Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 08:59 PM

289 posts, read 746,162 times

Advertisements

Sanitation Worker's Work Hard Everyday ,every Union Get's What They Can For There Member's Local 831 Does Just That I Have Family And Friend's On P.d. And F.d. I Respect All Of Them For The Job They Do .it's Sound's Like You Have A Problem With Sanitation Worker's ....

Old 04-05-2008, 09:36 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
I think some of the complaints about having to work over-time are a bit much.

The days of the 40 hour work-week are pretty much over except for those in unions or low-level service or clerical workers.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 AM

196 posts, read 425,729 times
Police jobs sucks they don't need anymore money some of them just ride around in there little scooters all day given people tickets if you joined the police just to give tickets you should have been a meter maid. to all the police officers crying about pay join the nyc sanitation it's the best job an pays more that why there called NY strongest

Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
I'm not sure what starting salary is for NYPD, but I'm sure it's more than FDNY. Most police officers make more than firefighters. I have a chance to work with FDNY EMS, which would have only been until I could get on FDNY. I turned it down because starting salary is $27,000. I'd be coming from Milwaukee, WI. It would be literally impossible to live on that salary. I'd like the job, but I really don't think I could survive.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what starting salary is for NYPD, but I'm sure it's more than FDNY.
Actually, at the moment the FDNY starting salary is over $30k compared to the $25k the police start at ... not sure what the exact number. This is because the FDNY union settled their contract last year and the NYPD union is still in arbitration. But when it is all said & done, the salary will be the same. It has always been the same because of a labor negotiation tactic called "parity". The FD & the PD have been on pay parity for decades and the other uniformed services have basically been on a prorated salary compared on what the FD & PD make. This has been thrown into some turmoil in the last round of negotiations but many of the unions have a "me too clause" and can argue that if the NYPD gets a significant pay raise in arbitration they should get a similar raise as well.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:44 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,488 times
The only way for the PD to get the raise they deserve is for crime to come back in a BIG way. When the yuppies start to get their throats cut on the streets and raped in central park like the old days, the city will have to rasie the starting and, more importantly, the top pay of police officers in the city. City cops put up with massive BS from bosses demanding higher summons quatas to poverty pimps like sharpton and barron. The nypd deserves TOP pay.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Nobody DESERVES anything....it should be earned. And yes I think the NYPD earns the money they make....and it would be great if they earned more money...do they DESERVE more? I think we ALL DESERVE more.....

Baylover....I did not see a response from you other than "I am so way off base." Please elaborate how my comments about salary, benefits, perks etc was way off base?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
For Guy:

- What other profession will provide you with 1st year earning potential of $45K With a starting salary of $25k and being in the police academy for the first six months, how is one to make $45k in the first year?,

- lifetime medical care for you AND your family (yes this is good benefit), a fat pension (yes, after working 500 hours overtime a year), job security as in you basically can never get fired even if you kill someone, and if you do kill someone, you will get fired but keep your pension!!!! You are contradicting yourself in a big way here... which is it? You kill and can't get fired or kill, get fired & keep your pension? In either case you are WRONG AGAIN! Cops have to live by the same laws as everyone else. They are issued weapons to protect you and themselves from dangerous people. Sometimes it may lead to a person's death. Most of the time it is classified as a justifailble homicide. Sometimes an officer will get indicted... as in the case of the ongoing trial in the death of Sean Bell. Now, the court system will determine if the shooting was justified. If the cops are found guilty they will go to JAIL & LOSE their pension. Pensions are not gauranteed.... especially if you are convicted of a crime. That is the main reason cops retire after their twenty years, those who stay are playing what is often called "pension roulette". Sorry, no license to kill is issued upon getting the badge.

- Let's not forget all the other perks like preferential treatment for all kinds of housing/loans, Huh? Where is that... ohh, right. If you are willing to live in the worst projects and raise your family there, then you can be part of the "Officer Next Door Program". That's a real perk!

- and the priviledges that come with the profession: driving through traffic, eating red lights at will, parking wherever for however long you please...etc. Is that with lights and sirens blaring while responding to a man with a gun call or shots fired? I will admit that I have been pulled over for speeding a few times and was given professional courtesy and given a warning. However, courtesy does not begin & end with the police. I have given courtesy to many, many people who were not cops. These were hard working people who made an error and I felt a warning was more appropriate that a summons & a fine. Show respect & get respect. Unfortunately, the pressure is on the rank & file to produce more summonses & revenue taking the officer's discretion away.

- All of this with an abysmal public school education (Some of us went to private schools & received a good education thanks to mom & dad.) and an equally abysmal 2 year AA degree from community college ....sounds pretty darn good to me!

Your narrowmindedness is astounding and your attitude towards the police as being big, dopey neaderthals is disconcerting and troublesome... particularly since they are entrusted to enforce the laws of the state and protect life and property while placing their own life in harm's way. Once again, I will state that you have no idea what a cop does or how one thinks. It is not always about the benefits the job provides but rather how they can do their job well and benefit the city they serve. Good day, sir.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Thanks for the response...that's what I was looking for. Here are my responses:

-The stats of 1st year potential of $45k is from the city and the dept..not me. If you don't/choose not to believe it you should take it up with them.
-As for getting fired but keeping your pension...what you will find in MOST cases, except for the most egregious, is that cops please down, as do many other criminals, and as a "reward" for pleading guilty to lesser crimes, they get to keep their pension as part of the deal. Don't believe me? Do your homework and see how many cops that are fired ALSO lose their pension....it is rare indeed.
-If you think everytime a cop goes through a red light or through traffic with his lights on, or as I typically see them, with their lights OFF, and if you believe that whenever they are parked wherever they are it is because they are on "call"....I have a bridge to sell you. The fact remains they are free to eat red lights at will, stop signs, break every other driving rule, and park wherever they want in the manner that suits them because they can and there are no repercussions. That IS a perk.
-I do not doubt that SOME in the police force are highly educated, private school-elite professionals with stellar experience....I also don't doubt that there are highly educated private school elite professionals with stellar experience living in Mott Haven...but that would not be representative of the Mott Haven population anymore than it would be representative of the current Police Force in NYC.

I think it is BECAUSE I know so many police officers personally, and the experiences they had/have, and the kinds of recruits that the NYPD continues to target, is precisely why I believe they are not "NYC's finest"...unless of course they meant "NYC's Finest bottom tier students." Unfortunately this is not my assertion based on random thoughts, it is based on my lifetime experience as a resident of NYC, my parents experiences, and our friends' experience. If you believe that the NYC Police Dept is filled moreso with the private school elite that shunned the 6 figure salary to do the "noble" thing and become a cop, as opposed to the blue collar kids from NYC public schools who also have blue collar parents in the force or other union jobs.....then we will agree to disagree.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:50 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,865 times
Guy, long time no speak, as usual this topic causes us to discuss, so here goes

Quote:
The stats of 1st year potential of $45k is from the city and the dept..not me. If you don't/choose not to believe it you should take it up with them.
In the spirit of an honest debate, Guy, it is YOU who posted that cops can earn 45K in the first yr, when someone Q's your stat, you should at least explain why it is you believe it. In this case, you could crunch the numbers yourself and explain how much OT is required for a rookie to make 45K. Not all stats that we post are easily verifiable, but this 45K stat can be crunched using some JHS Math:

Rookie makes 25K annual for first 6 months, then salary goes to 32K annual upon graduation from Academy. So the first 6 months gets the Rookie $12,500.

At 32K the Rookie is working about 43 hrs a week. 16K / 26 work weeks = $615 a week /43 hrs = $14.30 an hour and an OT rate of $21.50

At straight time the rookie would make the $12,500 in the Academy + 16K for 6 months out of the Academy= $28,500. This means the Rookie needs $16,500 to make 45K.

So...

$16,500 / OT Rate of $21.5 = About 767 hrs of OT, or the equivalent of an extra 18 weeks of work a yr. Of course if the Rookie works night, he'll get some night differential of about 2K a yr, which drops his extra work to about 15 weeks a yr

And that is probably why the city's recruitment posters don't mention the extra 4-5 months/a yr. a rookie has to work to make all of 45K for 16-18 months of work.

I know there will be those who think this is a lot of money. If that is your feeling, then by all means join the NYPD, b/c the truth is not enough people have been signing up for the NYPD test. Also, the NYPD has lowered standards to the point that even a cop that was caught not invoicing a firearm and sending a picture of himself in full uniform flashing gang signs to his brother in prison was NOT fired. THAT is how low standards have fallen and how desperate the NYPD is to retain whatever cops it can.

Simple market economics have caused a shortage in overall applicants to the NYPD, and an even bigger shortage of qualified applicants. The NYPD is by far the lowest paid in the area, and that is NOT a selling point to ANY group of workers.

We can argue all day, I may not convince anyone here, but most here aren't interested in joining the NYPD anyway. As for those out there who would like to be cops, reality has convinced many young people NOT to join the NYPD, and many that are accepted today are never going to make decent detectives that can replace the ones who are retiring. That will make locking up the bad guys for a long time much more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City