U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
6,037 posts, read 6,078,917 times
Reputation: 4754

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Don't pretend that white people don't bare some of that responsibility either. There's definitely historical context not only in terms of discrimination in housing, jobs, and in educational opportunities, there's horrible public policy?

The other thing is Chicago bulldozed a lot of privately owned housing that Black people were living in and they placed those people in housing projects. Only a few years ago, Chicago destroyed the housing projects and relocated those people via Section 8 to working class neighborhoods that degenerated into violent ghettoes. Clearly bad government policy is at place. The government created the situation when it actively ghettoized Black people in the projects in Chicago in the first place.

And how would a decent working person (not everyone in these neighborhoods is a criminal) get out? It's certainly not impossible ,but it's not necessarily something one can do in a year, particularly if that person works in retail or some other near minimum wage job. We all know safe neighborhoods in Chicago are going to be expensive, and it certainly takes time for people to work their way up socioeconomically. I think your words are extremely damaging and hurtful to poor Black people who do live in these neighborhoods, who do indeed have to worry about being victims of GANG violence (and police violence) and who have no easy way out (there are ways out, not easy and certainly not quick). Keep in mind not everyone has the same choices as where to live.
Oh I absolutely do blame white people. If they hadn't dragged the indigenous people of Africa over here against their will to pick cotton because they were either too lazy to do it themselves or too cheap to pay a fair wage to legitimate workers, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. But that ship has sailed and there is nothing white people can do about it now to put that genie back in the bottle. Only black people can fix the black community but they have to want to. That's the rub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM
 
901 posts, read 1,163,949 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Oh I absolutely do blame white people. If they hadn't dragged the indigenous people of Africa over here against their will to pick cotton because they were either too lazy to do it themselves or too cheap to pay a fair wage to legitimate workers, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. But that ship has sailed and there is nothing white people can do about it now to put that genie back in the bottle. Only black people can fix the black community but they have to want to. That's the rub.
......so this forum still support troll threads

First of all blacks no Africans actually perpetuated slavery by not only practicing it themselves (still do) within their tribes, but sold their own people to the so called white slave masters for a profit. That "ship" isn't as black and white History textbooks written by white males, make it out to be.

Read, hell YouTube that **** go learn our history then end.

Probably 23pgs of more misinformed crap in here especially when someone cites a Lil ****ing Wayne vid to talk about White/ black relations

And for the record slavery, racism or white privilege have almost nothing to do with b/w relations today. All that buzz is well buzz which draws attention away from the more important structural issues that idk you'd need to have some intellect to discuss. Lets not because Black Lives Matter, racism, slavery, white privilege, DWB, are just easier marketing terms slogans to regurgitate.

Oh idk lets talk about how Black male unemployment in NYC (can't recall exact yr) in 2012 was 25-33%
and for the most part ignored throughout Obama's entire presidency. Dude couldn't even take care of his hometown Chiraq even when he was a senator. The funny thing is in public blacks well praise Obama only because Obama was the only option they got and not out of admiration. Behind close doors and among the more affluent African Americans what do they always say, "...he's done **** for Black people." Tell me I'm wrong black folks I know you know many too many African Americans from all walks of life had made that statement b/c it's bloody true. Historically, even Bill Clinton has done more for you all than the Black man put in oval office. Lets think about THAT or better yet why media just ignores.

Rest My ****ing Case

Or want more?

Hey lets talk about how discriminatory housing laws and various LIHTC homes have not only destroyed but crippled black communities. Oh lets not forget the whole Trump fiasco about how he kicked blacks out. Nope and fyi I knew some African Americans that lived in some of Trump's buildings..it's called rules no drugs, loitering, or garbage.

**** that lets just rant about BLM despite I'd say 90% don't even know what its about, white privilege, $15/hr, the taboo word racism, and slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Oh I absolutely do blame white people. If they hadn't dragged the indigenous people of Africa over here against their will to pick cotton because they were either too lazy to do it themselves or too cheap to pay a fair wage to legitimate workers, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. But that ship has sailed and there is nothing white people can do about it now to put that genie back in the bottle. Only black people can fix the black community but they have to want to. That's the rub.
Not entirely true. The nation as a whole will have to make decisions on things such as crime. Take mass incarceration. Many of the Black people who are incarcerated were not violent, and were imprisoned due to marijuana possession. There's a huge weed legalization movement, and it's currently legal in all Western states.

The nation could end the failed war on drugs, as the war on drugs is essentially the cause of a high incarceration rates.

If welfare as we currently have it is detrimental and gives incentives to bad behavior, it could be abolished. Stop giving out benefits to single unwed mothers, and as this certainly enabled people who have children when they shouldn't have (if the parents can't take care of a child at that particularly point, why have a child). There's a lot the nation as a whole should do, because we all live here. This doesn't absolve people of individual responsibility.

With that said, I'm Black, and it's not like I can just go to Chicago and tell people how to behave. I'd rather not get SHOT myself. And it's why I said people like don't see Black people as human, apparently. How can someone simply just tell someone who is a dangerous criminal to just change their ways? You do realize you can't just go up to someone and tell them to use birth control and not have children until their ready without possible bodily injury done to yourself. Some people are so screwed up I think there is little hope that they will become productive human beings. However if the conditions producing such people are eliminated, one can save future generations.

The entire country will have to own the bad decisions made due to racism, not just discrimination across different walks of life, but the easy welfare and the encouragement of bad behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 PM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
......so this forum still support troll threads

First of all blacks no Africans actually perpetuated slavery by not only practicing it themselves (still do) within their tribes, but sold their own people to the so called white slave masters for a profit. That "ship" isn't as black and white History textbooks written by white males, make it out to be.

Read, hell YouTube that **** go learn our history then end.

Probably 23pgs of more misinformed crap in here especially when someone cites a Lil ****ing Wayne vid to talk about White/ black relations

And for the record slavery, racism or white privilege have almost nothing to do with b/w relations today. All that buzz is well buzz which draws attention away from the more important structural issues that idk you'd need to have some intellect to discuss. Lets not because Black Lives Matter, racism, slavery, white privilege, DWB, are just easier marketing terms slogans to regurgitate.

Oh idk lets talk about how Black male unemployment in NYC (can't recall exact yr) in 2012 was 25-33%
and for the most part ignored throughout Obama's entire presidency. Dude couldn't even take care of his hometown Chiraq even when he was a senator. The funny thing is in public blacks well praise Obama only because Obama was the only option they got and not out of admiration. Behind close doors and among the more affluent African Americans what do they always say, "...he's done **** for Black people." Tell me I'm wrong black folks I know you know many too many African Americans from all walks of life had made that statement b/c it's bloody true. Historically, even Bill Clinton has done more for you all than the Black man put in oval office. Lets think about THAT or better yet why media just ignores.

Rest My ****ing Case

Or want more?

Hey lets talk about how discriminatory housing laws and various LIHTC homes have not only destroyed but crippled black communities. Oh lets not forget the whole Trump fiasco about how he kicked blacks out. Nope and fyi I knew some African Americans that lived in some of Trump's buildings..it's called rules no drugs, loitering, or garbage.

**** that lets just rant about BLM despite I'd say 90% don't even know what its about, white privilege, $15/hr, the taboo word racism, and slavery.
What was Obama going to do for Black people and how? The US is not a Black majority nation, and is the President of the entire nation, not of Black people.

What has Bill Clinton done for Black people? Oh, he passed the three strikes and you're out law that got large numbers of Black people inprisoned for drug felonies. So I'm not a fan, particularly when we all know white people do large numbers of drugs, but they are not locked up in large numbers.

When has Black male employment figures in NYC ever been that good? You find Black people mostly in retail, janitorial, or other low paying jobs. Not all Black people, but there has never been a time in NYC when Black people weren't disproportionately poor and unemployed. Same with Chicago. So how was Obama supposed to change that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 AM
 
1,975 posts, read 1,234,875 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The entire country will have to own the bad decisions made due to racism, not just discrimination across different walks of life, but the easy welfare and the encouragement of bad behaviors.
Seems rather doubtful anyone will own up to anything. Majority of people responsible for the bad decisions will be long dead and our education system doesn't inspire hope. The other side of your argument is republican conservatives also benefit from keeping their white constitutes poor and ignorant as the majority of people who graduate from university tend to be liberal leaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 AM
 
23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Reputation: 8529
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Seems rather doubtful anyone will own up to anything. Majority of people responsible for the bad decisions will be long dead and our education system doesn't inspire hope. The other side of your argument is republican conservatives also benefit from keeping their white constitutes poor and ignorant as the majority of people who graduate from university tend to be liberal leaning.
You do have successful movements against mass incarceration. Marijuana is now legal in the West Coast, and as noted the war in drugs was a huge factor in wrecking Black families. Recognition of that, and successful movements to end this war at local and state levels are sings of substantial progress.

Movements that ended stop and frisk in NYC are examples of that,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 08:03 PM
 
Location: 2 blocks from bay in L.I, NY
1,588 posts, read 1,276,254 times
Reputation: 2482
Default Repped this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not entirely true. The nation as a whole will have to make decisions on things such as crime. Take mass incarceration. Many of the Black people who are incarcerated were not violent, and were imprisoned due to marijuana possession. There's a huge weed legalization movement, and it's currently legal in all Western states.

The nation could end the failed war on drugs, as the war on drugs is essentially the cause of a high incarceration rates.

If welfare as we currently have it is detrimental and gives incentives to bad behavior, it could be abolished. Stop giving out benefits to single unwed mothers, and as this certainly enabled people who have children when they shouldn't have (if the parents can't take care of a child at that particularly point, why have a child). There's a lot the nation as a whole should do, because we all live here. This doesn't absolve people of individual responsibility.

With that said, I'm Black, and it's not like I can just go to Chicago and tell people how to behave. I'd rather not get SHOT myself. And it's why I said people like don't see Black people as human, apparently. How can someone simply just tell someone who is a dangerous criminal to just change their ways? You do realize you can't just go up to someone and tell them to use birth control and not have children until their ready without possible bodily injury done to yourself. Some people are so screwed up I think there is little hope that they will become productive human beings. However if the conditions producing such people are eliminated, one can save future generations.

The entire country will have to own the bad decisions made due to racism, not just discrimination across different walks of life, but the easy welfare and the encouragement of bad behaviors.
I had to rep you on this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM
 
Location: 2 blocks from bay in L.I, NY
1,588 posts, read 1,276,254 times
Reputation: 2482
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Oh I absolutely do blame white people. If they hadn't dragged the indigenous people of Africa over here against their will to pick cotton because they were either too lazy to do it themselves or too cheap to pay a fair wage to legitimate workers, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. But that ship has sailed and there is nothing white people can do about it now to put that genie back in the bottle. Only black people can fix the black community but they have to want to. That's the rub.
Definitely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,482 posts, read 2,523,860 times
Reputation: 2554
I think condoms would go a long way too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 11:31 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
6,037 posts, read 6,078,917 times
Reputation: 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think condoms would go a long way too
Free metro card for a year for every qualifying abortion. Okay I'm being awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top