Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM

39 posts, read 50,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Black and Hispanics commit 90% of the violent crime in NYC. Given the statistics, people are going to be guarded towards strangers with a high probability of committing a crime towards them.

Since you are so good with stats, why don't you look up which race is most likely to sexually abuse children? Given the stats, all mothers should be very weary of white men, but of course, this is not the case. People treat white men as individuals and do not label ALL white men as child predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM

It is my hope that this thread does not become a place where hateful people post vile comments about so called black criminality to justify their racism.

Please stay on topic. I initially posed my question, because I am looking for viable solutions to my original post!

Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,263,152 times
Did you ask this before felt like you did, I think you are just are looking for responses you will not like to stir this pot (this pot everyone on here talks about?). Well anyways I'll give in. I could be wearing a suit with a tie, if I am walking too fast yes the lady in front of me will start holding her purse and even cross the street, and guess where we end up, yes in the same building where we work, on occasion we even end up on the same floor.... So don't feel bad happens to all of us...

Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
While this is true, doesn't it seem ignorant to draw conclusions against complete strangers? It almost seems as if you're justifying their behavior, as if each hispanic and black person looks automatically menacing. That's like me when I'm in minority neighborhoods, and the black and hispanic people automatically judge me because of my racial background.
The statement you're responding to wasn't properly worded. It's not true that a given black/hispanic individual is likely (> 50% chance) to commit a crime against a random passerby in NYC. What the 90% statistic meant was that, if you're the victim of a crime in NYC, the probability of the perpetrator being black or hispanic is 90%. That does not mean 90% of blacks and hispanic in NYC are criminals.

That said, it's not necessarily ignorant (or racist) to be more careful in the presence of certain people than in the presence of others. The person who is being careful is just responding to their experiences and the information they have gathered.

I'd actually make the case that black and hispanic criminals are doing most of the damage to the reputations of law-abiding black and hispanic residents of NYC. Because such a high percentage of crimes in NYC are committed by blacks and hispanics (presumably male >>> female), people will tend to view blacks and hispanics they don't know in a more skeptical light than they view those they don't know who are not black and hispanic. It's the same reason people are more concerned when they walk past men than women.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:00 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
MaryJane - looking at your past postings, you basically ONLY talk about race. I think that's the main issue.

If you are always looking for "racism", you will find it.

P.S. I read in your last thread that you earn $110k/year.
Making $110,000 a year is really not a lot of money in NYC, so take it easy with you calling yourself "Wealthy"
That is kind of why I said what I did. Seems some people just want to keep stirring the pot.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Black and Hispanics commit 90% of the violent crime in NYC. Given the statistics, people are going to be guarded towards strangers with a high probability of committing a crime towards them.
Exactly! Common sense really.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
It is my hope that this thread does not become a place where hateful people post vile comments about so called black criminality to justify their racism.

Please stay on topic. I initially posed my question, because I am looking for viable solutions to my original post!
What else did you expect? This is a "troll" type of comment/thread. And when people call out Racism. They have lost the argument. Try something NEW that is an old term at this point.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:05 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Since you are so good with stats, why don't you look up which race is most likely to sexually abuse children? Given the stats, all mothers should be very weary of white men, but of course, this is not the case. People treat white men as individuals and do not label ALL white men as child predators.
Many male professional teachers avoid early childhood education teaching, because of what you mentioned. The gender gap is over 95% of women in the profession compared to men.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The statement you're responding to wasn't properly worded. It's not true that a given black/hispanic individual is likely (> 50% chance) to commit a crime against a random passerby in NYC. What the 90% statistic meant was that, if you're the victim of a crime in NYC, the probability of the perpetrator being black or hispanic is 90%. That does not mean 90% of blacks and hispanic in NYC are criminals.

That said, it's not necessarily ignorant (or racist) to be more careful in the presence of certain people than in the presence of others. The person who is being careful is just responding to their experiences and the information they have gathered.

I'd actually make the case that black and hispanic criminals are doing most of the damage to the reputations of law-abiding black and hispanic residents of NYC. Because such a high percentage of crimes in NYC are committed by blacks and hispanics (presumably male >>> female), people will tend to view blacks and hispanics they don't know in a more skeptical light than they view those they don't know who are not black and hispanic. It's the same reason people are more concerned when they walk past men than women.
I was on Amtrak recently, sitting next to a white male. I usually sleep when I'm on Amtrak, but while trying to catch a few zzzz's, I heard strange sounds, so I opened my eyes and quickly noticed that the guy sitting next to me had his hands in his pants and it appeared as though he was playing with his penis. I had never been in such a situation, so naturally, I froze from shock. I could barely think, but decided that I would report him, but upon me getting up, he quickly removed his hands and tried to pretend that he had not engaged in any sexual misconduct. I followed through with reporting him to the conductor, and changed my seat, but that situation really got to me. I don't know what he would have done if I had not woken up!

Despite that incident, I try to treat people as individuals, but perhaps I should take your advice and be more discerning in the presence of certain people, particularly white males who believe it's ok to engage in public masturbation.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:06 PM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
I am very curious (fellow black people), how to deal with the below issue? I have noticed on a few occasions, when I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of white males, a number of them will always put their hands in their back pant pocket, to "safe guard" their wallet. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does. I have never been one to care about what other people think, but it is particularly upsetting because of the assumptions made, based on my skin color alone.

Again, I know that I shouldn't care, but I do believe in sticking up for myself. I am curious if this has happened to you. If so, how did you deal with it? If I'm on the train and I observe them engaging in that behavior, I'll move to another area.

What I often find interesting is, many of them are living with 4 other people in an apartment just to afford rent, while I'm the one who is actually from a wealthy family and has my own business, yet due to my skin color alone, I'm immediately judged as a low life thief.

I know that I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of treatment. Do you just ignore it or do you confront the ignorance? I have thought about making a statement, but it's not even worth it, because I refuse to prove myself to those whom I know are trash, based on their actions.
Tons of assumptions in your post for someone complaining about an assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City