Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 PM

898 posts, read 1,221,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Persons using student Metro Cards receive tickets all the time. Things like using one on a school holiday or after hours, not using it to get to and from school/approved purpose, that sort of thing.

The process is pretty straight forward but I'd bring your parent if possible.

You arrive, tell the clerk/whomever you are there and then sit and wait to be called. Once called the judge will ask you basically "guilty" or "not guilty" and or for you to explain. Here you should just say that you've told us: that the bus was crowded and you were late for school but couldn't get on the front and feared missing... So you went for the back door but since you had your metro card was going to find away to make it to the front and pay once on board.

Since this is your first time there is a good chance the thing *may* be dismissed.

How old are you anyway?
this logic makes no sense. if you got on the back of the bus, HOW would that help you get to school faster than getting on in the front?? the bus STILL has to load the entire front passenger load before it can move. i assume you will argue that the bus would eventually leave the rest of the people in the front behind and move on but then the judge can argue that you should wake up earlier or (not a good a idea) scramble to the front of the line by cutting or asking passengers if you can skip them so you can actually get on.

your argument states that it is the fault of the bus scheduler/mta for not running enough buses to meet the rider load so you used the rear exit. that won't hold water with a strict judge. if i were a judge, i would explain this to you but still would drop your ticket because you are still a child and learning about the world. you can't go through life thinking like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,025 times
If he has a pass that pays the fare it's irrelevant.

There is no money lost. The judge may see the rules but the time/cost aren't worth enforcing.

The system of fare collection / enforcement are often more expensive than the revenue brought in by the MTA.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:27 AM

25,393 posts, read 37,147,769 times
Pay the fine.

You get free rides. For that privilege is it too much to ask that you abide by bus rules?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If he has a pass that pays the fare it's irrelevant.

There is no money lost. The judge may see the rules but the time/cost aren't worth enforcing.

The system of fare collection / enforcement are often more expensive than the revenue brought in by the MTA.
no it isn't because he can continue to jump turnstiles and get on back door exits on buses by saying he has a pass. then when he needs to use the metrocard or if he wants to give it to someone else, it's like a real free ride. it's like saying if i have money, i can jump the turnstile and get on back of the bus, because i was simply going to pay for it anyway but...just didn't happen to do so.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
no it isn't because he can continue to jump turnstiles and get on back door exits on buses by saying he has a pass. then when he needs to use the metrocard or if he wants to give it to someone else, it's like a real free ride. it's like saying if i have money, i can jump the turnstile and get on back of the bus, because i was simply going to pay for it anyway but...just didn't happen to do so.
So a high school student should be late to school or assessed a $75 fine for a service he/she receives for free anyway?

There are an unlimited amount of rides on a student metrocard, but they can only be used by students (they alert attendants when used) and can only be used during certain school hours of the day. It's not at all like jumping the turnstiles and not paying fare. It's more like walking through the emergency exit door when you have an unlimited metrocard, because a dozen people are jamming the turnstiles and you can't afford to miss the train.

We all know it's wrong to do- but no one is being victimized.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,818,033 times
I don't get the purpose of student Metrocards? Shouldn't the parents have to pay for their offspring's transportation?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
Excuse me, but I have to ask: What kind of bus was this? Was this an ordinary city bus, like the M4? Because I've never heard of this happening.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I don't get the purpose of student Metrocards? Shouldn't the parents have to pay for their offspring's transportation?
no. the gubmint is responsible for raising said children and providing them with role models and possible fathers to mostly black kids. the rest of the temper tantrum throwers get a free pass by protection from the law. touch your kid and to jail you go.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
So a high school student should be late to school or assessed a $75 fine for a service he/she receives for free anyway?

There are an unlimited amount of rides on a student metrocard, but they can only be used by students (they alert attendants when used) and can only be used during certain school hours of the day. It's not at all like jumping the turnstiles and not paying fare. It's more like walking through the emergency exit door when you have an unlimited metrocard, because a dozen people are jamming the turnstiles and you can't afford to miss the train.

We all know it's wrong to do- but no one is being victimized.
nope. if you go through that emergency gate and have an unlimited, the cop will ticket you. you broke the law. doesn't matter if the turnstiles were packed. you possibly could only use that gate if someone or a pitbull was chasing you and the cop would see a possible crime about to happen.

from what i know, there are NOT an unlimited amount of rides a student can use. i believe it is 3 rides per day on a school day only.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,386,160 times
Okay squirt here is the deal. The international standards of gingerification is coming to the United States. Basically officers, public, and federal employees are being pushed to raise standards in work ethics. Partly because everybody is too much of an coward to fight these standards. ( like in school the passing grade was 55% but changed to 65% in the mid-1990's and was forward to 75%. Getting closer to the college standard of grading, crippling the workforce and derailing kids from prosperity ). We have an bunch of baby making workaholics
who are too occupied and coward to fight the laws.

They picked on you; on purpose to get points on their jobs. That is all. Officers ( Beggars are hungry not to lose their J-O-B. It is made to make people aware of "current changes" to the law. Basically part of Manhattan-fication of the entire United States.

I will be honest. Back then when I was worshiping the bus lines to get to horrid school. I and every other student would do the same thing. They would get on whichever way possible on the bus itself. The driver ( being an coward not to get scolded, if not already ) sometimes would not move the bus unless the people would pay to go on the bus itself. Bottom-line times have changed since 2001 and the dickless ( patriot-act ) and anti-melting pot laws of then.

17 is the "non-private" age of consent in this area of the US. Meaning they attempt to class you as an 71 year old adult. You might not have other dead-man-walking privileges but being the hungry beggars not to lose their jobs they will ticket you.

This way you not only get robbed of two fairs but the driver can be scolded for not getting up and telling the people to "move in" or "step back". A driver can stop the bus to make room and you as an customer can complain in groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City