U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2017, 11:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
4,246 posts, read 6,387,579 times
Reputation: 3852

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseToLoveNY View Post
The only thing that will fix Upstate NY at this point is a mile-wide asteroid.
A mile-wide asteroid is going to "fix" a hell of a lot more than upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2017, 03:33 AM
 
2,685 posts, read 3,581,040 times
Reputation: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A: There is no legal mechanism to keep people out of a place.
I can't (nor will) speak for some of the ridiculously racist posts here but I will say this: NY would do better by all it's people if it focused on giving people a hand up instead of a hand out. Things like affordable housing, pre-k, etc are good things in one sense. However, if the emphasis is on keeping people locked into dependency rather than helping people to rise then we all suffer. Many people's frustration is that people like De Blasio hail from the 1960s/1970s mentality of packing as many non-working poor in as they can and keeping them in the system so as to have a built in welfare class voter base to draw from (off all colors: look how many white kids are sleeping on the streets now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 AM
 
115 posts, read 68,755 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I can't (nor will) speak for some of the ridiculously racist posts here but I will say this: NY would do better by all it's people if it focused on giving people a hand up instead of a hand out. Things like affordable housing, pre-k, etc are good things in one sense. However, if the emphasis is on keeping people locked into dependency rather than helping people to rise then we all suffer. Many people's frustration is that people like De Blasio hail from the 1960s/1970s mentality of packing as many non-working poor in as they can and keeping them in the system so as to have a built in welfare class voter base to draw from (off all colors: look how many white kids are sleeping on the streets now).
You do understand the reason why NYC has to provide services to anyone who is homeless in the city is because of a court case ordering the City (and every city in NY) to do so right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 AM
 
2,685 posts, read 3,581,040 times
Reputation: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharlem1 View Post
You do understand the reason why NYC has to provide services to anyone who is homeless in the city is because of a court case ordering the City (and every city in NY) to do so right?
Yes, and if I was mayor I'd do what Utah did and give out housing vouchers which would be good for anywhere in the US. No need to keep people housed in the most expensive city in the world when you can house 4-5 families in a just as booming a city like Dallas or Atlanta for the same cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM
 
23,276 posts, read 16,124,122 times
Reputation: 8555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Yes, and if I was mayor I'd do what Utah did and give out housing vouchers which would be good for anywhere in the US. No need to keep people housed in the most expensive city in the world when you can house 4-5 families in a just as booming a city like Dallas or Atlanta for the same cost.
The Supreme Court ruled on the right to travel. Meaning any American can move to any city anywhere in the nation and they cannot be denied welfare services. This doesn't just affect NYC, it affects all 50 states.

I'm not saying your ideas are bad, and I do think there should be residency requirements for social services, but the reality is ALL states must ABIDE by the Supreme Court ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2017, 11:18 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,292,689 times
Reputation: 2834
A major distributor is going to leave Syracuse soon. Another blow to upstate NY.

Northeast costs are just too high relative to the South. Especially for jobs that aren't very highly skilled.
NYC, Boston, etc. work because of density, illiegal immigration, and foreign investment. Places like Syracuse don't have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top