Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Of course, if the cops bring the city to it's knees how do the cops get paid? Do this kind of damage to the city, if wealthy people and money flees how do the cop think they are going to get paid if they screw over New York's tax base?

So I sincerely hope the police union isn't this stupid.
Come on dude, where do the rich people live at?? The hood/sketchy areas or the well-maintained areas?? The tourist and well-off areas will not be affected only their counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthadoll View Post
b*i*n*g*o

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Sure makes me miss Guiliani and Bloomberg. Deblasio panders to the worst instincts and prejudices of the street mobs.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:11 PM

136 posts, read 106,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaDoll View Post
Cry us a river Samantha, keep using that crutch that "Whitey" is keeping you down

Old 12-21-2014, 01:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Come on dude, where do the rich people live at?? The hood/sketchy areas or the well-maintained areas?? The tourist and well-off areas will not be affected only their counterparts.
Last I checked, it only costs $2.50 to take a subway ride. Of course hoodlums can take public transportation to rich areas or touristy areas. Or in some cases they can walk from the ghetto to rich areas. Harlem still has bad parts, and they can walk from Harlem to the UWS or the UES.

Clearly Bedstuy and Bushwick have bad parts, they can walk from those neighborhoods to Williamsburg and Greenpoint. The LES still has bad parts, they can walk from those to NOHO, SOHO, West Village, Gramercy, and Chelsea.

So if the cops don't do their jobs, I hope they are happy with destroying the economic base of the city and making tourists and wealthy people feel unsafe.

By the way, many of the hood areas are gentrifying and as they do so, a lot more real estate taxes are paid to the city. It's in the cops best interest to keep these areas safe, because they do not want to hurt the city's budget as they are city employees.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
People might want to start second guessing those rowhouses and condos within walking to the PJs.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Last I checked, it only costs $2.50 to take a subway ride. Of course hoodlums can take public transportation to rich areas or touristy areas. Or in some cases they can walk from the ghetto to rich areas. Harlem still has bad parts, and they can walk from Harlem to the UWS or the UES.

Clearly Bedstuy and Bushwick have bad parts, they can walk from those neighborhoods to Williamsburg and Greenpoint. The LES still has bad parts, they can walk from those to NOHO, SOHO, West Village, Gramercy, and Chelsea.

So if the cops don't do their jobs, I hope they are happy with destroying the economic base of the city and making tourists and wealthy people feel unsafe.

By the way, many of the hood areas are gentrifying and as they do so, a lot more real estate taxes are paid to the city. It's in the cops best interest to keep these areas safe, because they do not want to hurt the city's budget as they are city employees.
what makes you believe that cops will stop protecting the tourist and rich areas? Cops are not dumb. They will probably stop protecting the counter-parts.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:24 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
If the cops wanted to they could bring the city to its knees within hours. They could take an extra 10 minutes on every job. They could take a report for every incident. They could take forever at central booking. They could go sick for every cough. They could follow the patrol guide to a tee. They could do a car stop for 30 minutes and then use their discretion and let the motorist go without a ticket. They could have thousands of jobs backed up. The city would be in chaos and it would all be legit and no matter how much you complained there would be nothing that could be done to the cops. But don't worry I was a cop for over twenty years and never once did the cops do anything like this. But they could, Next time you go hating on a cop remember what would things be like without them!!!!!!
Then I say go ahead. Let them do whatever it is they're threatening to do in your words. Put action behind the bravado instead of a threat with open ended language and praying that the public will bite. You honestly think Forest Hills, Astoria, Kew Gardens and Bay Ridge will go down the drain because they take an extra 10 minutes to do their job? Perhaps Vornado will stop that new condo they are building in Rego Park? Do you think a lot of people here are stupid enough to believe that?

Quote:
Of course, if the cops bring the city to it's knees how do the cops get paid? Do this kind of damage to the city, if wealthy people and money flees how do the cop think they are going to get paid if they screw over New York's tax base?

So I sincerely hope the police union isn't this stupid.
They're not stupid but maybe they think the public is. Notice the union phrased its language and conducted its antics carefully - by not saying they won't do their jobs (only they they will do "what is necessary", as if anything of importance will be missed), and aiming their disrespect at de Blasio instead of the general public who are the ones that really have a negative view of the police.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
If cops had been doing "Only what is necessary" and not hassling citizens all along, I doubt this would have happened.

RIP.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Then I say go ahead. Let them do whatever it is they're threatening to do in your words. Put action behind the bravado instead of ending it with a threat and praying that the public will bite. You honestly think Forest Hills, Astoria, Kew Gardens and Bay Ridge will go down the drain because they take an extra 10 minutes to do their job? Perhaps Vornado will stop that new condo they are building in Rego Park? Do you think a lot of people here are stupid enough to believe that?
Like I said they wont do it. If they wanted to they could turn the city and quiet pcts included into a complete mess. People here aren't stupid. Unlike you I actually went out on patrol and I know what could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City