Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 06:09 PM

21 posts, read 10,620 times

Advertisements

hello,

i need some advice on my rental situation... i live in a apartment that the ''landlord'' rents out which is a rent stabilized rental building and he just profits from collecting rent and doesn't even pay the actual rent or live in the apt. he is not even on the rental contract. its like a double sublease situation... i cant afford to move out atm even if i wanted to and i feel its not fair for people like this to profit while i and ppl like me can barely manage to survive on min wage, paying school, bills etc. what can i do about this situation pls help

Old 07-08-2017, 06:52 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polandspring View Post
hello,

i need some advice on my rental situation... i live in a apartment that the ''landlord'' rents out which is a rent stabilized rental building and he just profits from collecting rent and doesn't even pay the actual rent or live in the apt. he is not even on the rental contract. its like a double sublease situation... i cant afford to move out atm even if i wanted to and i feel its not fair for people like this to profit while i and ppl like me can barely manage to survive on min wage, paying school, bills etc. what can i do about this situation pls help
Am not understanding the question. Either pay the rent or get out. Cannot say it any simpler. You don't own the place and are simply a tenant. Sounds like you don't even have a lease, and if that's the case then that makes it even worse. If he isn't on the lease, why are you paying him then??

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-08-2017 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:02 PM

excuse me i do pay the rent he wants me to move out bc he wants to charge more which i dont want to pay bc theres no reason other than he wants to go on vacation etc. he claims to be friends with the owner of the building and using that to scare me but i need legal advice or advice from someone who has similar situation. and i didnt know he wasnt on the rent until recently so i been trying to do research on how to keep living here and would like to be on the lease and rent legally. i just cant afford to move out so if you can offer advice you welcome to! how rude are you and why are you so mad you miserable turd

Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
excuse me i do pay the rent he wants me to move out bc he wants to charge more which i dont want to pay bc theres no reason other than he wants to go on vacation etc. he claims to be friends with the owner of the building and using that to scare me but i need legal advice or advice from someone who has similar situation. and i didnt know he wasnt on the rent until recently so i been trying to do research on how to keep living here and would like to be on the lease and rent legally. i just cant afford to move out so if you can offer advice you welcome to! how rude are you and why are you so mad you miserable turd
So again... Why are you paying him if he's not on the lease? If you're subleasing then you have fewer rights because you're not the lease holder and if the apartment is his (it must be otherwise why are you paying him the rent?) then he can jack up the rent if he wants to. Who did you originally sublease the apartment from??

Old 07-08-2017, 07:12 PM

omg the apt is a rental unit its not his apartment duh he doesn't own **** if you cant read the whole post then stop replying.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Call 311 and find out what your rights are. If you've been there for a while, you have some.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

thank you

Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
omg the apt is a rental unit its not his apartment duh he doesn't own **** if you cant read the whole post then stop replying.
You're not answering my question. Are you subleasing the apartment and if so who did you originally sublease it from? I don't understand why you're paying him the rent if he isn't on the lease?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 PM

and you are not reading the post... ? i subleased from him thinking he was on the lease but found out that he actually wasn't and its someone else neither of which live in the apartment. why is that so hard to understand? and why do you care who it specifically is you're just being nosy and not helpful

Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
and you are not reading the post... ? i subleased from him thinking he was on the lease but found out that he actually wasn't and its someone else neither of which live in the apartment. why is that so hard to understand? and why do you care who it specifically is you're just being nosy and not helpful
You didn't state that you didn't know he was on the lease at first. You just said "i live in a apartment that the ''landlord'' rents out which is a rent stabilized rental building and he just profits from collecting rent and doesn't even pay the actual rent or live in the apt. he is not even on the rental contract. its like a double sublease situation..."

Now it is clear. No wonder you got yourself into a situation like this. You likely have some rights depending on how long you've been there and the fact that it is rent stabilized. The only thing you can do is to contact the housing office. I'm not asking because I'm "nosy", but rather because if you don't have a lease, your rights are limited as to what you can and cannot do. It's that simple. Without a lease, you don't have too much of a say in the matter. What a judge may do is allow you time to move if you need additional time, but outside of that, I can't see what "rights" you have to an apartment that you don't even have a lease for. Don't get pissy with me for subleasing a place. Should've moved into a legitimate place *WITH A LEASE*. I bet you'll learn your lesson next time. Since you've been in the apartment for a while, he would likely have to legally evict you if you don't agree to a rent increase, but make no mistake about it. Since you don't have a lease, he can likely move faster to get rid of you. If you do have a sublease, present it in court and explain the situation.

Either way, when subleasing, you don't have as many rights as you normally would, and whatever agreement you have with the person leasing you the place is what should stand in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: