all annoyed substantial parts of the public at the time. Yet these rights and certain changes that occurred since are now standard and not even thought of.

And they all used PEACEFUL protest to advance their case.

This has to be seen as different from lawless rioting which most people in Ferguson, including most protestors, are NOT in favor of. It destroys neighborhoods and achieves nothing more.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The Ferguson riots happened because the police on the scene were disorganized and the political leadership lacked the balls to stand up to the rioters. Back when Giuliani (or even Bloomberg) were running NYC, neither of these would have been a problem. Now that Bla is running city, I think it is. Looking at how the police are now handling these protests, it appear like, at least at the political level, the inmates are running the asylum.

The leadership of Ferguson is very much of the Giuliani model using a military strategy to deal with protestors when that was in a peaceful phase and trying their best to provoke violence. They were hugely successful in this.

Now tell us what Giuliani would have done that the mayor of Ferguson didn't do? Fire live rounds, because that is about the only thing that wasn't done in Ferguson? Even Rand Paul has other GOP leaders complained about the insensitivity in how Ferguson was handled, and these cannot be called bleeding heart liberals.

Now contrast that with peace in NYC when he have had TWO incidence of police killings of innocent black men which could have really provoked a violent reaction had it been mishandled.

I suspect that you admire Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler

Old 12-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post

Politicians respond when they are embarrassed. Examine what MLK did. Conducted marches into business areas and used economic boycotts to achieve his goals.

If the people of Montgomery marched into a park with candles there would still be "white only" signs in the Jim Crow South.

The shelters need FOOD, not more volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City