Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

Bonuses paid to wives who hold top tier MBAs? Performance reviews over Tuesday night dinner? Didn't Sarah Ferguson once quip - "This isn't a marriage. It's a job."?

Poor Little Rich Women
New York Times
By WEDNESDAY MARTIN
May 16, 2015
(website) http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/op...ich-women.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
" The wives of the masters of the universe, I learned, are a lot like mistresses "

That is exactly what they are....

Ohh...the things we do for money.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
These women should be packed up and sent to the burbs to be soccer mom's.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nah, they should just get rid of people from poor countries like Guyana. I'd rather live in the city with these women than Guyanese or other third worlders. These women are Americans they can live wherever they want to within their own country.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Nah, they should just get rid of people from poor countries like Guyana. I'd rather live in the city with these women than Guyanese or other third worlders. These women are Americans they can live wherever they want to within their own country.
Stop trolling me. Do you want me to start making offensive comments about black people and gays? It's amazing how I was able to upset you even though I did not even mention or say anything about you. Shame on you.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Stop trolling me. Do you want me to start making offensive comments about black people and gays? It's amazing how I was able to upset you even though I did not even mention or say anything about you. Shame on you.
I'd rather be around well educated AMERICANS (of any race) rather than poor immigrants OR low class African Americans. So my comments stand.

Better to be around these women than poor immigrants from GUYANA (and other really poor uneducated places) AND GHETTO BLACKS. For that matter I don't like all gays. Gentrification got rid of a lot of the low class gays from Manhattan. And I was happy. All that ghetto has been pretty much entirely displaced from the West Village, Chelsea, and Hells Kitchen. The same thing is getting rid of the remaining scum in the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I am happy that Manhattan is full of civilized people with class.

But enough of my personal preferences. You are practically off the boat so who are you to tell people who have been living in this country where they can or cannot live? If you are so proud of your Guyanese identity you do not need an exit visa to leave the US!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
They're already in Bronxville, Scarsdale and Roslyn! That's why Soul Cycle opened up there.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'd rather be around well educated AMERICANS (of any race) rather than poor immigrants OR low class African Americans. So my comments stand.

Better to be around these women than poor immigrants from GUYANA (and other really poor uneducated places) AND GHETTO BLACKS. For that matter I don't like all gays. Gentrification got rid of a lot of the low class gays from Manhattan. And I was happy. All that ghetto has been pretty much entirely displaced from the West Village, Chelsea, and Hells Kitchen. The same thing is getting rid of the remaining scum in the Lower East Side and Chinatown. I am happy that Manhattan is full of civilized people with class.

But enough of my personal preferences. You are practically off the boat so who are you to tell people who have been living in this country where they can or cannot live? If you are so proud of your Guyanese identity you do not need an exit visa to leave the US!
Dude what is your issue? Also you sound very off beat. We are having a topic about something else and now you are having a tirade about how you hate immigrants and undesirables? Get a life guy. And for your information I'm still deciding whether or not I should do the expat thing or the transplant thing.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:51 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
I'm all for women's rights even if that means a woman wants to better herself by obtaining advanced degrees and then stay home to support her spouse, family and community. The value of an education is that no one can ever take away the knowledge one gains from it.

In today's age if a man wishes to become a stay at home dad supported by his wife then let him do it as well and be the primary nurturer.

The thing being overlooked here is that once a woman becomes dependent on a man, and bares his children, staying becomes easier than leaving. It's difficult to get out of. However, they always have those advanced degrees to fall back on if they need to start over.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Dude what is your issue? Also you sound very off beat. We are having a topic about something else and now you are having a tirade about how you hate immigrants and undesirables? Get a life guy. And for your information I'm still deciding whether or not I should do the expat thing or the transplant thing.
If anything, the women in the article and their hedge fund husbands are not going to take a chance with a ghetto nabe on the edge of gentrification. The UES blocks where they live have been wealthy for a long time already. When they do move to a neighborhood (Park Slope?), chances are it has already been cleaned up by someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
The thing being overlooked here is that once a woman becomes dependent on a man, and bares his children, staying becomes easier than leaving.
Especially if the marriage contract stipulates that they get paid a performance bonus upon achievement of certain goals. The author did not mention what the age gap is between wives and their wealthy husbands. The essay would have been more interesting if she included that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City